Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin 520 started recording faster than normal
  • sam_underhill

All of a sudden my wife’s Garmin 520 has started recording faster segments in Strava way faster than normal. Like 1 minute quicker over a 5 or 6 minute segments. She’s definitely got a bit quicker lately, but the last few rides have shown huge numbers of PRs on segments that gut feel suggests is unrealistic.
    Anyone seen anything similar?

MrPottatoHead

What does the trace look like on a map-should highlight anything amiss. There were some offset issues with Garmin at start of year but thought that was all resolved and doesn’t really fit with this.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Any chance it’s an unusual tailwind direction? On the south coast we’ve been getting a lot of northerly breezes of late, instead of the normal prevailing south westerly.

jam-bo

Prime conditions at the moment in the west.

Hero dirt and the summer growth isn’t here yet is meaning some really fast times.

mashr

Garmin doesn’t record Segments separately, does the whole ride seem off? Otherwise just get over it and accept she’s faster than you now 😉

sam_underhill

Good point re checking the whole route trace. I get that Garmin isn’t doing the seg recording, but the effect is seen on the Strava segs.
    Every chance she could be faster! but when I’ve plodded along a seg and she’s mostly done the same, behind me, it definitely seems unrealistic.
    More detailed analysis of the times required.

sam_underhill

Looks like 2 climbs yesterday with trees around it are obvious candidates. She was 2 mins quicker than me on one climb according to Strava, yet I was at least a minute waiting at the top. Might just be the odd anomaly, but the trace on a map looks fine.

jam-bo

Maybe you stopped to wait before the end of segment.

scaredypants

is it on classifieds yet ?

ayjaydoubleyou

Go for a solo ride with both devices on your bars.

DickBarton

Is it doing smart tracking or 1-second tracking? Smart tracking likely to give more inaccuracies as it requires a change of direction (and possibly speed) to get a recording.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 520 started recording faster than normal’ is closed to new replies.