Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Garmin 520….should I go Plus?
  • patagonian
    Free Member

Been looking at the 520’s but not sure if it’s worth going to the Plus for offroad. Yes it has maps but I’m assuming they won’t benefit me as I usually use breadcrumb trails. Is it worth paying extra for the Plus because I’m guessing they aren’t even OS maps.
    Not interested in the training/sensor options basically after a unit that will be fine for following long distance trips.
    And to make matters worse the Edge 130 is getting good write ups!
    I’m long sighted so it needs to be clear and the 130 has increased pixels.

Anyone using any these?

downhillfast
    Free Member

I’ve got the “normal” 520, I downloaded Openstreet Maps (check the DC Rainmaker site) as tbh the installed Garmin maps were crap. It’s OK for following routes, and has the Strava Routes and Trail forks apps on it, which is handy.

I think there are maybe better options out there now though…

avdave2

Not interested in the training/sensor options basically after a unit that will be fine for following long distance trips.

Would you not be better off with the Edge Explore?

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I think it’s hard to beat the Edge Touring absolutely wonderful machine for routing and should be able to pick up cheap on Ebay.

Ewan
    Free Member

If you want something reliable get an element bolt.

craig24
    Free Member

I think it’s hard to beat the Edge Touring absolutely wonderful machine for routing and should be able to pick up cheap on Ebay.

Second this, very happy with mine.

patagonian
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments.
    Explore and Touring sound interesting, I’d missed both of those. The Touring in particular because it mentions off-road routing.

Bez

They both basically use the same maps and will do off road routing provided the trails are on the map (most are, but obviously not all).

The Explore has a better screen, the touch works well, it has wireless and IQ Connect, and a much faster processor. But you can get the Touring (or 800) secondhand for about half the price of an Explore.

avdave2

The Touring in particular because it mentions off-road routing.

Best way to get off road routing on the tour is to ask it for a road route, it’s guaranteed then to take you off road `:-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 520….should I go Plus?’ is closed to new replies.