Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Garmin 500/800 Noob Q's
  • Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Thinking of getting one for training. Both road and MTB. Would want to use for MTB for navigation (in new area’s)and Europe for navigation also. Does the 500 have any sort of navigation properties. I can see that it doesnt have a GPS direction screen like the 800 but have read that you can put in pre programmed routes and it tell you if you’re following it.
    Cant work out whether the 500 is a glorified computer and way short of the 800 in performance or whether there isnt much difference in use (give or take the odd function.)Anyone used both and their preference ???

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’ve just got a 500 and the mapping is limited to a “beadcrumb” trail – no roads, paths or directions etc. I didn’t get it for the mapping and I suspect the mapping for me will be emergency use only. The 800 has the ability to have full mapping including ordnance survey and turn by turn directions.

In summary, if you want a really good bike computer with the ability to add HRM and cadence etc then the 500 is great. If you want it for any sort of navigation help then you need the 800.

didgy2
    Free Member

I have the 705, bought second hand for £150 when the 800 came out 😀 This has colour screen, turn by turn route follow, track route as you ride so you can “back track” if you get lost. Easy to download routes and put them on the edge. Battery lasted 2 days when i left it on, so no worries of it not lasting a ride. records everything, speed, average speed, total altitude climbed, distance, cadence, heart rate.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 500/800 Noob Q's’ is closed to new replies.