Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin 500 and strava
  • mrmoofo

I have a garmin 500 I use to track my “get fit” programme

The ****er keeps on losing / not downloading rides … it did it again tonight (the doen load crashed , and then told me it was downloaded so I couldn’t access it !

It worked (this time) on the garmin site – but that doesn’t subtract non cycling time ….

Are Garmin 500s flaky ?
    Or am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks

mrblobby
    Free Member

How do you download it? If it’s to strava you can just do a manual upload and find the file directly on the garmin (Garmin -> Activities). Find this seems to work better than the automatic one (at least it does on Garmin Connect.)

cubemeup
    Free Member

Mine is fine so far, misses out a good few segments tho

mrmoofo

ok – maybe I try the manual route …
    Thanks

mrmoofo

Mine is fine so far, misses out a good few segments tho

So why do you think it is fine , if it misses bits?

stumpy01

I don’t use Strava but my Garmin uploads stuff to the Garmin Connect website ok. I find the best way to ensure that the Garmin is found by the software is to plug it in and leave it until the laptop bing bongs. If I don’t do that it can be a bit rubbish at being located…it seems to take a lot longer than other usb devices to be found.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mines is fine and doesnt miss bits …… Compared to my 8 year old edge 205 its much more accurate….

Uploads into strava with a single click ime bad uploads are due to out of date browsers of java not being up to date

mrmoofo

Strava up to date, Garmin up to date, browser up to date – but I will try firefox rather than safari. Java up to date ( i did that two days ago)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For fool proof copy the file from the Garmain as a memory stick then upload it. Browse your 500 to see what is on there.

FuzzyWuzzy

Strava manual upload from file is a zillion times faster for me on my 500 than the auto-upload (which hangs about 20% of the time to). I do occasionally miss segments though as my GPS track appears slightly off where it should be on the map, I just assume it lost it’s satellite fix at those points (only happens in tree cover for me) and just guessed until it locked on again.

Shred
    Free Member

I’ve found that keeping the Activities folder on the Garmin empty helps a lot.
    I upload after a couple of rides to both Garmin Connect and Strava.
    I then browse to the folder and copy the files in this folder to a backup drive, and delete them off the device.

That way it is not scanning through all your rides trying to find new ones, and it makes the whole process much easier.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 500 and strava’ is closed to new replies.