Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Garmin 205. Elevation accuracy ?
  • takisawa2

How accurate is the elevation recording on the Edge 205 ?
    We did a 14 mile ride on Sunday & the Garmin is telling me (via Motionbased.com) that we climbed (& descended) about 3,500ft.
    It was route around Cannock Chase, not the FtD, but Sherbrook Valley, rifle ranges etc.
    3500ft just sounds a lot, there was a fair bit of climbing but that figure just sounds a bit high.
    Route can be seen HERE & HERE

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

tracklogs says 1375ft of up and down using OS data

wwaswas

yes, motionbased always give total elevation change.

I did 14000ft last summer riding round Stanmer Park in Brighton for the afternoon. It did feel like ti to even though it subsequently turned out to only be 7009ft of actuall climbing.

andym
    Free Member

2,000 metres of climbing in an afternoon? Hmm.

EDIT: or is that 1,000metres of climbing then a 1,000 metres of descending?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

7000ft of climbing in Brighton 😯

wwaswas

was the g2 revolver race thing.

was spread over 40 odd miles and there were people who did quite a bit more than me – total riding time was 5 hours 42 minutes – so my average speed was pretty rubbish to be honest.

aP
    Free Member

I did 5000m of climbing last July and it was a pretty solid day doing it. Did get up to 2700m elevation at one point though.

Lanesra
    Free Member

It has nothing to do with the Edge 205 as it does not record altitude as such, you get your altitude from the GPS data when sent to a map. The 305 upwards record altitude using a barometric altimeter

john_l
    Free Member

I’ve found that my 205 is wildly inaccurate when using Motionbased (even looking at just the ascent), Tracklogs seems to be a bit more realistic.

So presumably it’s Motionbased that’s driving the inaccuracies?

7000ft of climbing in Brighton

the hills may not be that high down here, but there’s a lot of them!

wwaswas

actually, I did some more checking and it was actually 14000ft of climbing, 28000ft of overall altitude change.

I fell better about being rubbish now.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I’ve had some mixed results from my old 205 and now my 605. Sometimes it seems quite accurate and other times in really is pants. the best example is when you do a circular ride and it has the finish as 250m lower than the start!

wwaswas

7 laps at 2000ft of climbing per lap;

memorymap agrees with motionbased.

andym
    Free Member

Going by the graph:

– a climb of 200 to 500 is 300 plus maybe another 100 for the bits and bobs;
    – plus a climb of 220 to 420.

Looks more like 600 feet to me.

tonto
    Free Member

have you considered fractal geometry 🙂

wwaswas

well, the map came from Neil Newell (of very quick sdw singlespeed fame) from my 205 logs and he said it was 2000ft climb per lap.

there is a lot of up and down in that 400ft climb…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 205. Elevation accuracy ?’ is closed to new replies.