Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • ‘GARLIC’ BREAD??!!
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Rider household have decided to save the koalas and whales (and impending debt-doom) by buying each other the ‘no-presents’ option for this year’s upcoming Shitty General Brelexmas.

But – life goes on, and we don’t have a garlic press so have decided that will be the one thing in a parcel under the tree from Santa.

NY Resolution being to make vast majority of econovegemeals from scratch, so many curries and much hummus on the cards. Needs to be hardy, not fancy. Think rigid steel 29er not Carbon roadie

So, up to £20 absolute max. WWSTWD?

beej
    howsyourdad1
    Free Member

A Garlic press takes longer to clean than use and serves a single use function. Ergo, a waste of time and money 🙂

Hope that helps!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Pestle and mortar actually a top suggestion. I wrecked our old one making paint in it 😬

Best pestle and mortar for twennyquids?

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve got an oxo gg and it takes seconds to clean, just goes in the washing bowl with everything else. My pestle and mortar takes for ever, its normally full of change, paper clips ect, ect. So it’s got to be emptied then cleaned before and after use, and I’ve got to sort out all the junk that I’ve taken out of it in the first place 🙁

nuke

Hate cleaning garlic presses so got this Joseph Joseph steel rocker a few years ago…

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joseph-Rocker-Garlic-Crusher-Silver/dp/B007P5UVWA/

Easy to use and easy to clean. Do a plastic version but i read they could break when putting your back into it in use

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

OXO Good Grips – very sturdy.

Is pish, rubber came away from metal early on, doesn’t get out the drawer now.

I have a wee fine grater (think the ones you use for nutmeg) that I use for garlic, or I buy the stuff that comes out of a tube.

smashit
    Free Member

We’ve got a Joseph and Joseph too, but the Clean Press. Comes in two for cleaning.

https://www.josephjoseph.com/en-gb/clean-press

bruneep

I just crush with back of a knife, never felt the need for a garlic crusher

DezB
    Free Member

Garlic? Bash it, slice it. Presses are pointless, unless that’s really what you want for Christmas! 😀

Mat

My wife insists on using a garlic press, I hate washing the damn thing and it seems to leave a good bit of garlic unpressed. I much rather chopping it up with an knife.

scotroutes

Crush with a flat knife. No press and stupid cleaning required. Less waste too.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve always just bashed (to help remove the “skin”) and sliced too. Do you have a knife OP?

FB-ATB

Bash it with a saucepan & save £20.

ads678

Yep I bash mine too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

https://dexam.co.uk/garlic-press-cherry-pitter-and-nutcracker?gclid=CjwKCAiAlO7uBRANEiwA_vXQ-7YRZBEVxAPMT-uw_qX7iUrk-sKHUF2MQvI27dhN0PagU59NIqICXRoCHKMQAvD_BwE

We have one of them.

Most of the time I just chuck my garlic in a mini chopper with all the spices onions and a little olive oil

Sometimes I use the back of a knife (but with the qty of garlic I use in something’s that gets boring fast. )

eddiebaby
    Free Member

THe business! Washes the garlic smell off your hands as well.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

microwave for 6-10secs, skin will fall off

benv
    Free Member

I just crush with back of a knife, never felt the need for a garlic crusher

This. Slice with knife, few rock back and forths to finely chop then add few grains of salt to help with abrasion, only takes a few seconds to get a paste. More flavour as well as you extract more oil than putting through a garlic press.

Cougar

One of the handiest kitchen gadgets I had – until it got superseded by a chopper thingy attachment on my food mixer – was a mezzaluna. There’s something really rather satisfying in hacking up a big pile of herbs with one.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’ve always just bashed (to help remove the “skin”) and sliced too. Do you have a knife OP?

Funneh! I do have a broad knife, and normally bash, squash and chop (see my recipes on STW) all gsrlic but Mrs Rider requested as she likes to sprinkle garlic on pizza, ready meals, hummus etc. Trying to retain a little independence for her as is losing the use of her shoulder-joints and chopping is not often possible, but even then without pain/risk of worsening. Should’ve shared before asking but didn’t really want to go on about it. This became complicated very quickly! I could always chop some and seal in foil if I’m out for any length of time, but that sort of spoils the fun

cromolyolly
    Free Member

There was an article on the ‘best way to do garlic. Iirc, press for sweet and a little burn, chop for least sweet and most burn, and most flavour (keeping the oil, I think.). Pestle and mortar most sweet least burn (I think because you leave the most oil behind). Something like that.

If you give the garlic cloves a roll under the blade of a knife and chop the end off then put in in the press you can usually just tap out the stuff left behind.

mariner
    Free Member

Give a clove of garlic a light smack under a knife laid flat over the top to loosen the outer skin.
    Peel off outer skin and cut off root.
    Then a real smack under flat of knife to flatten the garlic then some salt to grip the garlic and attack with the pointy end of the knife dragged flat down across the garlic.
    Should reduce it to a paste in no time. The salt grips the garlic and stops it moving about.
    Don’t press too hard to start with or you will fire bits of garlic round the kitchen.
    Shouldn’t take too long to master the technique. Best to get a small garlic board.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Roast the whole bulb then smoosh it out into a jar with oil for the instant garlic bread.

CheesybeanZ

Cheese/ general grater for ease of spreading or crushed with whatever is at hand .

kelvin

mezzaluna

I really should get rid of mine… probably not used it for 10 years. Or I should I use it this week… and perhaps rediscover what I’m missing out on?

BigJohn

Adding salt doesn’t just help with the abrasion/grip, it reacts with an enzyme and breaks it down. Makes it taste nice too.

benv
    Free Member

Trying to retain a little independence for her as is losing the use of her shoulder-joints and chopping is not often possible, but even then without pain/risk of worsening. Should’ve shared before asking but didn’t really want to go on about it. This became complicated very quickly! I could always chop some and seal in foil if I’m out for any length of time, but that sort of spoils the fun

In that case Oxo good grips stuff for all your kitchen tools – that’s kind of the thing they were designed to help with, and they are really well made.

Drac

Bash with palm of hand, peel, smash with knife then chop if required.

I never use our garlic crusher, the wife does it’s a pain to clean so looking at one of the rockers for her to use

Ooops missed the shoulder issues.

Garlic Press, Terra Tu Garlic Peeler 304 Food Grade Stainless Steel Garlic Press Crusher Squeezer Easy to Wash https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q571KBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4hb3DbA4ZRDEE

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Drac that press looks really good, and possibly easy to use. Don’t know if it would beat the leverage of a long-handled press though. Will ask the boss (although her knowledge of theoretical physics is more ‘challenged’ than it is rusty, like my emotional intelligence 😉)

Drac

They’re supposed to be ok but not tried one.

petec
    Free Member

something like this https://www.thelittlegarlicplate.co.uk/shop is very good. Produces a lovely paste, and is slightly nicer to look at

z1ppy

Petec, I was given one of those and have used it a couple of times, and am looking at this thread for ANYTHING better… fricken thing is not even dishwasher safe, and with lots of little barbs, a joy to wash.

PS: I do like the plastic sleeve, used to remove the skin.

petec
    Free Member

@z1ppy

oh!

I like it I have to say. I’ve put ours in the dishwasher loads, and just use the washing up brush on it if it’s being washed.

To be honest though, as I seem to be eating quite a lot of garlic now I buy https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-cooks’-ingredients-chopped-garlic/705411-100157-100158

it’s no more expensive than buying fresh bulbs, and dead easy to use. Possibly not fitting in with saving the Koalas ethos from the OP, but at this time of year Garlic won’t come from this country anyway (or if it does it won’t be fresh)

z1ppy

@Petec.. fricken hell since when can you page some-one?

Destruction’s say not diswasher safe but my main issues with it, is it’s just rubbish ;D
    TBF a garlic paste/pre-chopped garlic is probably better for the enviroment, as the cloves won’t sprouted while waiting to be used & get binned..

petec
    Free Member

@z1ppy

i think it was one of those technological advances done with the new and improved forum last year

don’t think it’s ever been advertised mind

CraigW
    Free Member

Why press garlic for making hummus? Just put the whole lot in a blender, including whole cloves.

footflaps

People still chop garlic?

Drac

i think it was one of those technological advances done with the new and improved forum last year

don’t think it’s ever been advertised mind

No it’s only a few months ago, there’s a thread on it.

People still chop garlic?

Yup fresh is far better than preserved expensive jars.

Cougar

No it’s only a few months ago, there’s a thread on it.

There’s been several.

If you don’t like it you can turn off the notifications in your account settings.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘‘GARLIC’ BREAD??!!’ is closed to new replies.