Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Gardenists of STW, fancy a free challenge, Himalayan Lily content.
  • scandywag
    Free Member

Good stuff, seeds have arrived, thanks very much!
    Wait until spring next year for a thread with random seedling photos…. 😀

aa
    Free Member

Mine arrived too, thanks.
    will split them between our master grower (father in law) and bungling students (the aa’s)

Bunnyhop

Looking forward to mine 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Thanks for the seeds Peter! Now in the fridge getting a good chilling.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks. Mine arrived today too.

csb

Recieved with thanks here, but what’s this about refrigerating them?

oldschool

Received with thanks. Cheers peter.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

but what’s this about refrigerating them?

It’s just a hunch. They’re from the Himalayas which I’d expect would be a lot colder than here. It may be that they need the cold to help trick them into thinking they are back home. I’ve heard a similar thing with Himalayan Poppies, Meconopsis, Try some in the fridge and the freezer for a couple of weeks, label which went where and see if it makes any difference.

Swelper
    Free Member

Found some growing tips whilst browsing, maybe this will help, yep the fridge is a good call

Himalayan Growing from seeds

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Swelper that’s a great find.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Got mine! many thanks McMoonter, most kind. They will be very happily received where they’re going.

Swelper
    Free Member

Mr Mcmoonter, Seeds received with thanks, already got them on the way (well hopefully, as have more than plenty) 🙂 🙂 🙂

roger_mellie

Seeds arrived today thanks. This will be a nice little project over Christmas to get them started. Although that will prob just entail watching the video posted earlier and popping half in the fridge/ freezer 😉
    Cheers again!

Anna-B
    Free Member

Folks delighted with seeds, and plans to distribute some amongst their friends. Thank you for your horticultural generosity 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You are welcome.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Don’t suppose you still have any spate seed left do you? I missed this thread first time around
    😥

mcmoonter
    Free Member

“Don’t suppose you still have any spate seed left do you? I missed this thread first time around”

Email me your address and I will pop some in the post.

MrGrim

Planted with what I had spare in the greenhouse. I’ll leave them there over the weekend then find a home for them in the garden next week.

Bunnyhop

Something is showing it’s little green head, one can only wait and see.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Something is showing it’s little green head, one can only wait and see.

Sounds promising.

Eyepic
    Free Member

“Don’t suppose you still have any spate seed left do you? I missed this thread first time around”

Email me your address and I will pop some in the post.

Sorry just seen this thread… Appreciate very late..Mrs Eyepic V enthusiastic any chance?

Eyepic
    Free Member

Bump

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Eyepic – send me your address and I will fire you some in the post.

Bunnyhop

I’ve had a closer look at the ‘green’ bits and I’m pretty certain they are weeds, going to let them grow a little longer just to be sure.

roger_mellie

Just an update: I have failed in my mission 🙁
    Refrigerated, potted out, but no shoots. Hope someone else has had better luck. Thanks for letting me try Mcm.

Bunnyhop

So, at last! Something is growing that isn’t weed like. Fingers are crossed and a daily inspection in on.

FFJA
    Free Member

An update if anyone’s interested… After a year in a mix of grit and wool bracken compost mine have just germinated on a heated potting bench. Fingers crossed!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Excellent news. It will be well worth your patience.

FFJA
    Free Member

It’s coming up like cress now!

Bunnyhop

Wow! The green bits that I planted look suspiciously like bamboo shoots. Only time will tell.

FFJA
    Free Member

If I get the going and potted up and anyone would like one feel free to pick one up if you’re passing Swaledale in the future!

Bunnyhop

FFJA – my friend lives in Gunnerside, if you’re near, I might send her round, thanks.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Bunnyhop, were your shoots anything like these?

These are ours. A quick google suggests that these are the real deal. The excitement at Moont Towers is off the scale.

Bunnyhop

No mcmoonter. They turned out to be bamboo. Where it’s come from I don’t know.

Really excited for you though. Keep up informed. can’t wait for photos.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Gardenists of STW, fancy a free challenge, Himalayan Lily content.’ is closed to new replies.