Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Gardening…
  • Solo
    Free Member

Noticed last night. A neighbour who’s drive is adjacent to the side of my house. Seems to have decided to remove plants and simply cut away anything they wanted to. On the metre between their boundary to my wall.
    😐

No discussion or agreement for this. Someone has just proceeded to do as they please.

Question is, have any ‘rules’, laws? Been transgressed?

nickjb
    Free Member

They can cut anything overhanging their property although I believe they are supposed to offer you the clippings. They can’t remove anything your side of the boundary and if they do then they are liable for the costs of replacement. That said neighbourly boundary disputes rarely end well.

Solo
    Free Member

Nickjb.

Thanks for the info. The boundaries are clear enough for there to be no “grey area”.

The neighbour in question is a young family, where father is shaven headed with tatts and mother is gobby. They’re the confrontational kind who feel they can do as they please and to hell with being a considerate neighbour. Clearly they thought my plants were an inconvenience for them when entering and exiting their car. Although they were mine and on my property.

Obviously they know I can’t prove it was them.

Wonder now what my next action should be.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Put up a fence – see how in convienanr that is for getting in and out the car

Murray

Solo, do nothing. Life’s too short (says the man who spent thousands pursuing his neighbours after they planted a false story in the local newspaper about my wife injuring their cat, only for my wife to back down).

Solo
    Free Member

Yeah. Fence has come to mind.

Just a pity if it comes to that. Initially, at least, fence will probably precipitate “hassle”.

My house is detached. I keep to myself although I’m always polite to any neighbours I do see.
    Just depresses me there’s always got to be folk who are up for hassle.
    I guess live n let live is just too boring for some.

loddrik
    Free Member

Solo
    Free Member

Murray.
    You have a point. Although my neighbour doesn’t know it. I did engage a solicitor earlier this year with a possibility of moving against them for breach of covenant. I didn’t proceed.

The neighbour had decided to park a mahoosive van on the other side of my house leaving me the absolute minimum width to access my drive.
    Their house isn’t even adjacent to mine, but it’s up the road and round the corner.

Solo
    Free Member

Lol @ Loddrik.

Yeah, if only that were permitted.

However, as you can probably guess. Their extended friends and family would come to “visit” me if I yielded to such a base form of communication/persuasion.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Trouble is if you don’t do or say anything then you have effectively given them carte blanche to treat you like sh1t from this point on!

Think of it as a tester….they see what your reaction is and if there isn’t one, they know they can get away with more.

Therefore, whilst its not something to look forward to, you need to knock on their door and politely point out the error of their ways. If they get aggressive…… fine, have your mob phone on record in your pocket and you’ll then have one over them.

They will then know you are not a pushover and look for someone else to bully.

timbur
    Free Member

Re-plant with pyracantha. Stake it in the ground so there’s no confusion.
    It hurts even to prune :O)

thepurist

Replant with holly, brambles, stinging nettles, pyracantha, berberis, roses or giant hogweed.

beefheart
    Free Member

If it’s on your land you have to say something.
    If you don’t, you have agreed to become their bitch.
    I suggest urinating on his drive, and then taking an angle grinder to his car, whilst winking suggestively through the window at his girlfriend- then, and only then will you have confirmed your status as alpha dog of the close.

T1000
    Free Member

its clearly a test….. doing nothing will affirm their view that its belongs to them and in the future they can do what ever they like….

howabout…saying something like …you’ve clearly made a mistake and chopped down my plants etc and see what happens…

then you’ll know if they are ok or its going to be like having Frank Gallagher living next door..

its easy to judge folks on their appearances …. best neighbours I have ever had were a bunch of Angels……. not the sort with wings..

cinnamon_girl

Have they bought the house or renting?

soobalias
    Free Member

for all you know they might have wrongly assumed their property was up to your wall.

soon find out eh?

Solo
    Free Member

Rockape63.
    Appreciate the advise and I agree. My analysis is they will take it all the way, regardless of what I do/whether I react or not. As I posted earlier, there was a car parking issue. PCSOs got involved and then things seemed to calm down. I guess they just got busy gardening instead,lol.

Ref re-planting nasties. That had crossed my mind, but they’ve two little’uns. Who aren’t yet old enough to bounce bricks off my cars. If nasty plants hurt them, I would not like that. Not their fault their parents are cocks.

T1000.
    I tried talking to them about the parking, earlier this year. I just received names in return. I’m not going on appearance alone, I have tried before.
    They appear to desire the confrontation.

CG.
    Hi 🙂 Pretty sure they own. In fact, the two houses opposite mine are let to students, with no bother.
    Who’d of thunk it.

Edit:
    Yeah, reckon Trail rat is onto something. Looks like it’ll have to be the fence option.

cinnamon_girl

Would a brick wall make more sense? Fence can get broken easily or have a football kicked at it. Or metal railing?

Don’t let it affect how you live your life, they’re not worthy of your time.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Gardening…’ is closed to new replies.