Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Gardeners: when to stop cutting grass?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Mine’s obviously slowed down a lot, but is still growing somewhat or at least has in the last couple of weeks. It’s a lot longer than I would normally have it, based on the theory that I should leave it longer for the winter.

Unsure if I should cut it one last time.

monksie
    Free Member

Really? What would be the harm in cutting it or not cutting it? Honest question. I don’t understand why anybody would even ask this.
    I’m confused.

PiknMix
    Free Member

If it’s dry cut it whilst you have the chance.

Murray

The posh gardeners keep cutting all year. I give up when it gets cold and wet and stops growing fast. I’m still waiting – the lawn’s had 3 last cuts this year.

monksie
    Free Member

Oh. it’s something that I should be considering as well? I had no idea. I just cut it when it gets long and leave it when autumn arrives as it has now.
    What would be the benefit of cutting it more now or leaving it until spring?

molgrips
    Free Member

Cutting it hurts the grass and it won’t recover from a cut as well. I don’t want it to be at a disadvantage in the winter. Otoh it’s long so will get flattened when walked on and if it snows. And if it get long and flattened, the underneath can rot away. Last time I left it too long over winter and it was a mess in the spring, possibly a contributory factor to me eventually relaying it.

duntstick
    Free Member

I keep skimming over now and again, just to keep things tidy, the mower vacs the leaves and pine needles up.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Cutting it hurts the grass and it won’t recover from a cut as well

Eh? How do you think football/cricket pitches, formal gardens, school playing fields, parks, (blah blah blah) get by then?
    if it’s dry enough and theres something to cut then cut it.

anagallis_arvensis

Grass is pretty well adapted to grazing so cutting it wont hurt it much. Most of its energy stores are below ground and its growth points are at the base… Cut it, it wont care.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I think that we last cut ours in August.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

I think grass stops growing completely when the diurnal temperature drops below 6 deg C.
    That may be a pub fact tho. I’m gonna try and cut mine one more time before winter

chvck
    Free Member

Once it’s dead so that you don’t have to keep bloody cutting it.

zippykona

I try and keep mine cut as when its long every animal in a 5 mile radius considers it a toilet.

molgrips
    Free Member

How do you think football/cricket pitches, formal gardens, school playing fields, parks, (blah blah blah) get by then?

Big difference between a playing field and a small lawn. I know it’ll survive, I want to do whatever simple things I can to give it the best chance of health.

Anyway, cut it long, it looks fine still except for a few thin patches in the shade. Fed it, will keep cutting it when it gets as long as it just did.

eskay

My brother runs a grounds maintenance company and they cut all year round.

benji
    Free Member

Only time I don’t cut is when it’s wet or when it’s frosty. Should have given it a good scarifying in the past few weeks to remove the thatch, and a bit of an aerate, a normal garden fork works well.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm yeah I hit it with the rake but I didn’t pull up much stuff. It’s not very dense under there.

bikebouy
    Free Member

On the coast I still cut mine until Dec (early) once every couple of weeks does it. In that Lonjon I have a very dodgy looking plant in a bucket on the balcony, that has no attention at all, whatever time of year 😆

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I usually finish the fortnightly rounds of grass cuts end Oct or start of Nov and do sporadic grass cut visits to Christmas on the smarter lawns. The mower is a big Hoover and sucks up all the debris too.

Growth from Nov-Feb really isn’t enough to warrant a cut most of the time, esp on commercial contracts, hence I question the statement above that a ground maintenance firm cuts year round. They will WORK all year doing other stuff, but grass cuts are not required on these sites in the deepest winter months.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I move the cutter up an inch or two this time of the year but I’ll keep cutting at least until all the leaves have fallen from the trees, it’s much easier to pick them up with the mower than rake them up.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Cutting grass stimulates growth. However, i usually try and do the last cut just before a frost so it kills the bastard stuff off a bit and it needs less cutting next time. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Our lawn is pretty small and shaded quite a bit, so it needs all the help it can get to survive the kids running up and down the slope.

Lester
    Free Member

Really? What would be the harm in cutting it or not cutting it? Honest question. I don’t understand why anybody would even ask this.
    I’m confused.

well for a start this is a biking site so you could be biking instead of mowing:-)

my garden takes 8 hours to cut properly, mainly because it isnt flat or square and there are lots of trees in the way, this time of year i have lots of fruit and apples to clear before i start mowing.
    i get 2 weekends off in 3, so any option to save one cut a year at least is well worth it for me

molgrips
    Free Member

Only takes 10 mins to cut mine plus another 15 or so to trim the edges.

MoreCashThanDash

Only takes 10 mins to cut mine plus another 15 or so to trim the edges.

Are we still talking about lawns or have we moved on to the leg shaving survey thread?

molgrips
    Free Member

Bloody roadies.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Gardeners: when to stop cutting grass?’ is closed to new replies.