Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gardeners: Some help please!
  • Albanach
    Free Member

Wife is very keen gardener and with her birthday coming up I want to get her some good garden snips (not secateurs) – the longer gardening type scissors that Monty Don wields very Friday night. Budget wise up to £50. Thanks.

stevied
    Free Member

Felco are the normal ‘go to’.

daddydave
    mariner
    Free Member

Have a look on the Niwaki website. They sell most of the stuff used by Monty.
    https://www.niwaki.com/
    I know you said not secateurs but the Okatsune secateurs are really really good.

Hohum
    Free Member

Another vote for Niwaki.

They have a great reputation.

crikey
    Free Member

That is the most STW site ever.

£159 for a pair of secateurs…

mrsheen
    Free Member

Buy Japanese.

frankconway

crikey – you missed the secateurs at £249; if they don’t float your boat, how about the £599 kitchen knife?

aide

+1 for Felco’s. Have had a set for over 20 years now (old boss bought them for me when i was a landscape gardener)

Houns

+1 for Felco. As much as I’d love something from Niwaki I’d be scared of losing them!

Murray

crikey – you missed the secateurs at £249; if they don’t float your boat, how about the £599 kitchen knife?

or £24 for garden snips
    and £39 for a kitchen knife

from the same site

frankconway

murray – yes, I saw…

or £24 for garden snips
    and £39 for a kitchen knife

My post was merely commenting that there were even more expensive items than the example quoted by crikey.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

My Tobishos are great. I got them from http://www.tetsufuku.com a few years back but the price has increased a bit .
    Felcos are excellent but I prefer Tobishos because there’s no annoying little thumb catch that I’ve accidentally knocked in the past which then locks the secateurs. The catch on the Tobishos is sprung loaded and located at the end of the secateurs so when I pull it out of the holster in one movement I can also unlock them by rubbing the catch against my hip, and likewise when dropping them back into the holster, grip the secateurs to close, knock the catch against hip which springs back and locks the secateurs and then pop back into the holster. This is good when switching between different tools whilst thinning out a shrub for example. I might be using a folding saw or short handled loppers and interchanging between the tools quickly keeps the job flowing along nicely.
    Definitely recommend getting a holster whichever secateurs you get as it keeps them to hand and reduces chances of losing them. I have a double holster containing secateurs and a folding saw.

dashed
    Free Member

A another vote for niwaki

jimmy

Pretty sure Felco are Monty’s recommendation. I got so e for my birthday with a sharpener.

Albanach
    Free Member
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Gardeners: Some help please!’ is closed to new replies.