Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Gardenerists – Shade resilient grass
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Our garden is predominantly north and slightly east facing, probably 20 feet wide and 80 ish feet long. There is a fence running down both sides but the one on the west is 6 feet high and belongs to the neighbour.

Our problem is moss and probably lack of garden care on my behalf. Pretty much the whole left side of the grass has been taken over by moss, presumably because it gets no sun during the winter and a limited amount in the summer. We are about to have a rear extension done which will presumably make a mess of the garden so i’m mulling re-laying the lawn with some new turf. According to google there are certain grasses that grow better in shady environments so looking at those. Will it be more resilient to being taken over by moss or will I need to keep on top of it through the winter and summer. I’m not a huge fan of gardening beyond mowing grass and cutting back bushes.

mtbfix

You can buy grass that grows well in shade but the moss issue us more likely to do with poorly draining soil. There us all sorts of advice online as to how to aerate a lawn. It’s one of my looming jobs for spring. We are cursed with clay soil.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ok, interesting. Our soil appears to be pretty good based on me digging some reasonable holes in the past and it being of top soil appearance rather than clay. Will have a look at aerating although I guess I will have to remove the moss first with a rake.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Gardenerists – Shade resilient grass’ is closed to new replies.