Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Garden Bird identification – Keen Ornothologists help
  • DenDennis
    Free Member

found this little critter hopping around the garden last night- can anyone help with identification?
    serious replies only please. 😉

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

baby thrush?

woody2000

Juvenile Thrush

Though it could [u]actually[/i][/u] be a Baby Robin 😀

Grizla
    Free Member

Erithacus rubecula (imm)

(are we allowed to say baby Robin on here?)

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

or possibly young Robin?

beaten to it…

verticalclimber
    Free Member

i’d say speckled thrush (baby)

Bruce

My vote is for Robin having had a good look at one that flew into a window and stunned it’s self

Bunnyhop

Baby robin (how very STW) 🙂

GrahamS

I’d say baby Thrush – based on one we rescued from a cat and nursed for a few days, around about this time two years ago:

Not Well:

Better Now:

CountZero

Could be a baby Robin, a bit difficult to tell;

Robin

Thrush

As an aside, I spotted an adult male blackbird sitting in the verge as I rode home from a a pub visit yesterday evening.
    It didn’t move when I went past, so I stopped and went back. It was breathing, but didn’t look happy, it’s feathers were roughed up, and there were other loose feathers lying around, so I assumed it had been clipped by a car. While I was wondering what to do about it, a girl walking her dog went past, looking across to see what I was looking at. I told her, so she offered to scoot home, get a box, and get her dad to phone the RSPCA. I waited until she came back, with the bird still sitting there, and tried to gently pick it up.
    It didn’t like that much, and fluttered away, so I tried again, and it fluttered away again, then on my third attempt, it obviously had had enough, and took off like a rocket, making the ‘pink, pink’ alarm call, circled around and disappeared into the trees behind where it had been hit.
    Made me jump, but damned glad it had been stunned, rather than injured. I couldn’t have just left it there, too many cars and cats around.
    🙂

Paulio
    Free Member

Must be the season for it – I had this little guy in the house yesterday

Fledgling Blue Tit. I put him back in the garden and he made his way to a tree right at the bottom (about 30m away) and spent the afternoon trying to climb up it to where I assume his nest is. He couldn’t make it and spent the evening and this morning in tree near the house being fed by the parents.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Paulio, that is one grumpy looking bird!!

Eyepic
    Free Member

Baby Robin

So good just to write it.

Drac

Baby Robin.

I was going to say that anyway but I genuinely think it is.

The beak shape and colouring is closer to a robin than a thrush.

boxelder

Short tail suggests robin – keep it clear of ocelots.
    Unless it’s a crown race??

DenDennis
    Free Member

yep- I think so. some adult birds popping around to offer food every now and then were…… ADULT ROBINS! 😛

tuffty
    Free Member

The original picture is definitely a robin, keep watching and a parent will be along to feed it.

GrahamS

some adult birds popping around to offer food every now and then were…… ADULT ROBINS!

Bah. Perhaps they were just kindly community-minded robins looking after the baby Thrush? 😉

Bunnyhop

Last week in the pouring rain and cold, I picked up a very tiny baby chaffinch, who was cheeping away for food. The rain was too heavy and noisy for the parent bird to hear.

I carefully warmed it up and popped it somewhere dry nearby. Sadly no photos.

Count zero – I think the trick to handling baby birds is to gently cover their eyes until they quieten down (I’m no expert, just my experience).

Remember folks, if you find a baby owl anywhere, just leave it.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Definately not a Golden Eagle 🙄 they have stripes instead of spots.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Remember folks, if you find a baby owl anywhere, just leave it.

Even when it’s as cute as this ?

CountZero

Count zero – I think the trick to handling baby birds is to gently cover their eyes until they quieten down (I’m no expert, just my experience).

Probably true with baby birds, this was a fully fledged adult male Blackbird, and, stunned though he was, he was having nothing to do with me picking him up, good intentions or not! 😀
    Ernie, I’m looking at that owl’s eyes, and what they’re saying is, “keep that up for one more minute, and I’m taking your throat out, just see if I don’t!”

Bunnyhop

ernie – that is so cute, guessing it’s a pygmy owl?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Close…..it’s a Little Owl.

And yes, seriously cute 🙂

ski
    Free Member

Loads about at the moment, we are leaving worm trails for them in the garden

Bunnyhop

Doh – should have guessed little owl.
    We have a pair close to us and I was so lucky to get a glimpse when out riding my mtb a few weeks a go.
    It was funny to see this little owl shaped creature sitting on one of the dry stone walls and then fly very low, trying to hide in a hole of a wall opposite.

Klunk
    Free Member

found a baby crow on the trail today, it couldn’t run very well every foot of so it would trip over it’s own legs and do a forward roll. Mum was very agitated and very vocal in the tree above. Had to get off and pick it up and put it behind us.

eruptron
    Free Member

mightymule
    Free Member

Scops owls are cuter 😀

CountZero

Not a great photo, but this female blackbird has sussed out that people drop lots of crumbs from their cream teas at this cafe in Lacock:

She’s not too fussed about the close proximity of humans… 😀

CountZero

The Little Owl isn’t a native species, apparently; I believe they were introduced by the Romans, along with rabbits.
    So, what else did the Romans do for us…? 😆

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Garden Bird identification – Keen Ornothologists help’ is closed to new replies.