Garbaruk Cassettes – Anyone tried them?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Garbaruk Cassettes – Anyone tried them?
  • Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

Has anyone bought one of the Garbaruk wide range cassettes for either Shimano or SRAM XD freehubs?

They look very trick on their website, all machined out like the SRAM Eagle ones, super light too.

I quite fancy switching from 2×11 to 1×11, but as I prefer to sit and spin on the climbs I want a wide range of gear ratios. I’ve been put off the Sunrace and Shimano big range cassettes as they are relatively heavy. It just seems like you’re moving the extra weight of the front mech, extra chainring and shifter from the sprung mass of the main triangle to the un-sprung mass of the back wheel. The Garbaruk cassette looks like the perfect solution for a shimano drivetrain, if a bit pricey.

Just looking for feedback on real world experience before I consider dropping £180 on a cassette!

zinaru

sorry, this was what I initially thought this thread was about in my dyslexic mind!

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>in my dyslexic mind</span>

Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

Nice try, but I was definitely think more like this…

Image result for garbaruk cassette

Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber
    Onzadog

No, not used that one, but for the reasons you list, I use the Hope 10-48.

I know it has more alu cogs but that section is readily available. Also, I found on my XX1 cassette, that I avoided the top alu cog because I was worried about wearing it out. On the Hope, I don’t because it’s easier the replace and once you’re two thirds of the way up the cassette, you’re in it anyway. Once there, you might as well use all four (if that makes sense).

chilled76

Can you use the hope 10-48 with an 11speed xtr mech?

Onzadog

Depends on the frame really and the exact location of the mech hanger.

On mine, I’ve added a Shark Cage to an XT mech.

The XT lists as having a greater capacity than the XTR. Also, if fitting the Shark Cage, the XTR becomes pointless as you remove the carbon plate.

Onzadog

Did you go for the Garbaruk cassette in the end?

Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

Nah, I bought a new bike with SRAM Eagle instead. Bargain!

Onzadog

That was my intention, but the thread about the fragility of eagle has got me a bit twitchy.

mrmo

Onzadog, which bit about the fragility? I am toying with the idea of an XTR rear mech and 12spd shifter and then looking at sunrise/sram etc for a cassette. If everything is compatible it isn’t actually that expensive.

Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

I’ve only had SRAM Eagle 3 months, but in that time it been pretty much flawless. 600km covered, including a week in the Alps riding rough terrain in Les Arc, La Thuile and Tignes, 2 full days at Bike Park Wales, trips to Tidworth, Windhill and multiple rides in Surrey Hills. I’ve had few offs with the bike coming down on the drive side, yet everything is still running smooth. The revised bottom jockey wheel design on the latest derailleurs seems to have resolved the issue of them eating themselves and rear wheels too. So if you’re 12 speed curious don’t let the nay-sayers put you off.

Onzadog

@mrmo, I’ve seen a thread on weightweenies which suggests that the spacing between shimano and sram is just the tiniest bit different, enough to stop it working – I had the same idea.

GX Eagle 12 speed – fit and forget or faff city?

That’s the thread where people talk about issues with eagle.

mrmo

Thanks, just found the thread on weightweenies, will have to wait to real world experience but not looking great.

Wonder what the spacing is on Sunrace 12? I assume SRAM but?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I got a 50T Gabaruk+mech extender for my fatty when I went 1×11 as I wanted the range to match the grip. I know weight watchign and fat bikes aren’t naturally placed toegther but the cassette is seriously light.

All been good to date no obvious wear after a few hundred miles – I’d buy another.

Onzadog

That’s great r know, thank you. I do wonder if Garbaruk might make an XD 12 speed cassette with shimano spacing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Garbaruk Cassettes – Anyone tried them?’ is closed to new replies.