Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Garage Transformations…..
  • generallevi
    Free Member

Hey guys,

Just moved into our new Gaff on Friday and I have been told that my job is to sort the garage as I’m banned from any house decisions (even though I can be trusted to go to Ikea etc as manpower) lol

Anyone got any ideas, pictures or ninja grotto layouts that you think I should run with??

We have two AM bikes, two XC bikes, 2 road bikes all our pedros tools and a stand.

If anyone doesn’t want to show there creations based on security issues then that’s fine but please don’t bust my balls for asking…. saw this in a thread about sheds a few months back 😉

Cheers in advance fellas,

All the best,
    Lee.

br
    Free Member

First thing paint the floor.

Decide how/where your bikes will go.

Build/install a bench.

oregon29
    Free Member

as B W said then add a radio, table tennis / Foosball and mini beer fridge!

yodagoat
    Free Member

Add some motorbikes.

qwerty
    Free Member

I thunk it was Stoner who posted a link to a portable wood burning stove that will fit into a man cave real nice, cheap too.

stevied
    Free Member

+1 to br.
    Get the floor painted 1st, will be a pain once everything is in…

simon_g

Seal/paint floor if it’s bare concrete (doing it before moving anything in will save a lot of hassle later). Doing the walls white will help a lot too.

Decide on layout – add any extra power sockets you might need and get those wired in. May well be worth adding extra lighting too, particularly over a workbench.

Get security sorted out too while you’re at it, the locking bolts that stop it being opened from the outside are ideal if you’re just using it as bike workshop/storage and have access from an internal door.

generallevi
    Free Member

Loving it so far!
    Not sure if the missus would love it when she goes to grab her bikes and she saw a mini Olympics set up!!

😀

boxfish
    Free Member

Ground anchor, big chain and padlock!

Then build yourself a nice workbench, fix a couple of boards to the wall to hang your tools off.

If you have power, buy a fridge and put beer in it.

Stoner
    Free Member

Take a cow shed, fit a new beam and block floor in, re-clad the gables and re-roof it, build a work bench from some old stone slab crates, add a sprinkling of electricity and light and dont forget the wood stove.

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lWBMrrQ90Dg/TgjoO2lAgPI/AAAAAAAAAB4/tUSKYTeCPRA/s640/p1000367.jpg[/img]
    [img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/–abw0zBr0mc/UGFlhSrUQiI/AAAAAAAADDM/Z5J_1D2kGYE/s640/P1010681.JPG[/img]
    [img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-582tuXfnfWs/UGLgwD2CzBI/AAAAAAAADF4/YX_ihVBWs8o/s400/P1010717.JPG[/img]

Alex

As you know Mark, I’m a man who is already quite well ‘shedded up’, but that’s giving me a dose of man-envy 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

I have yet to come and shed-off with you Al. We must remedy. Do you still “work from home” like wot I do?

generallevi
    Free Member

Stoner,
    That Cow Shed is mint!!!!!

Shows what can be done with a bit of imagination. Where did you get that Gucci stove from?

All the best,
    Lee.

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.campingsolutions.co.uk/stoves/frontier-stove/

has been a great friend this winter whilst tinkering. I have also draught-proofed the shed a bit now so it’s even cosier. The stove is portable (the flue packs into the firebox) so will come with me to the coppice for camping weekends this summer for cooking on, and maybe a bit of gratuitous wood burning of an evening.

Edit: actually from here, free P&P
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380540854254

Pieface

I hope to own a garage in a few months.

Its of a concrete panel construction and only has the main ‘up & over’ door. It has a single glazed window. I have had a couple of my own ideas but also some questions –

1) I want to increase security but as there is no separate side door how can I do this discreetly?
    2) I am going to put ground anchor in for bikes but there will be other stuff in there like white goods and camping gear.
    3) Will a ‘wireless’ burglar alarm set up in the house accomodate the garage too? I don’t mind getting a hardwired one done.
    4) I may put film on the window to obscure the view, or thick mesh / bars across the window.
    5) why paint the floor? Is this just to brighten the place up?
    6) Painting the walls, does it need to be masonry paint or will regular emulsion be ok? I’m going to be running a tumble dryer in there so don’t want all the paint flaking off in a year or so.
    7) any idea if its possible / economicla to retro-fit a door to a panel garage? I guess every build will have its own specific way of doing this and think that it will cost a lot to do.
    8) The garage is quite a way from the road and eats in to my garden space (although the garden is rather large).I may build a fence and gate across the driveway that leads up to the garage as there’s plenty of driveway and unlikely to ever park a car in the garage. The gate / fence will give me more ‘playroom’ in the back garden but also make the shed less obvious to prying eyes in the street. The fence can also be easily taken down compared to a wall.

Ta Muchly

br
    Free Member

why paint the floor? Is this just to brighten the place up?

Cuts down on dust.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Where are you moving to?

Pieface

Inner suburbia – Norton Lees.

Any thoughts on Newfield school? They seem to have a good strategy in for taking corrective action but will it pay off in 10 years time?

andybloomer
    Free Member

I’m quite happy with mine

oxym0r0n

4) I may put film on the window to obscure the view, or thick mesh / bars across the window.

I got some frosted, security film to go across the side window on my garage – easy to fit and does 2 jobs. I found it difficult to find simple bars to fit.

dantsw13

Storage
    Workbench
    Sofa
    Fridge
    Heater
    Music.

sc-xc

Nice andy – where’s the rest of your weights? 😉

andybloomer
    Free Member

They’re made from polystyrene 🙂

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’ve (almost) got a former blacksmiths forge in my back garden, it’s as big as the house. Is going to make a great retreat for me once I’ve got the house fixed up and can crack on with it.

Planning to run water and gas out there so I can heat the place and setup a compact wetroom. Idea is to be able to come in from a ride covered in mud, straight into the wetroom to shower mud off clothes, off me and off the bike. Also thinking about casting some concrete worktops and setting up a section of the ceiling that winches down to floor level with the bikes, so they’re all hidden out of the way. Obviously extending my network out there and putting a PC in etc.

Unfortunately, I have to leave at least one of the garage spaces for car storage, but there should be plenty of space to use it as a film room and as somewhere to sit on the rollers too as well as for practical man stuff.

Don’t tell the girlfriend, but I’m more excited about this than the rest of the house!

warton
    Free Member

I want to increase security but as there is no separate side door how can I do this discreetly?

i have heard two scaffold poles, one across the top of the door, one across the bottom (both on the inside!) work a treat.

just need to fabricate / buy some brackets for them to slip onto, and cut a couple of slots in each pole

mandog

Insulate; add radiator.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Nice Andy did you get a builder to do it any tips? Like the flooring I want mine to be insulated and heated. Gym kit to. Turbo in living room atm 🙂 Weights bike, rower and bike maint area

andybloomer
    Free Member

It was a simple double garage with a concrete floor. The laminate was left overs that my folks didn’t want. I could’ve painted the floor but it wasnt very smooth and the laminate is a bit more comfortable and homely. The only building work was to replace the delapitated rear door with a toughened safety glass window and put some blinds on it. Mates said the laminate would warp and get knackered in no time with any damp tha came under the tin up-and-over front door but it hasn’t happened yet and its been down for 3 years. I put pipe lagging along be front edge of the flooring for the door to but up against when it closes, makes it tidy and keeps the draught out.

Only problem I have is that it doesn’t stay tidy for long. 10 minutes of tinkering with associated tools and bits left on every surface seems to take weeks to clean up. Currently got brake fluid all over the place too.

Seriously considering one of those portable wood burners for it…chisel a hole out one of the walls for a chimney…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Laminate will be fine. Might delaminate in a few years.

Ive just thrown a bunch of laminate out thats been sat in the garden for 6 months during renovations. It was in the same condition i threw it nto the garden in , probably could have laid it again.

My oak floor in the living room on the other hand , the fires dried it out needs pulling back together.

“Only problem I have is that it doesn’t stay tidy for long. 10 minutes of tinkering with associated tools and bits left on every surface seems to take weeks to clean up. Currently got brake fluid all over the place too.”

I know that feeling . I have a double garage worths of workshop in a single ( moved from my parents double to my single. I have to move stuff to get at other tools and stuff …. One day ill get my extension built out knock down the xisting single and new garage to the full extent of planning – 1 3/4 width and 2 long and 4 ft taller to make the roof the same as my upstairs floor, if they let me with upstairs for a master bedroom and en suite off the gable end of the house.

woolymonster
    Free Member

All good advice on man-caves 😀 …Just make sure that if any scroat gets in there that they’ll need an angle grinder and a six man team to get out with any kit 🙂

Blackhound

Pieface – I have a wi-fi alarm set up in my garage which works fine.

My garage has water ingress from outside (was a thread a few months ago) and I am getting a mastic floor installed after a couple of other jobs are done. Some good tips on this thread. I might *need* a wood stove as well 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Garage Transformations…..’ is closed to new replies.