Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Garage storage – what's good?
  • jimmy

I’m shortly to have my very own lit and powered garage. I’m going to install some storage and looking for real world examples. Anyone want to parade their immaculately well shelved garage?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Jimmy, google ‘big dug’ – I hear lots of good things about them.

Greg.

sockpuppet

BigDug seconded. Do the job brilliantly, and by far the best value.

Especially if you live anywhere near Tewksbury since you can collect and avoid the delivery charge!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

I’m just about to order some BigDug shelving – and a workbench – after hearing good stuff on here about them.

cr500dom
    Free Member

Do not under any circumstances have a look on Garage Pr0n
    You will be planning an epic workshop before you know it

jimmy

It was bigdug i was looking at before posting but wasn’t sure so that’s that!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Depends what your storing.

Having explored and tried various options ive gone for 6 sheets of 18mm ply and about 60foot of cls framing timber. Next weeks project to get them on the wall at just above head height.

qwerty
    Free Member

No pics of mine to hand, but, used 2″ x 2″ timber batoned to wall with concrete screws and then used a horizontal support & 45′ support for the moisture resistant MDF shelf. Works a treat & has survived being relocated to a new garage.

EDIT – found pic-

Being the weekend i had my skirt on.

towzer

Based on Reading(*Berkshire) Costco I’d have a wander round my local Costco if I could – quite a few options, including my Xmas pressie from gf – of a heavy duty stacking rack

I find old kitchen/bookcases/furniture etc handy – but I got given these years and years ago when wood was wood

robdob
    Free Member

I would recommend if you go for the racking go as deep as you can fit – deeper shelves are so much more useful.
    BigDug have started an ebay shop and they were selling loads of galvanised (ideal for my cellar which can get very slightly damp) racking. 1.2m wide, 60cm deep, 1.8m tall. I got them for £40ish each delivered and they are great quality. As they are galvanised the edges are quite sharp compared to the painted ones (paint rounds off the edges) but they are great quality and certainly enough for any garage.
    Not as sturdy as Dexion racking which is what I was looking for 2nd hand but then I don’t need to put pallets on my shelves!

I’ll try and find a pic if I have one.

sc-xc

Where’s Wally is getting easier!

robdob
    Free Member

In the middle of constructing my racking……

My parts washer on the shelf:

Up and in middle of sorting out all the guff. Cellar is very low, beam is padded as it’s only 5’6″ off the floor!

cloudnine
    Free Member

50cm Deep Ivar shelving from Ikea
    Buy it in sections or complete kits

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S49898586/

Android
    Free Member

I used these from Wickes, £22.99 and easy to modify if you need to.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

50cm Deep Ivar shelving from Ikea
    Buy it in sections or complete kits

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S49898586/

Got IVAR here. Have to admit that I’m a little concerned by the weight limit – 45kg off the top of my head.

trail_rat
    Free Member

150 quid for ivar …. thats alot for what it is .

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Mine’s built from remnants from the last two(!) places we’ve lived in.

The system side of it is great (and IKEA boxes fit it), but it’s not the best for anything really heavy.

ransos
    Free Member

Got IVAR here. Have to admit that I’m a little concerned by the weight limit – 45kg off the top of my head.

I broke mine…

AlexSimon

I went with Ivar in the end. It doesn’t feel as strong as the 10 year old Ivar we have elsewhere and it’s pretty expensive but…
    a) I prefer the look of wood
    b) It was 500mm deep which I wanted
    c) the 500mm deep Machine Mart stuff was an awkward fit (only one really wide width).

Some of the shelves have warped though, so I’m keeping an eye on it.
    Filled it with 12 of these:
    http://direct.asda.com/Really-Useful-35L-Storage-Box—4-pack/BUNSTOR1911A11,default,pd.html

And 18 Ikea £2 boxes that all fit nicely.
    Happy so far.

dashed
    Free Member

Big dug – survived 2 house moves and re-assembly, still going strong. Doesn’t feel that strong when assembling but once it’s put together it’s solid, especially if you use the wall fixing brackets that come with it.

gazc
    Free Member

no pics but i picked up a load of steel racking from a shop closing down. worth checking gumtree/ebay for anything local. not particularly pretty but strong and does the job

andyl
    Free Member

For boxes Staples normally have the 64L Really Useful Boxes at 2 for £20 (or £17 each!). I use those and 35L ones (£7 from Costco) for all my work stuff as I need secure boxes for equipment (but can’t afford Pelicases).

For bike stuff I use the clear Ikea ones which are okay if the place you are storing them in is dry as they are not as well sealed as RUB.

Not compared them to Big Dug but if you can get to Costco then worth a look as they have some pretty damn solid black steel racking, large chrome wire (like you see on Masterchef etc) and also a smaller version. We have a couple of the smaller chrome wire set ups as they don’t take up much room. They might be a bit small for a garage though but they are about £20 a set.

oldboy
    Free Member

Big Dug was my starting point when I came to fit out the double integral garage in my new house (yes I know, but I took a while getting here!). However, in the end eBay threw up many cheaper alternatives. You need to consider the depth of the shelves, because many of the apparently cheaper ones are very narrow.

MikeG

Definitely recommend costco if you’ve got one near, I got some of their heavy duty black racking for the man cave – about £100 a unit, it’s almost identical to this from machine mart but with wire shelves. One bay is set up with hooks so the bikes can hang up out of the way and another one full of really useful boxes.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Garage storage – what's good?’ is closed to new replies.