• This topic has 13 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by diz.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Garage floor – interlocking floor tiles – experiences?
  • stevious

Our new house has carpet in the garage and I do not wich to even contemplate what a mixture of turbo training and bike maintenance will do to it.

In my last place I put down an epoxy floor, which was great but a bit of a faff so I’m thinking of getting those interlocking tiles. SOmething like this: https://garagefloorsdirect.co.uk/product/duraflex-tile-garage-floor-mat-black-60-pack/

How easy are they to install and once in what’s the durability like? Any other experiences of such flooring (or suggestions for alternatives)?

Thanks!

dovebiker

For cheap’n’cheerful, Halfords EVA tiles are OK, but are a soft foam so not suitable for high wear – I have them in my business workshop. Just built another shed as my bike workshop/ static bike trainer – have used the Big Dug garage floor tiles – made from recycled PVC are far more durable/hard wearing

olly2097
    Free Member

I’ve had them in the garage for years. They’ve been fine. Got them as insulation under the summerhouse floor as well.

TiRed

BigDug floor in mine. It’s fabulous and was worth every penny. Fitting with a rubber mallet was simple and fun. I have a black/grey check to break up the black, with a 2×4 patch in Wahoo Blue.

bigyan
    Free Member

The hard plastic ones I have (Plasfloor) have been good and hard wearing (as long as they are on a hard flat surface, eg smooth concrete) Easy to install, just a lot of joints to line up and click in.

The soft foam ones are good for yoga etc, but not a garage floor (for my use).

jimdubleyou

I’ve got duramat tiles – can’t fault it.

Actually got blue ones for the same price as black which looks pretty good.

richardkennerley

Bigdug in mine. Sweep floor, bang tiles down, job done in less than an hour 👌

stevious

Thanks all. Am definitely sold on the idea of using a rubber mallett to install. Awesome.

Superficial
    Free Member

BigDug floor in mine. It’s fabulous and was worth every penny. Fitting with a rubber mallet was simple and fun. I have a black/grey check to break up the black, with a 2×4 patch in Wahoo Blue.

I could have written almost exactly this. It makes the garage seem warmer and it’s nicer to kneel for maintenance jobs.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Used the Halfords ones (very cheap when on offer) bit soft but great to walk and work on…

theotherjonv

I’ve had the Halfords ones for years, can’t really fault them for what I paid and how long they’ve lasted, but here goes.

1/ over time they’ve expanded, IDK if that’s as a result of all the standing and walking on that’s been done, or whether the odd solvent spillage (white spirit, or Screwfix No-nonsense) has swelled them but means they now are not a perfect fit and pucker a bit. Which leads to

2/ although I shove them back down as best I can the interlocks are not tight and where it’s not a clean garage muck and dust gets in the gaps which is a pain to have to lift the edges to hoover out

Like I say, for the cost I should just bin them and get a new set and they’ll be grand for a couple of years at least but instead I bought an Amazon barrier mat which sits over the foam mats – not thick enough to be able to work out there barefoot so it’s over the foam mats but has no gaps, and can be easily lifted and taken out the front with a whacker every now and then to clean it off. And I’m more careful now with solvents too.

martinhutch

Another BigDug user – very, very easy to cut to fit, even around existing workbench legs etc. Feels warm underfoot. Not sure about durability yet, will probably get another cheap mat to protect ‘high drip’ areas.

fazzini

job done in less than an hour

If you have a perfectly square/rectangular garage with nothing permanently fitted like workbench etc. I dream of one day having such a set-up 🤣

diz

Hi has anyone any experience of parking a vehicle on the floor tiles? Bigdug or any other type?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.