Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Garage Electrics
  • oikeith

About to tackle replacing 2 old cracked sockets in my garage and adding in a third. I was going to use plastic sockets and boxes as I like the look of d trunking as opposed to metal conduit.

Looking at the boxes, they have knockouts on the sides and bases, is running out of the top of plastic box a no no? The existing sockets have bodged side entry.

nickjb
    Free Member

Firstly, you can use metal sockets with plastic conduit. The round stuff actually fits very neatly with proper screw on ends. Metal boxes have knock outs on all sides. Only reason to come from above would be moisture ingress, not really a big deal inside unless the garage is very leaky.

footflaps

Our workshop…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pZcnZN]Surface wiring in 20mm PVC pipe[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I have all of mine in plastic, I have fitted stuffing glands to all entry points to boxes.
    If you have outside lighting, ensure the cable has a droop on it before it enters the wall, on the outside.
    If you paint the walls white, use black conduit, its less likely to get hit as you will see it, I didn’t and have hit stuff a few times.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Trunking into metal boxes in my garage. Edit top wired

samperry25
    Free Member

Plastic trunking top entry into a plastic back box in my garage and the thing was built 2 years ago so must comply with regs. Can’t see why there would be no knockout on top, take a hole saw to it?

spooky_b329

Can’t the backboxes go either way up? i.e flip them over so the knockouts are at the top?!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Garage Electrics’ is closed to new replies.