• This topic has 26 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by xyeti.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Garage doors.
  • jim25

So I’ve just had an offer accepted on a house I’ve been after for a while now!!

First things first, I want to sort the garage out. It’s got some old knackered timber doors in there at the moment.
    Anyone have any recommendations for better more secure doors fitted around the Hertfordshire/north London area and any approx costs.

I’m thinking some form of electric roller shutter

richardthird

There’s a stw-er who does this as a trade, and recommends Rollerdor Norwich for the actual door. I bought one off of his recommendation and it’s great. £560 for electric, in black, delivered, from their ebay site.

If you can track him down he covers the London area for fitting.

Tracey

After having our electric roller door busted in the summer and 2 bikes taken in the space of 7 seconds whilst the alarm was going we were recommended one of these, the Excel version

http://www.sws.co.uk/products/seceuroglide/roller-garage-doors/product-ranges

the bikes are also ground anchored behind one of these

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alanf
    Free Member

Hormann sectional FTW

STATO
    Free Member

I also have a split opening set of wooden doors i’m looking to replace, but I want to keep the 2 door split opening style because it really restricts the view into the garage. Anyone got recommendations for that style?

As secure as roller doors are, having to have the whole door open means the entire contents of my garage can be seen from the street every time I open it.

angeldust
    Free Member

After having our electric roller door busted in the summer and 2 bikes taken in the space of 7 seconds

Which brand Tracy? Cheap or expensive?

Tracey

The one that was busted was expensive at the time. They watched us unload the camper after our Alps trip and came back two days later in the middle of the afternoon to get what they could. The house opposite had it all on cctv. Abigale was in the house and couldn’t get out in time to stop them. S Works Enduro and Stumpjumper.
    Before we agreed to the new door we tried to lift one and simulate what they had done but couldn’t budge it from the floor.

angeldust
    Free Member

Cheers. Interesting that the SWS seems to be much better, security wise. Some of the cheaper rollers seem very shonky, quality wise.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Tracey – Member 
    They watched us unload the camper after our Alps trip and came back two days later in the middle of the afternoon to get what they could.

That’s why I’m obsessed about getting bikes in and out with minimal observation. Likewise why I’ll never get a bike rack on the car.

Less you advertise the less of a target. That said garages are an opportunist target and with the right (and not that expensive) tools, easy and quick to get into even expensive doors.

p.s. if the garage has any kind of flat roof, part or whole, check the security of that too. It’s not unknown to just cut through the roof to get in.

House of course is far more secure and a greater risk to a thief. Carries higher penalties breaking into a residence, especially if someone is inside. Garages, sheds are considered just places for possessions of little priority to the police.

nedrapier

I also have a split opening set of wooden doors i’m looking to replace, but I want to keep the 2 door split opening style because it really restricts the view into the garage. Anyone got recommendations for that style?

Me too. Also because there’s not a lot of ceiling space for a roller. Insulated would be good too.

Cartek seem to be good. I’ve not bought one because it’s £2K.

https://arridgegaragedoors.co.uk/insulated-sidehinged-garage-doors

Dickyboy

Hormann sectional electric – about £2k fitted for a double garage

Tracey

Garage is an integral part of the house, no way to get in through the roof. All alarmed at the time. We wasn’t followed just spotted by someone walking a dog up our lane putting the last bike away. Wouldn’t have known it was the same person if it wasn’t for the cctv. Police response was very quick but they went to ground even quicker.

russ295
    Free Member

I’ve a horman sectional door lying in my passage. That’s my Saturday sorted!

RustyMac

For those of you with split wooden doors, could you not retain them and then install a roller door behind?

paulwf

I have a seceuroglide excel – recommended after several neighbours had cheaper doors opened (the garage access is via a rear service road). It is now ~7 years old and still works fine and has never been serviced.

z1ppy

Those looking to replace doors with the same.. I replaced my up & over door with a 3 metal section swing opening, with a choice of which panel you wanted as the door, but all the rest can be unlatched if needed.
    Obv brum based but you get the idea.. http://www.bgid.co.uk/index.php?id=15

singlespeedstu

z1ppy.
    Did you fit that yourself?

chainslapp
    Free Member

Before…..

[/url]Untitled by Chainslapp, on Flickr[/img]

After……

[/url]Mukluk 2 2014 by Chainslapp, on Flickr[/img]

allthepies
    Free Member

Hormann sectional +1, go for the thicker sections 🙂

z1ppy

SSTu, nah a local guy supplied & fitted it

singlespeedstu

Just mailed you z1ppy.

z1ppy

Too slow, had already dropped you the details 😉

jim25

Some good information here, thanks.
    Randomly I was already reading about the seceuroglide door. Have you got any approx costs Tracey and Paul?
    Where abouts are you based? any recommended fitters please?

My only potential problem being that eventually (in about 6 months time I want to knock down said garage on the side of the house and rebuild it much bigger in size, so would require the newly fitted door to be removed and refitted after the build, I wouldnt make it any wider obviously, but would want to add min 300mm to the opening height. Hopefully I can over order the size and it will still roll up in the space I’ve currently got.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Another vote here for the Securoglide Excel – great bit of kit.

The garage floor was a little uneven therefore I didn’t get a perfect seal to keep the cold out – easily rectified with a carefully positioned storm guard seal on the inside.

jim25

Cool, think I will give them a call in the next week then to discuss

Tracey

Got a big space above mine so over ordering on height wouldn’t have been a problem. Insurance company were great with bike replacements. Their preferred installer/supplier weren’t interested in supplying a more secure product so got the money from the insurance company and put that towards the new door, £1450 fitted by local company. The internal security shutter was a further £550 and we fitted that, paid a bit extra for a beefed up grill and lock. The ground anchors, chains and locks were about £150 and the CCTV was another £600.
    Not a cheap exercise but hopefully will deter any further attempts.
    Changed the colour of the door to let the scrotes know what we have done some changes.

xyeti
    Free Member

I had an electrically operated garage door fitted a few years ago, we always leave a car nudged up to the doors as well,

The thieving bar stards took the tiles off the roof and entered and exited that way.
    They had all the time in the world once inside to cut the cables and locks and they even left the light once they f00k3d off, a few days later I was sat in traffic behind a low loader and he had a great big tool chest on there with the up and over lid “For sale 250” so I bought that, welded 4 extra shackles to it and anchored it to the floor,

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Garage doors.’ is closed to new replies.