• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Garage Door Locks
  • highpeakrider
    Free Member

Just looking at beefing up security on the garage door.

What methods have people used to secure bikes , tools etc?
    My garage has only got a basic lock although protected by alarm and cctv which will be ignored.

Looked at these
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enfield-100-Genuine-Original-Garage-Door-Bolts-Lock-One-PAIR-MK5-NEW-2017-Model-/221174375033?hash=item337f052279

Or
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/squire-garage-defender/79478

Any views??

nwmlarge
    Free Member

It all depends on usability for me.

I have an electric closer on mine which locks the door in place.

I also have an alarm fitted.

To have 2-3 locks to undo every morning when it’s freezing would be a faff to me.

My most expensive bike is locked up, the rest are in the garage, all are insured to new value.

transition1
    Free Member

I have the screwfix squire one for my garage seems a good product had to buy a new drill as old one was struggling drilling into concrete being cordless & old.

13thfloormonk

I’ve just ordered some of the Enfield ones, been on back-order since early December (so I’d pretty much resigned myself to getting broken into before they get here! 🙄 ).

They address the most common weakness in up-and-ver garage doors I think although in truth I think it’s overkill for where I live, someone would need to try and silently peel open the door in full view of ten other friendly neighbours, but I figured they were cheap and easy enough to install, so why not.

Bikes live inside the house if we’re ever away for any length of time.

mark90
    Free Member

The defender does little to increase the security of up and over doors IMHO, and only attracts attention.

The bolt locks are a good addition though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pacri bolts.

The extra faff pails in insignificance to replacing bikes.

Wouldn’t have an electric opener either but that’s just me.

wwaswas

I’ve got the Enfield ones and they’ve lasted well as they’re protected from the elements.

Used them on our beach hut after years of failing to find padlocks that would survive the salt and weather. They were good there too.

Easy to fit on an up and over door.

If you’re worried about the top of the door being ‘peeled’ then fit four – two top, two bottom.

RustyMac

I have used the garage door bolts on my old door – they prevented an attempted brake in – the door ended up pretty bent out of shape but no one got in.
    the can be a bit more faff to get into the door as it is a further 2 additional locks to undo.

How much you use the up and over door will depend on how much this bothers you.

ashweee
    Free Member

I recently had an electric roller door fitted but before that I was using the Enfield door bolts and they seem really good. But they are now sitting unused on my work bench so if anyone wants them they’re welcome to them, collection preferred or you pay for the postage. If anyone’s interested let me know.

Cheers.
    Ash.

13thfloormonk

Can I just check, is the extra faff we’re referring to the faff of turning a key in an extra two locks spaced about 2 meters apart? Just checking… 8)

singletrackmind

and buying paired locks so its the same key…..?

Atomizer

Ashwee

I’ll take those Enfield locks – will PM you.

Cheers

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s exactly that Ian.

You can buy em on eBay or Amazon in matched packs of 2 or 4 using same key.

kevs
    Free Member

Ive got the enfield locks on my garage door, seem solid and work well. Easy enough to fit, but the key is a biy long on my keyring

franksinatra

I live in a low crime area and was not particularly concerned about garage security but I did regard the barrel lock on the up and over door as being particularly weak. I therefore just disable the lock meaning it can only be opened from inside the garage. Sure the door can still be peeled open but the lock cannot be forced and I do not have to worry about locking it every time it is closed.

wwaswas

I saw a video of someone opening an up and over door secured just using the ‘centre of the top’ latch with a pair of garden shears.

It was that that prompted the purchase of the enfield locks.

It was a variation on this – the shears are used to lever the door against the frame and then closed to ‘snick’ the catch open.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXG2_UF6_1Y[/video]

singletrackmind

Stainless eyed bolt

I fitted a pair of these , 2 x 90mm closed shackle disc padlocks and re-inforced the area around the eyed bolts with 10mm flat bar so with locks cannot simply be cut around with shears / disc cutter

pdV6
    Free Member

I had the Pacri bolts on an up & over door.
    Thieves just pulled hard enough to bend the door so that the bolts popped out of the holes.
    Still meant they couldn’t open the door fully but it was enough to get in and strip the components from my bike (as the frame was chained to a ground anchor).

Replaced with a new up & over door with integral 4-point locks.
    Again, thieves pulled hard enough to bend the door & pop the locks.

Replaced with a sectional roller door, 40mm thick with solid core + alarm system. Don’t know of any further attempts in that time (3 years & counting).

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Drive and garage is at rear of house here. Had an up and over door ‘done’ where I used to live. So have a steel security door in rear of garage for access
    The main door is just for show now runners chocked, bolted and screwed shut I can’t even open it!

ajaj
    Free Member

When we got burgled the insurance company fitted something similar to the defender to prevent the miscreants, who had stolen the garage keys, coming back to take more.

Whether that was actuarial confidence or just for show I don’t know.

timba
    Free Member

Using countersunk bolts, fix a padlock hasp(s) to the garage floor under the bottom edge of the door
    Bolt the staple(s) to the door
    The hasp hinges up the door (inside or outside) and is locked with keyed-alike padlock(s)
    When open the hasp lies flat on the ground to reduce the likelihood of tripping

ajantom

Enfield locks fitted here, and they’re pretty easy to fit and would give any thief a bit of a noisy job to get the door open.
    My close of all retired, neighbourhood watch-istas would be on the blower to the fuzz before you could say crusty jugglers.

I only really ever open the door from the inside, do the key lives in the house.

fossy

Enfield locks as well as a couple of others. As folk have said, you’d have to make a hell of a noise to break in.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Garage Door Locks’ is closed to new replies.