Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Garage Break in- Edinburgh Area-my bikes nicked :-(
  • hopefiendboy

Just to say my garage was broken into on the 2nd January and the following stolen (Balerno near Edinburgh):

Beta EVO trials bike
    Specialized Enduro Elite Carbon with upgraded rear ohlins shock (yellow coil different from picture) and upgraded DT350 wheels (black)
    Canyon Strike CF 9.0 Race Enduro bike
    Boardman MTH8.9 hardtail MTB(upgraded wheels and brakes)

Pics of the bikes 🙁

All bikes were heavily locked to the ground and door secure, but clearly not enough for these determined idiots.

Estimated time of occurrence between 8pm and 9.30pm, only garage hit among 10 therefore suspect they have been watching the house also for our movements.

Please keep your eyes peeled and share this. Thank you

jamj1974

That’s proper crap. Sorry to hear this.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that

singlespeedstu

What a pisser.
    I’ll keep an eye out at this end of the Tweed Valley.
    Is the Beta registered?

Tracey

That’s not good

Any local CCTV you can look at. When ours were taken a neighbours CCTV had it all recorded. Helped us recognise the scrotes but not good enough for police to use.

We were clocked unloading as the same guys were in both lots of footage

Are you insured

matt_outandabout

Bad news op.

poly
    Free Member

Helped us recognise the scrotes but not good enough for police to use.

? so you knew who it was but police weren’t willing to pay them a visit?

Tracey

We knew who they were as they kept walking back up and down our Lane on a regular basis for 3 months after the theft. Three of them but only managed to get two bikes so were after a third.
    We didn’t know where they lived and neither did the police.
    Eventually they were stopped and questioned and it transpired they were visiting some one local to us who had just moved into the area prior to the theft, that person had full view of the front of our house and garage from their bay window which is why they knew when to pay us a visit.
    They weren’t local to us but never came back once they had been challenged.
    The bikes were never recovered. They were more than likely stored in the local house until moved on

Northwind

Edinburgh police (I was in Currie) were good for our break-ins, I got stuff recovered both times and one of the guys got caught. Good luck!

Do you know how they broke the locks? You can get pretty serious chains, nothing’s immune to a grinder or plasma cutter, or hydraulic jaws, but you can beat most things.

I always end up recommending these cheap-ass alarms:

Not as good as a real alarm, but, they cost nowt and they take 2 minutes to install, there’s no cheaper peace of mind. And since the sender goes in teh garage but the alarm unit in the house, it’s actually useful- not like a cheap shed alarm in the garage where they’ll just smash it in a second. You can slave 2 sets together for better cover too.

Tracey

Our garage was alarmed up but didn’t stop them, it alerted Abigale who was in the house and neighbours that gave chase.
    Police response was very quick with cars and the helicopter that was in the area. They legged it into open fields but went to ground very fast. We now have a good idea as to where to.
    You can only do so much to try and stop them.
    Insurance were first class as were the Police

stanfree
    Free Member

I saw this on the Edinburgh Bikers FB group , what a bummer . I hope you get them back . A mate of mine recently got done in East lothian . 3 high end bikes including Danny Harts old trail bike , cut a long story short the thieves took 2 and cycled back towards dalkeith / Whitecraig area. Then the following day my son spotted the wee pricks on a moped complete with balaclave hanging onto his sons airdrop. The local police unfortunately were worse than useless. He found the trail bike on ebay and when he contacted the police the guy said he would deal with it when he came back from his hols. This being no use he contacted merseyside police who posed as a buyer and took the bike of the dealer which he got back .
    There has also been a spate of balaclava wearing hoods chasing the local guys on surrons threatening them to get there bikes. Local pump tracks are rife for this time of thing.
    Good luck and keep yer eye on the bay gumtree etc.

hardtailonly

@northwind … interested in that alarm set up, how do you deactivate it when entering the garage?

kayla1
    Free Member

Ah man, sorry to hear this. I hope you get them back.

sillyoldman

Looks like the same product northwind highlighted, but not from Amazon, and cheaper than Amazon. Double win?

sillyoldman

The link would have been useful though eh?

Wireless Driveway Alarm

Look like a great solution – cheers @northwind

Northwind

Yup, that looks like the same.

hardtailonly

@northwind
    … interested in that alarm set up, how do you deactivate it when entering the garage?

The switch is on the receiver end so you turn it off there, can’t do it at the garage end. I do get an occasional false alarm- I think it’s temperature changes with sunlight or something- so it has made me shit my pants a couple of times.

The part I like is that the alarm sender is silent, so it’s totally possible you’ll hear it but the thief won’t, with all the advantages that brings.

remedyflyer
    Free Member

Do not know about this one but a lot of trials bikes are not register.Bloody nightmare these people.

hopefiendboy

Hi all thanks for the replies and the link to the remote alarm…I’ll get.one of these and hopefully it has enough range to work.

The trials bike was not road registered but we have the frame number etc.

Moving forward I will no longer be keeping my good bike in the garage but in the house and cut down the fleet to.suit.

One other point, with the recent rises in replacement cost for bikes make sure that the maximum claim value for each of your bikes reflect the as new replacement cost of the bike and not what you have paid for them as you will not get new for old and will be significantly out of pocket as it looks like I will…

munrobiker
    Free Member

Are you insured with Pedalcover? I stopped using them because they stopped covering for the cost to replace and just the cost you paid, so if you bought a second hand bike you couldn’t replace it like for like.

tomparkin

Sorry to read about this OP. I had a bike nicked last year and it’s a crap feeling ☹️

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Garage Break in- Edinburgh Area-my bikes nicked :-(’ is closed to new replies.