Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Garage Bike Storage Solutions
  • Premier Icon DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hi all. Building/planning my new workshop and now I know where the bikes are going to go, I need to do something about the big pile they’re currently thrown in. There’ll be 5 bikes with the back wheels up against a solid wall. I was thinking I might wall mount the two lighter ones (have some of these already) and kind of slot those between the three others which will be on the floor hoping this will save a little space.

But I’m stuck as to how to stop the bikes on the floor from falling over?

I love the minimalist look of these Clug holders but are they any good?

Or would something freestanding like this be better?

I could easily knock together something from wood to slot the back wheels into but reckon it’ll look a bit crap vs a proper bracket…

What are others using?

Premier Icon akira

I’ve been considering some of the feedback sport velo hinge hangers, although need to find a house and move so I know what space I have first.

Premier Icon Tracey

We have the majority hung on the back wall with the rear wheels on the ground. The hangers are angled so the front wheels go in at 45 degrees so as to save on space.
    The ones stood on the ground have the rear wheels going in-between the rear wheels of the vertical ones and rest on the side of the seats so nothing rubs.
    That way we can also make them more secure with security going through frames and wheels.

Premier Icon jkomo

I have mtb with back wheel on the floor, road bikes in between higher up suspended.
    PX non hinge jobbie £1 each.
    Hinged would be better, but wasn’t prepared to shell out £1.99 each, as I am not made of money.

Premier Icon commencaltr29rider

We had those clug holders in our spare bedroom holding up 5 bikes in a line.

Worked alright until we were woken up in the middle of the night by an almighty crash.

My time trial bike had a latex tube that had gone soft in the front tyre, it came out of the holder and took the other 4 bikes with it, made a right mess. Had another fall out a few weeks later and we got rid of them.

Premier Icon doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve got a mix of those steady racks and floor stands. I’ve got the Willworx super stand which are really solid as long as you put the back wheel in and not the front.

The steadyrack wall mounts are great for multiple bikes, I’ve got 8, because you can move them and go through them like those poster sales things you used to get in bookshops. You sort of leaf through the bikes and find the one you want to take down. Also it’s great for a quick check of everything while the bike is still hanging. Not cheap but worth it. I’ve got lots of different types of bikes there and it’s good but I don’t risk the ebikes.

The floor mounts are great. I’m going to bite the bullet and screw some down to the floor as it’s a PITA that they move when you’re trying to wheel the bike in. I’ll keep a couple not bolted down and the rest screwed. I use the floor mounts for the ebikes and things like my daughters tow along and her bike.

I can send you a pic if it helps. I never did work out how to post photos on here.

Premier Icon steel4real
    Free Member

Floor stands here in our shed (nothing so glamorous as a workshop!).

The free standing ones like this Oxford bike stand we have 27.5 & 29 MTB’s in them and even a road bike!

Often the other types of floor stand like the one the OP linked to can’t take normal MTB tyres. The ones I’ve linked to (and obviously available elsewhere) take up to a 2.5 tyre but for bigger tyres you’ll need something else.

Premier Icon DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The Oxford and Willworx floor stands sound/look good but like you mention Doug, I don’t really want them moving around as I’m trying to yank bikes in/out from inbetwen other bikes which is why I was erring towards something that held the back wheel but was actually attached to the wall (like a bike rack you might find outside shop or something).

Sounds like the Clug things are out. I’m all for something that looks great but not at the cost of potentially just being rubbish.

Premier Icon nwmlarge

I have setup 3 of my bikes in the rough footprint of one.

One mounted vertical, the MTB as it has the widest bars

One mounted horizontally on the wall using a pedal bracket, the wife’s hybrid so light enough to put up and down.

One, gravel bike, leaning on the wall under the horizontal one and tucked down the inside of the vertical MTB.

if you then add another vertical and one more freestanding, possibly with a metal tyre grabber bracket on the wall that will be your smallest foot print and still remain useable.

Roughly a bike and a half wide from the wall.

Premier Icon wobbliscott

Firstly if you are hanging up by your wheel then its bonkers to spend £9.99 for a ‘specific’ hook. Complete and utter waste of money. A simple screw in hook from B&Q costing £1 will do the job just as well. It’s how I used to hang all our bikes up in our garage. Held the bikes fine…plenty strong enough for the job for even the burliest mountain bike.

However the problem with hanging bikes up like that is that they take up alot of floor space as they stick out alot into the garage and if you’ve a small single garage like me, that was a PITA. I recently got some of those pedal hangars that hang the bikes out from the wall by the pedal and at a slight angle allowing you to overlap bikes. They stick out alot less than hanging from the wheel and enabling you to overlap bikes means you can stack bikes vertically 2 or even 3 tall. So good I could get my car in the garage with all 5 bikes if I wanted to.

Premier Icon andybrad

to be honest if your hanging them up and use them then i would gram these.

ive got one for the mtb and the rest are on hooks. This is so much better when you want to use it. no faffing just push the bike into it and your away. much easier.

Premier Icon Blackflag

Big red hooks from B&Q. About a £1 each. Have had 5 bikes up on these for about 10 years no issues. They are screwed into the garage rafters so off the floor allowing me to store stuff under them.

Premier Icon keppoch

@andybrad – I think that picture is meant to work as a link but it doesn’t work for me. Any chance you could post the product name/seller? It looks good as I think unlike a hook I think you could angle the wheel and in doing so limit wide handlebar clash.

Kind of like these but without the extreme cost: https://www.velocirax.com/gallery

Premier Icon andybrad

<h1 id=”title” class=”a-size-large a-spacing-none”><span id=”productTitle” class=”a-size-large product-title-word-break”>Bison Products The Wall Bike Dock Standard/Cycle Rack/Storage Rack/Bike Rack</span></h1>

you cant angle the wheel.

Premier Icon Tracey

All our hooks are angled so the handle bar clash is eliminated. We use the Decathlon ones as they will take a big tyre and a deep rim.

Premier Icon wzzzz
    Free Member

I made a pulley system out of sailing dinghy pulleys, cleats and rope.

Just winch them up into the rafters, one bike in each bay

Saves loads of space.

Occasionally I will hit my head on a 29er tyre walking through, so that bike goes nearest the wall

Premier Icon keppoch

Thanks andybrad, I will have to work out why they could not be angled but then I will also have to work out why Tracey’s wheels are holding in that position rather than gravity and bike weight pulling them round to vertical 🙂

I can see how hooks with side restraints like these would hold wheels at an angle though: https://www.planetx.co.uk/imgs/products/px/950x600_constWH/TOJOSWMBH_P2.jpg?v=rf

Premier Icon mildred
    Free Member

As above – big red hooks into rafter. I fully hang mine upside down from these along length of garage, & use wall/floor anchors to secure them. This gives me space underneath for workbench etc.

Premier Icon Tracey

Its the height of the hooks and the fact that the back wheel is on the floor and up against the wall. We have had to lift a couple of hooks this year to accommodate the new Enduro’s extra length.

Premier Icon footflaps

Ours live in a box. That way we get the space back above them for storing other stuff…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ecY2Tk]Finished doors[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.