Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Garage bench ideas
  • Brycey
    Free Member

G’day all

Let’s see your home made garage work bench/surfaces, or better still plans or ideas you’ve followed.

Keep your hand-whittled, dovetailed, mitre-jointed oak masterpiece to yourself; I’m no carpenter! 😀

project
    Free Member

old fire door from a reclaim yard, coverwith a piece of hardboard, to keep the top nice and clean, and also when it becomes covered in oil just take off and replace, 6 inch by 4 inch legs, and 3 inch by 2 inch battons to hold it all together, preferably bolted so easy to take a part.

Then some old kitchen base units underneath.

br
    Free Member

Old garage:

trail_rat
    Free Member

Thats mines as it stands tonight , just spent today having a reshuffle as my boiler used to be in the corner where the shelves are now so excuse the mess.

Mines made of 2 x 4 with an old reclaimed drawer built into the middle and some lamnate kitchen work top on top.

Will be reworked once i take the kitchen or bathroom out and have spare units.

righog
    Free Member

Made this out of an old Ikea shelf unit, some floorboards and some “Art” Work I had lying around.

albino
    Free Member

New Fire door on sale in Wickes bit of timber and a few bolts. Has taken the weight of 3 big blokes in a make-or-break tolerance exercise!

Old pic so before anyone says it; all thief friendly tools have been removed and temporary bendy shelf now sorted 😀

Brycey
    Free Member

Thanks all. A fire door’s a good shout, I’d been thinking kitchen work top.

project
    Free Member

fire door 20 quid plus, worktop 60 quid plus.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Reclaimations even cheaper 🙂

matthewjb
    Free Member

I built this:

Bench0001 by Matthewjb, on Flickr

Workbench by Matthewjb, on Flickr

All wood cut to size by DIY store. Just bolt together.

Vice optional

Northwind

Bench envy 🙁 Mine was rubbish even before it collapsed, now everything gets done on a windowledge

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Basic wooden frame and an old desktop screwed to it. Then some thin ply up the back for a tool board.

Currently using doors as office desk and that is a good cheap idea. You can always put some 4mm ply on top for hard wearing if needed. Just make sure you can wind the vice in and out fully and is stable enough to hit things on – again consider a covering for main hitting area.

CountZero

There are two work tables at work, that I could almost kill for, had I somewhere that could take them. They’re typesetting ‘stones’, that hot metal type was set into forms on. The legs and frame timbers are all around three inches square, with a top made from cast iron with a machined flat top. Can only be moved with a pallet truck, I reckon each one must weigh around a quarter of a ton. Fantastic things to work on, but they go rusty if you sit on them, or splash your tea, in about five minutes!

seadog101

Sorry, no photo.

Friend was replacing their kitchen. Helped them out by taking all their old cabinets and a bit of work surface. Wasn’t a perfect solution, but helped with garage storage no end.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Love the fire door idea. Bodge-tastic (meant in the most complimentary sense of course) 🙂

beaker

I acquired my workbench through work. It was an MOD wood working bench and I swapped for two bacon rolls and a box of cakes. It is really really heavy though. I need to sort the tool board next. More pictures please.

TooTall
    Free Member

Two of these:

Trestles

One of these (or cheaper if you can find it):

Worktop

Screw a couple of lengths of timber to the underside of the worktop and there you have it – a very robust workbench, at whatever height you want, that you can move anywhere and cut to any size.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Made mine out of 2″ box, welded up into three frames. It’s got to fit into a very tight U-shape position, so the two side went in first, then the centre section slide in. Top and shelves from (IIRC) 3/4″ marine ply cut to shape and rests on top (can’t move in any direction because of the walls. When the top looks tired/is covered in paint, oil etc just take it off and buy a new sheet 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

I made a bench, it works fine it fits nicely, but I have tidy bench envy still.

SiB
    Free Member

Just this weekend finished using kitchen worktops as shed work surfaces, very solid when used in conjunction with 4 x 4 legs. Just ask a kitchen fitter to keep an eye out for some for you.

coynie09
    Free Member

This is mine built out of 4×2 frame then 1.1/2×6 planks then 15mm plywood on top
    [IMG]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/coynie09/Bike/08042008041.jpg[/IMG]

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Garage bench ideas’ is closed to new replies.