Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garage alarms with passive (RFID?) keyfob / tag / key
  • mudfish

I bet there are some folk here who’ve gone into this thoroughly. Hope so anyway.

Yeah my bike is locked to a ground anchor with a big chain. But still, there’s a lot of tempting stuff in there with it.
    My house does have an overall alarm which includes a door sensor on the (semi detatched brick) garage.
    BUT, when we are home its not activated – other than at bedtime. So, I thought maybe I’d add a (passive) contact fob activated simple (PIR?) alarm just inside the garage door – good idea??
    As an aside, I have read that PIRs and garages may not be comfortable bedfellows – due to draughts spiders etc.
    My garage has 2 doors – a “roller door and a “person” door at the opposite end.

So – getting to the point – looking online I am seeing a lot of choice but all seem to have a bulky fragile looking “remote” fob with batteries. e.g.

Yale fob
    Not my first choice to take along on a ride.

I’m also seeing that the alarms themselves look pretty flimsy for the most part, generally a self contained box that would likely respond well [and stop squawking] – when introduced to to one of the many heavy tools at hand.

Any thoughts please?
    Thanks everyone for help with past issues/questions.

fossy

The remotes are fragile – had a ‘IR shed alarm’ in mine, and whilst the ‘alarm’ box was fine, the remote fell to bits after 18 months, and that’s with the remote kept in the house, and not in a pocket.

drnosh
    Free Member

The alarm set up that I made is key operated for on/off, has a 12v battery on float charge so will still operate even if the scroates turn off the mains, is mounted up in the loft out of reach even to heavy objects, has 2 x 110db sounders so its REALLY deafening inside, and has a motorcycle horn outside.

eskay

The Yale alarm can be set via your phone as well.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

http://personalalarms.com/acatalog/Multi_Buy_MA30_Mini_PIR_Alarm_and_External_Siren.html

I’ve had this setup for a few years and has actually stopped bikes going. I believe others have bought it too, and it’s saved their bikes

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Scan.co.uk have a home wireless kit for sale on their today only page.
    Includes camera, siren, pir sensor, remote fob.

I’ve just tried to link it but failed miserably.

Hope it helps someone.

nickdavies

Could you not add a dualtech pir to your existing alarm, and have the garage on its own zone set seperately? Have a word with your alarm co, as long as its not a bottom end home system that should be quite feasible.

Otherwise ive been looking at some of the ERA smart systems for this, wireless siren mounted high up out of the way and run from a hub controlled by your phone app, or alexa/keyfob as required in the house. You get a notification of an activation to your phone if youre out and if you have a camera connected you can view also.

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Can you not program your house alarm to part set or primeter set so only certain zones are set?

mudfish

Thanks for the help everyone, some good tips there.

cookeaa

Our garage has a motion sensor up in one corner wired into the main house alarm, like yours we’ve got roller-shutter doors, but because of the sensors position, you can open the door fully and not set it off its only going to go off once you step in, which means it’s going to be easy to grab an item and make off…

I think it needs both door and motion sensors to be effective really…

mudfish

Hi, yeah, agree. A door sensor is likly bet

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garage alarms with passive (RFID?) keyfob / tag / key’ is closed to new replies.