• This topic has 45 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by daveh.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Gap Jump mentality
  • wwaswas

Not read the whole thread but;

I broke my hip ‘learning to jump’ on my own.

Luckily I didn’t have to wait too long for a random bod to wander past and get help but it’s a lesson that’s stayed with me – if you’re on your own don’t try stuff you think is even 70:30 for success.

Steve77
    Free Member

You hit it 6 times even though you were a ‘bag of nerves’. Just hit it another 20 until you’re so bored of it you can’t feel nervous.

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

Get booked on a skills course if you want to learn properly. Best money you can spend if you are serious about riding well.

I did Neil D’s jumps and drops this summer and whilst I wouldn’t say I am going to be entering Red Bull Rampage anytime soon, I now have the confidence and (admittedly not perfect) technique to hit jumps and drops that only a few months ago I wouldn’t have done.

If you don’t have the cash or desire to go on a course, take it back to basics… Learn to manual – properly.
    Then practice off kerbs/lips/drops.
    Then learn to pump – properly.
    Then practice pumping your way round a pump track, twice, thrice, without pedaling.
    Then learn to bunny hop using these skills.
    Then – and only then – practice, and practice, using your pump/bunny hop to get over a tabletop or small jump. You shouldn’t need hardly any speed to clear one. Pump the transition (upslope) and bunny hop over the tabletop.

Once you’ve practiced and practiced this, go bigger, go higher and go gappier. The only variable should be your speed depending on how big the object is you want to clear – your technique will remain the same.

As I say though, get booked on a course – it’s not the only way, but it’s the best way.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jedi

you dont need to manual or bunny hop to jump

benjii19
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/pxMwKxzE13E[/video]

And we’ve all got over the fear of our first gap. Built it back up to a table and then removed dirt from the middle as we got more confident. Been able to do it three days running now!

daveh
    Free Member

Definite improvement there. More pump, rotate and throw a bit of shape and you’re done. Good going.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Gap Jump mentality’ is closed to new replies.