Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Gammon
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

it’s about the spluttering and pointing and rage

😉

zippykona

If I were to watch QT I would be as angry as those people above but I’d be shouting abuse at those **** racist ignorant ****.

Does that make me a (potential) gammon?

There again I ‘m sensible enough not to watch QT.

CountZero

Gammon feel the noize…

wilburt
    Free Member

At best its childish bullying at worst its racism. No different from chocolate drops, golly wogs, tiddly winks etc

Just because its funny and helps you score points in an argument doesn’t make it ok.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Your opinion is invalid because you have X physical characteristic.

Ha Ha.

I genuinely found it funny when I came across it and I can can see it the irony of using it against people who are spouting discrimination against other groups (“wimmin”, “foriners” etc. etc.).

But the more it develops, its less about irony and more about just bundling people together in a group and treating them all the same.

The beauty is, you don’t need to try to reason with them anymore (which is an impossible task anyway) just constantly talk over them saying “Gammon!” loudly

Shouting people down is easier, not better.

maccruiskeen

I’ve read all thirty posts in this thread, and I have no idea what it is about.

that makes you one off them

kimbers

In not sure corbyn would be gammon his diet rich in pulses & free of red meat probably results in low blood pressure.

I’d agree it could be bullying, racist ? I suppose the whole frothing angry red face shows up most on us white folk, am I gammon too*?

I see it more as picking on people for being old & unhealthy, possibly working class, rather than racism

*especially when Farage is on QT & my bp is up!

Just another divisive gift to the already divided nation, borne of brexit

zilog6128

Shouting people down is easier, not better

exactly

I think the people relating this term solely to physical characteristics have totally missed the point.

oldnpastit

At best its childish bullying at worst its racism. No different from chocolate drops, golly wogs, tiddly winks etc

It’s not racism. If you’ve got a red face from eating too much, drinking too much, smoking, not taking any exercise, and getting angry after reading the Daily Mail, then this is the result of your lifestyle choices. And it’s completely valid to point out the effects of your lifestyle choices on your appearance, and to infer possibly deeper cognitive issues that may result from those choices.

perchypanther
    Free Member

And it’s completely valid to point out the effects of your lifestyle choices on your appearance, and to infer possibly deeper cognitive issues that may result from those choices.

Is it, fatty?

verses

An eye for an eye gammon for a snowflake turns the whole world blind.

While it’s quite amusing to have a word to use in retaliation to snowflake, I agree that it’s ultimately just name-calling and not very helpful.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Wots da female equiv? Spamom??

dissonance

I agree that it’s ultimately just name-calling and not very helpful.

It is a tad childish although I can sort of see the point. Its not like there would be a rational discussion with the people falling into this category anyway.

Plus, on the up side, since these people are millenial snowflakes who cant handle an insult it will be water off their back and so no harm done.

kimbers

What the Dickens!!

apparently old Charlie used it to describe a large self-satisfied overtly patriotic gentleman in Nicholas Nickleby

https://twitter.com/TheFabledAesop/status/996041319641436160

footflaps

What the Dickens!!

And apparently no one reads threads before posting anymore…..

footflaps

At best its childish bullying at worst its racism.

You really need to look up racism in a dictionary.

sbob
    Free Member

I agree that it’s ultimately just name-calling and not very helpful.

It’s also not witty. 💡

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

I don’t think it is racist in the way that most people are using it.

But against that we have the definition given on page 1 of this very thread by tomhoward:

White, middle aged men being marginalised.

I think that the inclusion off the “White” here means that some people think that the definition is race based, but don’t seem to care.

If thats the sense you are using it in then you should have a word with yourself.

kimbers

should the UN have added Gammon to the racism brexit has stoked?

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-austerity-and-immigration-policies-have-made-uk-more-racist-11368184

If after reading the Telegraph/Sun/Mail youre getting soooo angry over foreigners, immigrants, Junker, eurocrats etc because you think it explains the effects of austerity

that your face turns red, you deserve to be mocked

Cougar

I think that the inclusion off the “White” here means that some people think that the definition is race based, but don’t seem to care.

If thats the sense you are using it in then you should have a word with yourself.

It’s a stereotype describing people who, by and large, are white as they generally dislike brown people (and are very angry about it and thus red-faced).

If “gammon” is racist, so is “Islamophobe.”  You don’t get many non-caucasian Islamophobes so it must be racist, right?

The crux isn’t that they’re white, but rather that they’re apoplectic with rage.

footflaps

In the same way that most racist people start off with “I’m not racist, but….” they also seem to think that anyone calling them out for any criticism is racist. Ironing at it’s best….

fifo
    Free Member

I just find it amusing that those getting upset by what is a fairly harmless term when it’s aimed at them are the same ones happy to spout utterly hurtful bile at a moment’s notice to anyone who fits whatever prejudice the Wail is pushing on any given day.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Cougar,

The crux isn’t that they’re white, but rather that they’re apoplectic with rage.

I completely agree 🙂 Although as I said I don’t think its helpful.

But that means the word “White” should probably be avoided in the definition, or criticised when it turns up.

You don’t get many non-caucasian Islamophobes so it must be racist, right?

I see what you’re trying to say here, but its a bad example if you’ve ever heard of the partition of india.

edlong
    Free Member

As a sanctimonious lefty I’d been watching the “gammon” thing evolve with unease knowing the inevitable backlash would surely follow.

Personally, if there’s an argument where one group are being insultingly labelled and stereotyped based on their physical appearance, I instinctively tend towards the other side.

“Gammon” is dead, we need a different word. I’m going with “racist”

km79
    Free Member

You don’t get many non-caucasian Islamophobes so it must be racist, right?

Yes you do. Quite a lot of them actually.

edlong
    Free Member

You don’t get many non-caucasian Islamophobes

I think we have a strong candidate for “most ill-informed comment of the year” right there!

v8ninety

I don’t think that it is inherently racist, although defining a group by a shared skin colour is certainly sailing close to the wind. It does seem incendiary, divisive and kind of a bit ‘can’t beat ‘em; join ‘em’, however. Feels like a bit of an own goal to me, despite there being a small amount of delicious ironing present from the racist types getting all holier than thou about it.

piemonster

““Gammon” is dead, we need a different word. I’m going with “racist””

The problem with that is quite often the racist in question uses a definition of racist that doesn’t match any dictionary definition so doesn’t accept it as accurate.

Whereas gammon seems to get them defecating with rage.

Klunk
    Free Member

Whereas gammon seems to get them defecating with rage.

cos they they are being called “pinko” 😉

kimbers

I’ve just thought, is Gammons eytomology a legacy of the Norman conquest, – from the French Jambon?

No wonder the little Englanders despise it so !

Cougar

I see what you’re trying to say here, but its a bad example if you’ve ever heard of the partition of india.

Maybe I should’ve qualified that statement with “round here.”

kimbers

Urban dictionary makes no mention of French origins

<div class=”ribbon”>TOP DEFINITION</div>
    <div class=”def-header”>Gammon</div>
    <div class=”meaning”>(Noun/mass noun): A term used to describe a particular type of Brexit-voting, middle-aged white male, whose meat-faced complexion suggests they are perilously close to a stroke.

The term ‘gammon’ is linked to the unhealthy pink skin tone of such stout yeomen, probably because of high blood pressure caused by decades of ‘PC gone mad’, being defeated in arguments about the non-existent merits of Brexit and women getting the vote.

Gammon often make their appearance on BBC’s Question Time jabbing their porcine fingers at the camera while demanding immediate nuclear strikes against Remain-voting areas, people who eat vegetables and/or cyclists.

When gammon appears en masse it is often referred to as a “wall of gammon”.</div>
    <div class=”example”>Did you see Question Time last night? It was absolutely rammed with gammon.

Some random gammon started posting “Ingland 4 the Inglish! granit brexit now” all over my mum’s Facebook.

Oi, gammon, pipe down or you’ll do yourself a mischief.</div>

slowoldman

I don’t think that it is inherently racist, although defining a group by a shared skin colour is certainly sailing close to the wind

It’s not a skin colour, it’s a complexion.

ransos
    Free Member

neilthewheel

Gammon over to my place.

Heyyy, we’re havin’ a (Democratic Unionists) Party.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Let us not forget the Head Gammon:

footflaps

The problem with that is quite often the racist in question uses a definition of racist that doesn’t match any dictionary definition so doesn’t accept it as accurate.

Exactly, most racists think that their racist behaviour isn’t racist because it appears on / is condoned by the front page of the Mail/Express every day.

It’s no worse than the whole Snowflake thing which the Gammon community use to describe their perceived 5th columists.

CountZero

I think it’s a rather ham-fisted way of making a point…

footflaps

More good humoured gammon baiting 🙂

https://twitter.com/mc_hankins/status/996453017737187330?s=04

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

I’m still not completely comfortable with this whole thing for the reasons stated above.

But I saw that Gammon People thing on twitter and now I can’t stop humming it and smiling to myself.

As long as its about “spluttering indignation” and not “white people” I think I can live with it :O)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Gammon’ is closed to new replies.