Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Gaming steering wheel?
  • DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Me & the boy like playing dirt rally /dirt 4 on the xbox one, now im looking at getting a steering wheel setup to add to the fun but its a bit of a minefield!
    Don’t want to spend a fortune but needs to be good enough to improve the experience over the gamepad.
    Don’t think I need a clutch or gearshift, or do I????
    Anyone have any recommendations/advice?

Cougar

Budget? The Logitech one is well regarded, but it’s £200.

Don’t think I need a clutch or gearshift, or do I????

Only you can answer that really. Do you play in manual or auto on the pad?

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Play auto, so probs don’t need clutch/shifter actually.

GeForceJunky

Logitech G920 is the cheapest I’d buy, but I’d spend a little more on a Thrustmaster TX, preferable with the Leather or GTE additional wheels. Then do a ‘brake pedal mod’ by adding a block of rubber to the brake pedal to make it much more controllable. The TX should have better force feedback and it has a nice selection of add-ons such as shifters and better pedals.

Notter
    Free Member

I picked up a G920 on Prime Day for £130, at that price it was a steal and I reckoned they’ll do similar again next time around, I do recall a while ago seein PC World doing them for £170 but not at the moment,

Factor in a stand also, you’ll need it, I got the Wheel Stand Pro, £95 odd on top. You won’t regret it though, if you’re a driving game fan they truly revolutionise the gameplay experience.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

We have Thrustmaster TX. Currently only playing Dirt 4 and the mega hard Dirt rally.
    But Project Cars and Forza 7 are out in a few months so maybe off the dirt by then.
    IMO the wheel is ace even if you can be quicker on the gamepad.
    In dirt your arms will ache a lot until you turn down the force feedback it is so strong.
    Have upgraded to the 599 wheel, triple pedals and the H-shifter in the last year due to enjoying it so much.
    You don’t need any of the add on. Especially the gear shifter as it comes
    With with paddle shifter.

Notter
    Free Member

Ps – brake pedal is rubber damped (elastomer? Reminds me of my brothers first “Ballistic” suss forks!) so does need a good stamp on it, I like it though, especially compared to the old MS Xbox 360 wheel.

Cougar

Aside – if you like driving games can I recommend Forza Horizon 3? It’s great fun.

danbo
    Free Member

Thrustmaster TX if you can afford it, belt driven and changeable wheels.

But the Thrustmaster TMX Pro is really good, but only because it has better pedals than the TMX regular, which if the pedals dont bother you would be the best way to go.

The Logitech is geared, which is old tech compared to the above two, so I wouldnt recommend it now.

legend
    Free Member

especially compared to the old MS Xbox 360 wheel.

The pro tip there was half a tennis ball under the brake pedal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Gaming steering wheel?’ is closed to new replies.