Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • gaming / performance laptops
  • dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Are there any brands to look at for gaming/high-performance laptops, other than Alienware (expensive & ugly), MSI or maybe Asus?

Are Medion any good?

Need one for CAD/photo manipulation, etc – 17″ screen and nVidia Gfx are the only real requirements. An ultrabook would be lovely but they don’t do them with big enough screens!
    Budget ~ £1.5k.

transapp
    Free Member

I use a Samsung Rf711 for work, seems pretty damn good to me.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

http://www.europc.co.uk had some refurbished Dell precision m6600 laptops which have 17.3 inch screens and some have NVidia graphics, and will be just within your budget, depending on the spec you get.

However, there is only one in stock at the moment, a core i5. They don’t put the screen specs on their site for some reason so you need to phone to check which have 1080P, as any less on a 17inch screen would be silly.

There are also some on ebay.

These come with the dell 3 year warranty, although you should check when it started, as they are basically outlet machines sometimes the warranty started a couple of months ago. You can check on the dell site if you get the tag number.

Dell have grades of refurbished, and grade 1 is indistinguishable from new – I have just bought one and it does look like new.

This is my 3rd dell refurbished laptop and they have all been fine.

My 1080P, quad-core i7, 2.4/3.4Ghz, 500 Gb HD, 16Gb memory was something like £1350. It has ATI graphics though, although this performs better than the low-mid level NVidia options, apparently.

The matt screen is nice and the colors are good, much better than my 24inch dell monitor.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    somouk
    Free Member

The Dell XPS units are the same as Alienware and normally cheaper.

Also have a think about a macbook, the hardware is bomb proof and you can run windows if need be.

kevj
    Free Member

I’m <sitting at work, shh> using a HP Elitebook 8760w for 3D modelling. Intel I7, 8gb ram, Nvidia Quadro 4000m. 17″ screen is good but using a hub to channel the screen to a 24″ monitor.

Its a very capable machine. Not sure how much it cost though.

Clobber
    Free Member

My dell precision M6600 is great as above.

I7-2860 8gb ram quadro 3000m £1000 complete with the latest ms office delivered from ebay…

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Clobber got a good deal. I have just got a Dell M6600 for running SolidWorks and it was nearer £4000 with a 1/2 gig solid state HD.
    Good machines though. Runs Solidworks better than my office bound desktop. Pretty good running COD MW3 as well! 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Double post

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Well this has given food for thought for the weekend!
    Needs to be something that will last more than just 2-3 years.
    Current F-S model has lasted 8years & only just past its best now.

spacemonkey

I just bought a Lenovo Y580 before the price went up this morning. Can probably still get for <£1000 if you look around.

Ivy Bridge i7, 8Gb, 1080p 1920×1080, GeForce 660M, SSD, Blu-Ray, JBLs. A cracking piece of kit. Ideal for gaming and media. Plenty of oomph when needed. Loads of reviews available – just be sure to avoid the 1366×768 screen version.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Until the Lenovo came along I was thinking that the Dell m6600 was the STW workstation laptop of choice 🙂

ericemel
    Free Member
    kcal

definitely look at Apple MacBooks. They seem to hold their value well too – e.g. I’ve just flogged a Mac mini I bought 7 years ago for £110; looking to do the same for the 8 year old PowerPC laptop and they seem to have /some/ resale value which is reassuring..

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’ve just got a macbook pro, 15″ retina, 2.3ghz, 8gb & 256gb ssd. get one of them and run windows on it if you must?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Would rather npt get a macbook for purely logistical reasons – it will be semi-supported by her company in use but we’re buying it ourselves. I don’t want the inevitable hassle of trying to run Windows on one and they cost quite a lot more too.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Ive just bought a Sager (also sold as a Clevo) from http://www.pwn-pcs.co.uk. Awesome service from them, great price and most importantly a great laptop. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

Klunk
    Free Member

use the candlestick in the library.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘gaming / performance laptops’ is closed to new replies.