Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Games for dog on 'minimal exercise'
  • hp_source

Our springer had a little mishap over the weekend and has ended up with a few staples in his leg and enforced low exercise regime for another week.

So apart from short walks and pootling around the garden we need to keep him amused, we normally get him to hunt around the house for toys and treats, he has enough toys, one or two that need thought to get treats, he loves taking the lids off bottles etc 🙂

Does anyone have any other good ideas to challenge him mentally… I’ve tried and he just can’t grasp poker or domino’s 🙂

Cheers stw dog lovers,

project
    Free Member

Scrabble using dog biscuits,

Jase
    Free Member

Get a few plastic cups, put a treat under 1 and then mix them up. Then get him to select the one with the treat.

cheez0
    Free Member

fetch, only the dog gets to sit on a comfy chair while you do the throwing and fetching.

lolling of tongue, panting and tail wagging mandatory!

I_did_dab
    Free Member

How about airport security? Dog sits by door, stream of people go past with bags, one of the bags contains treats/toy. Dog has to indicate the correct bag to win…
    Could be a gameshow for dogs in a parallel universe…

solarpowered
    Free Member

Gonna be a tad boring ( possibly) and suggest doing basic training exercises. Dogs like a Springers love completing tasks and pleasing you – I think he would love it and it obviously isn’t too taxing! An hour of this each evening would probably do you both the world of good 😀
    Sit, roll over, give paw, fetch specific items from a few, turn to heel etcetc The list is endless!
    Have fun whatever you up doing and it’s only a week to go!

sputnik
    Free Member

I did dab winning so far 😀

PePPeR

I never feed mine food in a bowl, it always get thrown over the grass in the garden, he spends ages finding every single biscuit, he loves hunting up and down for them and it keeps him occupied for far longer than it just being shoved under his nose.

Helios
    Free Member

How about putting one of his favourite toys in a cardboard box, tape it up, and let him destroy the box to get it out. This will keep my destructo-pup entertained for a good while. Can also do it with bits of cardboard layered around a treat in a pass-the-parcel stylee.

GrahamS

How about putting one of his favourite toys in a cardboard box, tape it up, and let him destroy the box to get it out.

Possibly not if his favourite toy is your new iPhone. 😀

Mantastic
    Free Member

Smother your Knackers in marmite and wander round the house in the buff. A bit of fun for the both of you.

Or get a kong timer (Kong time) genius

GrahamS

Bit Russian Roulette that one. You need to be very sure he is a licker and not a biter 😆

Klunk
    Free Member

i know how to exercise a dog with minimal effort for the walkees.

hp_source

Cheers – had him playing Jase’ suggestion last night… not sure he was 100% on what was going on, but seemed to occupy him.

Might see if we can crack a bit of obedience tonight! Reckon he might get a night in the pub later in the week too, that always goes down well with us both, maximum fussing, minimum effort.

willard

Graham,

Now that’s a happy puppy. He looks really pleased with himself, so he must be a fandroid.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Games for dog on 'minimal exercise'’ is closed to new replies.