Gamers – would you swap a PS4 for a Switch?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Gamers – would you swap a PS4 for a Switch?
  • Premier Icon sc-xc
    Subscriber

In the past, I have loved gaming, although I was always a Nintendo fanboy.

In my ‘smoking’ days, I could spend 6-7 hours playing battle mode on Block Fort (N64 Karts), and have owned every Nintendo console since the NES. Including the bastard GC.

A couple of years without a console made me itch to play something, so at Christmas I bought a PS4. Got a few games – I wanted the snowboard one, and bought the newest Unchartered along with a platformer, a driver and a singing one for the kids.

It has been turned on maybe 5 times.

Now I’m reading about the Switch, and with The option to pay Karts I’m considering swapping the PS4 for something I think I’ll play.

I guess I’ll be going backwards…but anyone got an idea of the best way of doing this? Sell then buy? Go to CEX? Spam the local FB groups?

My son is telling me to wait for the remastered MW2, but even that couldn’t beat razzing around chucking shells at people….

loddrik

I’m curious about the Switch. I loved super Mario galaxy on the wii and I’m assuming there’ll be something similar. My 7yr old daughter might get one for her 8th birthday, whether she wants one or not!!

Tom_W1987

Just played on a Switch last night – admittedly whilst utterly shit faced – but it was genuinely great fun with mates. Much better than the Wii.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

I wouldn’t but I can see why you would.

for me GTA / Red dead redemption means I’d never give up the PS4, but karting appeals

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

We love our wii still, Mario kart and pissing about on wii fit… With 5+7 year old girls it’s been all the console we need…

strangely enough it died a couple of weeks ago… Hmmm.

Premier Icon muddy@rseguy
    Subscriber

Get a Switch.

Can’t speak for Mario Kart 8 (getting that soon) but Zelda Breath of the Wild is reason enough

Premier Icon beaker
    Subscriber

@cookeaa….. if your Wii has died can I buy the Mariocart game off you? Miss/Master Beaker have lost our game disc somehow….

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

Our Wii died as well about 3 weeks ago, £15 BuyItNow on eBay had us a replacement a couple of days later as we weren’t ready to do without it. Switch ooks fun, but my son has committed to the PC route for now.

Personally, i would wait on the Switch, it’s ‘in’ right now, wait 6 months and watch the price crash. Switch is a bit gimmicky, there are too many upcoming games on the PS4 to be excited about. If karts is all you want get a wii or a DS and keep the PS4

plyphon

The issue with the switch is that it only really has one game right now.

Tom_W1987

Personally, i would wait on the Switch, it’s ‘in’ right now, wait 6 months and watch the price crash. Switch is a bit gimmicky, there are too many upcoming games on the PS4 to be excited about. If karts is all you want get a wii or a DS and keep the PS4

You say that, but I’d completely forgotten just how fun the very Japanese/Nintendoey games are – there’s just a certain character and joy to them that a lot of western games companies cant match – despite huge budgets.

mattyfez

Gamers game on PC. Consoles are for children.

You can always run an emulator if you want to play older console games.

Tom_W1987

I’ve got a gaming laptop and a desktop, still really enjoyed messing around on the Switch.

There’s only so much Warhammer: Total War, Elite Dangerous or Lock On/Falcon 4/IL2 that I can handle before real life/riding/the wife catches up with me.

Plus PC gaming is really anti-social unless you’re counting your online/gaming mates.

flaps

My PS4 has become more of a blu-ray player these days, I can’t get back into it either. I too like the sound of the Switch and think it’d be great with the kids.

I bought my kids breath of the wild on the Wii u.
    They love it, it looks amazing and the game is massive.
    Tempted by a switch but at the moment, for a £300+ outlay, it doesn’t make sense.
    If they drop in price then maybe.
    Mario kart on the Wii u is great, four player racing is smooth and chaotic!

A srs PC gamer yesterday

Please tell me that was not a serious post.

I’ve had a brief go on a mate’s Switch and it is good fun, but I wouldn’t want to commit just yet.

tomzo

If anyone does decide to switch and is looking to sell a PS4, send me a message as my PS3 has just died…

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Rich gamers game on PCs. I got so bored of the eternal arms race, “here’s the latest game, but the graphics card you paid £200 for last week is obsolete.” Anyone want a 3Dfx card?

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Bit passé that kind of binary thinking, no?

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Mariokart 7 on the 3DS and Mariokart 8 on Wii U and Switch kick the arse of any but the original SNES version. Both a real step forward from Mariokart Wii or Mariokart DS.

Tom_W1987

TBF Cougar, graphics card advancement is happening at a snailspace now – the latest generation of Nvidias and ATIs really arent that much better than the last generation and in the case of ATI the generation before that.

Plus the games are mostly console ports so mid range cards are playing a lot of new/newish games maxxed out.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Gamers – would you swap a PS4 for a Switch?’ is closed to new replies.