Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Galaxy vs S-max?
  • althepal

Number 2 sprog on the way. Talking to the Mrs about next car to get after our focus.
    After discussions S-max came out on top. She likes the 7 seats, more room than our focus saloon and looks. I like the bike capacity and the fold flat seats for sleeping in.
    Looking at prices though and decent ones seem to hold their value well- we’re prob looking at two or three year old ones.
    Anyway, was looking at the galaxy today and am really wondering what the differences are- slightly more headroom, slightly less flexibility seats wise?
    There seems to be more available and at better prices too..
    Anyone had both and can advise?

FuzzyWuzzy

Not personally but my father had an S-Max and traded it in for a Galaxy as he wanted a bit more room (and as you found didn’t lose any money in the process as Galaxies are a lot cheaper second-hand). Both drive pretty poorly compared with a half-decent car so I wouldn’t just go for the S-Max thinking it drives way better. Personally I’d go for the Galaxy every time.

loddrik
    Free Member

Me too, I actually prefer the looks of the galaxy too.

DickBarton

Galaxy is bigger and heavier so likely to be less fuel efficient (but not by much!). We have an SMax and although it is great it isn’t as handy for bike duties as I’d hoped. I ride a large frame and I still need to remove bits and piece (wheel and saddle) for it to fit. If just me and bike, fits on side no probs but for more than just me it isn’t as easy as I expected it to be.

Otherwise been a great family bus…would have another if our circumstances changed, as it is, it is too big for us now…trading it in in the next few months I think.

theflatboy
    Free Member

FuzzyWuzzy – Member

Both drive pretty poorly compared with a half-decent car

we just got an s-max and it’s great to drive, IMO. surprising, considering the size of the thing.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

We use the galaxy as a work vehicle, and to be honest it’s been very unreliable. Biggest problem has been the diesel particulate filter.
    Comfy tho, but the galaxy is a big old bus. If it were my cash I would look elsewhere. Friend of mine bought an old shape discovery 04 from new, 7 seater and he didn’t have a single problem with it, traded it for a V W passat.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I have a Galaxy 2.0TDCi. Great family car, great bike carrier (three bikes in the back with nothing removed plus kit with all seats down). Disagree they’re not good to drive, they’re no sports car obviously, but it’s the best distance car I’ve ever had.

Relatively cheap to run (insurance, tax) and just got back from a business trip to Warrington (from Brizzle) where it averaged 51mpg.

Love mine and will keep it for years. Niece has an S-Max, nice car but with lowered roofline the rear two seats are really children only, and the size of the rear hatch is surprisingly limiting when trying to load bikes, furniture etc.

higgo
    Free Member

Out of interest, why does #2 sprog = Galaxy (or S-Max)?

We have triplets and when they were all in the clunkiest of car seats we found we had to get a (mk2) Galaxy. Only an MPV or the very biggest of estate cars e.g. E-class Merc were wide enough to have the three seats side-by-side.

Now they’re a bit older and don’t have such huge seats we’ve gone smaller again, Renault Megane. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend the Megane but you don’t have to have an MPV, just because you’ve got >1 offspring.

djflexure

Had both, traded smax for galaxy. Smax drives better, but you forget that after a while as the Galaxy is nice.
    Got rid of the smax as its boot curves down quite a bit so can’t get as much in – matters if you drive down to S France each summer loaded with 3 kids and a load of kit. The diesel engines are great on long trips. Our 2.2 is very smooth and flies.
    If the galaxy is cheaper I’d just get it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Galaxy vs S-max?’ is closed to new replies.