Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Gaiters – Do I need them?
  • sparkyspice
    Free Member

I think I”d like some and there are deals to be had, but would I be better off getting muddy trousers and spending my £20 in the pub?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you care about muddy trousers? I only use them for snow and snakes

sparkyspice
    Free Member

Having dry socks/boots/feet is more important than the muddy trousers!
    I hate wet feet…

Stoner
    Free Member

I swear by them. Wouldnt do any big hikes without them. Dry feet and keeping grass seeds out are the main reasons I where them, not to keep my trooz clean.

the_lecht_rocks

Stop snow from entering my boot tops.

mattbee

And ticks…

boriselbrus
    Free Member

In snow, long wet grass and peat bogs, then possibly.

For everything else, no. If it’s raining then certainly no as you have to have them under your waterproof trousers or the rain runs down the inside of them. SO then you get wet socks through sweat. Personally I haven’t used mine for about 10 years.

Rscott
    Free Member

I have a set but only ever get used when the crampons come out nothing wrose than puting a hole though a set of good waterproof trousers

highclimber
    Free Member

I have a set but only ever get used when the crampons come out nothing wrose than puting a hole though a set of good waterproof trousers

yes there is – catching your crampon point on your gaiters (which should be underneath your waterproofs anyway) and tumbling down a snow slope!

brooess
    Free Member

Yes.
    They’re not really about keeping your trousers clean. They’re about keeping stopping the water/snow going into the top of your boot and soaking/freezing your feet.
    Not all mountains have nicely laid paths and for those times when you have no choice but to bimble on through a bog they are worth their weight in gold

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Cling film?

martinhutch

Anyone use them for riding/carrying in foul conditions? I’ve got a pair tucked away somewhere, and while I imagine the straps are a nuisance, it’s not an insoluble problem.

molgrips
    Free Member

I never used to use them, then I got a pair and they are fab. You can step in big bogs or even streams briefly and your feet stay dry and comfy. Ace, and all for £20.

Rscott
    Free Member

each to there own hill climber, but the same result happens when you put your crampon through your waterproofs, which if wearing gatares under them will all owsnow and water inside the trousers defeating causing more issues as well as the snow balling up and being a general pain.

my gaiters are tight fitting to keep loose trousers (being very short) from bagging at the bottom, i also when out in winter have my water proofs on constantly

druidh
    Free Member

In anything but heavy rain I prefer to leave the waterproof trousers in my bag and rely on jacket and gaiters. In Ye Olden Days a long cagoule made the trousers unnecessary.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohhh I hated them, ohhh for sooo many years I hated them. They just put the willies up me when I spotted the Red Sock Brigade out in the hills wearing them.. ohhh how I laughed. Just the thought of sweaty legs and all that tight clamping around my calves.. nooooo..

Then..

I was walking over the Long Mynd one day and it was boggy and thorns & thistles & bracken and my calves got shredded.. I bought a cheap pair of gaiters (breathable) from the local saddlery and have never looked back since..

Buy a cheap pair for £20.00 off ebay, make sure they are breathable though.
    And don’t put them on upside down. 😳

duckman

Gaiters all the way from October to September.

user-removed
    Free Member

Absolutely invaluable. If you’re walking through heather, long grass or bogs, they make the difference between a pleasant plod and a soggy slog. I R a powitt.

butcher

I picked some up in either ALDI or LIDL not long back. They’re great. It’s a revelation for me, to return from a long muddy walk and remain dry. I’m usually soaked from the knee downwards.

piemonster

Cameron McNeish was just on’t telly (BBC2 Scotland) walking the 470 mile Scottish National Trail. Didn’t appear to be wearing gaiters for any of the filmed bits.

Personally I think there overkill most of the time, snow and snakes sounds about right.

Each to there own though, I’d just get some cheapun’s t figure out if they are for you.

druidh
    Free Member

Did you think he was actually walking the whole SNT for the TV program?

stumpyjon

Good for trail building in the summer too, stops the soil and stones from going into your boots if you’re wearing shorts.

piemonster

Did you think he was actually walking the whole SNT for the TV program?

Don’t ruin the magic for me

druidh
    Free Member

Hey – at least he acknowledged the fact he had a crew with him. Not like the Jimmy MacGregor “well – here I am camped alone in the middle of the highlands” approach 🙂

sharki
    Free Member

I do if it’s wet or been raining and i know the area is muddy.
    They’re great at keeping your trouser lowers clean for multiple walking days in foul weather.

You don’t need them, but they have their
    uses.

piemonster

Who was the beardy wierdy fella showing off his tarp?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Only wear gaiters if your in the red sock brigade otherwise NO.

glupton1976
    Free Member

If it’s snow, it’s salopettes to keep the snow out. Lets you sit down without getting a wet arse, and makes taking the quick route down a much dryer affair.

druidh
    Free Member

Dammit! I was saving episode 2 until tomorrow night but you’ve gone and spoiled it now. Grrrr!

piemonster

😛

piemonster

As it goes, it wasn’t Ronald Turnbull. Who for some reason most of my club mates seem to hate. No idea why. Regardless I’ve gone with the flow and hate him too. Probably has a beard or something.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Gaiters – Do I need them?’ is closed to new replies.