• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by 40mpg.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gaiter Users – care to share your experince?
  • jaminb
    Free Member

I experimented with cycling in gaiters yesterday and was (almost) really impressed. Dry feet, shoes and lower half of my trousers shielded from the splash of running streams and puddles. But my drive side one snagged on the chainwheel after they started to slip down my shins and go baggy.

Mine were a £7 pound experiment so no biggy about the now quiet large hole. However are there any better biking specific versions? Is there any technique for holding the gaiter up around the shin? If not I think a Gorilla tape patch will assist in stiffing the lower section.

Any thoughts? Thanks

tjagain

I have use them on occasion – I have them for walking. The ones I have have elastic around the top to stop them slipping down – just standard mountaineering ones

benp1

I’ve been wearing them with walking boots and outdoorsy trousers for local rides. Much easier in the mud, laces are protected and less messy to deal with

Thought the strap would get ruined but seems to be ok so far

I have a few pairs, these are a cheap pair I wasn’t using just to see how it goes

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    damascus
    Free Member

These on ebay look interesting item 301806470075

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F301806470075

But getting caught up in the chain ring was a concern.

Are you running 1x?

doomanic

I have Vaude Bike Gaiters Long. Bloody brilliant!

Not perfectly dry as the rear Velcro fasteners are pads, not a long strip, so the occasional splash can get through but so much better than not wearing them.

jaminb
    Free Member

those Vaude ones look good but I would be worried the toe would wear through quick with all my pushing. I did have a pair of decathalon waterproof trousers that hooked over the toe and lasted all of about a 20 min push on the PBW.

Damascus still running double chainring (cant see that a single would help with snagging).

scruff9252

I used A pair of gaiters for the mudfest puffer of ’16. Worked really well and had fairly dry-ish feet when combined with walking boots.

They got destroyed over the 24 hours but a worthwhile investment / sacrifice

tall_martin

I wear gaiters under my water proof trousers over my water proof boots when it’s miserable.

5h in the peaks is massively more pleasant. With out the gaiters the water goes down my leg into the boots and can’t escape.

I bought some that have draw strings at the top. They sit high enough over my calves that when they are tightend they stay up. Mine are ladies, they are a struggle to get over my actual walking boots but fine over the cycling boots

Gaiter fan here 😀

windysurfer
    Free Member

I wear a pair of cheapo ebay ones with both waterproof pants and shorts if its wet but warmish.

Keep the water splashes out of your shoes and the bottom of my legs/pant are clean enough when you remove the gaiters to go in the pub for a swift pint without changing.

13thfloormonk

I have weird legs, or underdeveloped calves or something, no gaiters would stay up until I discovered long Berghaus gaiters, which were a revelation, they just stay up!

dudeofdoom

These on ebay look interesting item 301806470075

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F301806470075

But getting caught up in the chain ring was a concern.

I’ve got some of these somewhere, they make the bottom of your boots really wide so you can walk on snow , I doubt you’d happily pedal a bike using them tbh.

Good for yomping around in snow thou 🙂

damascus
    Free Member

@dudeofdoom thanks, I always wondered, now I know.

40mpg

I use gaitors all winter in the New Forest slop. Ankle gaitors are sufficient and dont rub at all. I’ve ridden through water that comes well over the top of my boots, but as long as you’re moving forward doesn’t get through the gaitors.

I find goretex ones better as cheap plasticky ones give me sweaty ankles / feet (and later cold feet). 5 hours of fatbiking on the beach and forest bogs and dry warm feet all day today. Something like these:

null

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gaiter Users – care to share your experince?’ is closed to new replies.