Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Gainsborough is grim.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Isn’t it? 🙁
    That’s all.

Mr_C
    Free Member

It’s in Lincolnshire. What did you expect?

Edit: It could be worse though. You could be in Sleaford.

Edric64
    Free Member

Yes it is I went there once ,it was closed and derelict makes Bridgwater seem nice

midlifecrashes

Was surprised first time I went as the name makes it sound posh.

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s in Lincolnshire. What did you expect?

I’m from Wrexham and I’m lost for words…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, his portraits of self-important stiffs are a bit ridiculous, but his colours are pretty…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, my grandma used to live there and always thought that when we went to visit..

Cheap houses mind.. 😯

brakes
    Free Member

but a much better place, now you’ve graced it with your presence 🙂

ebygomm
    Free Member

Believe it or not, it’s actually miles better than it used to be!

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

You should try Boston. Actually, you shouldn’t.

rickmeister

Teeto, my Gran and Grandpa were from there too. He worked at Marshalls making earth moving kit and also the first tanks…. I loved it when he would take me round the factory……

But yes, its a bit bleak…

sadexpunk

i work there 😀

and yes, its pretty grim. and yes, bostons bad as well 🙂 its a shame really as gainsbro’s got a great history, involving henry VIII, vikings, sweyn forkbeard, king canute tried to turn back the waves of the trent apparently (the eiger, which again is pretty impressive).

apparently a few decades ago they stuck all the undesirables from other towns there and rumour has it they interbred a fair bit. certainly i believe its got one of the highest amounts of child abuse/paedophilia cases in the uk.

i thought i was being a bit ‘un-pc’ (probably am) thinking that a lot of the people there just look ‘wrong’ to me. hard to put my finger on it but other people say the same thing too.

ive only worked there a couple of years, but it always had a real bad name for violence and crime. its sposed to be better these days, and going to get a fair bit of investment, but yes, right now its a horrible place.

Mikkel
    Free Member

ahghghghg his name is Knud not Canute, its about time you English start learning peoples names.
    thank you.

brakes
    Free Member

sorry Mike

Mikkel
    Free Member

thanks

you bas**** 🙂

phiiiiil

I went to school there… I remember accidentally venturing into the Park Springs estate once, the experience nearly blew my middle class mind… is it still there?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

cycled through it today,

largest mcdonalds compared to town population in the world?

mrs works at rampton, i work in lincoln, might move there, has it shit bits, has its nice bits

elzorillo
    Free Member

It’s not that bad these days.. was an absolute dump a few years ago but pretty average middle england small town now, with loads of new shops etc.

ebygomm
    Free Member

i think they’ve knocked some of the estate down. My old summer job was nearby on Heapham road industrial estate

rickmeister

Rampton.. the mental hospital.. ?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

yer?

donsimon
    Free Member

was an absolute dump a few years ago but pretty average middle england small town now,

😯
    The only middle England thing about it is that it’s neither at the top nor the bottom of England.

rickmeister

Nothing other than I remember it 30 odd years ago as a very scarey looking victorian brick monolith…. thought it was going to be made into flats…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

The only middle England thing about it is that it’s neither at the top nor the bottom of England.

it has a laura ashley and m&s food hall, sounds middle class?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Nothing other than I remember it 30 odd years ago as a very scarey looking victorian brick monolith…. thought it was going to be made into flats…

became part of the NHS in 2001

donsimon
    Free Member

it has a laura ashley and m&s food hall, sounds middle class?

Not sure that means too much anymore. 😐
    That little shopping square is OK, but some of the houses I was looking at and the area was dire…

Mattie_H
    Free Member

There’s a nice road ride alongside the Trent from Scunthorpe though.

No, seriously…

rickmeister

Mattie, my Mum is in the Jenny Wren every friday lunch with friends…

user-removed
    Free Member

Just been having a quick streetview tour of the place. Looks quite nice compared to some of the ex pit villages here in Co Durham.

sadexpunk

I remember accidentally venturing into the Park Springs estate once, the experience nearly blew my middle class mind… is it still there?

aye, still there :-/

largest mcdonalds compared to town population in the world?

aye, its just opened and broke some sort of record for money taken on first day per population or something.

mrs works at rampton, i work in lincoln, might move there, has it shit bits, has its nice bits

nice bits?? nearest decent place is morton, on its outskirts. which bit might you move to?

we’ve seen some right places on our house visits. animal sh*t on the carpets, ferrets running round the house, ex-gypsies keeping donkeys upstairs 😀
    they even had to knock a street down as the occupants just vandalised the houses so much.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

@ rickmeister Ah nice! That’s where my parents go for a posh dinner with friends. I’m from the other side of Scunthorpe originally…

bwaarp
    Free Member

I just went out for a night out in….Melton Mowbray on a Monday night.

Coming back home to the midlands after four years of living in Oxford…..my thoughts are…. all the girls look like hookers, the towns a shithole and everyone wants to start a fight.

rickmeister

Mattie, Mum lives in Burton upon Stather, she still goes with friends every Friday lunchtime since dad died last year. Its nice as the owners are cool with well behaved dogs sitting quietly on the floor.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Small world Rick! I grew up in Winterton and parents are still there.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Sherwood pines is only 15/20 mins from there !,head to Retford then follow a614 to Ollerton roundabout str8 across & you’ll see the signs on you’re right !..Simples

tracknicko
    Free Member

Like most of lincs the countryside bits are nice/quiet and the towns are shitholes.

lack of jobs/money/aspirations to blame.

rickmeister

Mattie, the world is smaller than you think, I went to Winterton Comp..

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Mattie, the world is smaller than you think, I went to Winterton Comp..

That really is a small world. Me too.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not a huge fan, but I quite like this one

rickmeister

Thats a picture of the school ! ^^^^^

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Gainsborough is grim.’ is closed to new replies.