• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by GW.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Gaining Weight and maintaining fitness
  • dandan
    Free Member

This will sound nuts to the average cyclist, but as well as mountain biking I am into weight training and over the past months have added 20lbs of lean body mass through heavy weight training and lots of food, I have only ridden my bike a few times since gaining this weight but boy have I lost my fitness, my question is can I be as fit as I was when I was lighter? is the added weight going to hold me back? If I get out on bike 3 x per week from now on while getting heavier can I be as fit as I was?

keavo
    Free Member

you are fit for lifting weights, not fit for bike riding right now. my opinion is that you will have compromise both or choose which one you really want to be fit for.

dandan
    Free Member

thanks for your advice mate… love both think I just need to get out on the bike up some nice steep hills at least twice per week, get my lungs used to oxygenating the extra mass I have gained.

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

if you get back to being as fit as you were, then you'll still be slower than you were purely as a result of dragging an extra 20lbs round with you

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Power-to-weight ratio is the key. More power is needed to compensate for the extra weight and that power must be cycling-based.

No point having arms, deltoids and lats like Arnie unless you have Chris Hoy legs to go with it.

GW
    Free Member

ditch XC altogether and switch to DH, 4X and/or Dirtjumping.. best of both worlds 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Gaining Weight and maintaining fitness’ is closed to new replies.