Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • GaggiaTrackWorld
  • onewheelgood

My Classic is now 12 years old. The steam valve is leaking, so I’m going to have to replace it again (I think this will be the third time). Steam valves are £30. Should I take it as an excuse to buy a complete new machine?

If the answer is yes, what should it be?

One thing that worries me a bit is that I’ve never had an Orange 5, I’ve recently got rid of the Audi. If the Gaggia goes too, will I still be allowed on here?

deadkenny
    Free Member

The classic is great. New valve, save the rest of the money for new bike. N+1 gives you a free ticket to STW.

onewheelgood

I was just about to say that n+1 would be difficult as the garage is already full of bikes, but then I realised that there’s plenty of room in the living room.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Curious. What are you using the steam for?

onewheelgood

Steaming or frothing milk. Actually that bit isn’t too bad, but if I’m just using it to get hot water for an Americano the amount of water that escapes around the valve shaft instead of down the pipe is getting excessive.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I was just about to say that n+1 would be difficult as the garage is already full of bikes, but then I realised that there’s plenty of room in the living room.

Carry on, as you were. 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Steaming or frothing milk.

I bet you add sprinkles and marshmallows too 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

What on earth is wrong with frothing milk? Or is there now a sub-clique of Classic ownership?

I love my coffee and I love cappuccino. And my wife managed to buy a catering bag of chocolate sprinkle by sweet-talking the guy at Costa – and that was my Valentine’s present. I was well chuffed 🙂

onewheelgood

How very dare you! Marshmallows are right out, as is any kind of syrup. I might occasionally sprinkle some finely grated Valrhona single estate on a cappucino.

MrSmith
    Free Member

have you done the rancilio wand mod?

johndoh
    Free Member

have you done the rancilio wand mod?

I did that and I have converted back – I tried and tried and tried and couldn’t get a froth that was anything like decent.

molgrips
    Free Member

What makes you think the new valve in a new machine will last any longer than a new valve in your old machine?

johndoh
    Free Member

I also put syrup in my coffee sometimes. So what.

Conversely, sometimes I just have a very sweet espresso. I wasn’t aware of these rules about what drinks you are allowed to make when using a coffee machine.

molgrips
    Free Member

So innocent.. so naieve..

onewheelgood

molgrips, that’s a good question. If the experience of people with other machines is that steam valves are a consumable item on those too, and it’s not just a Gaggia Classic thing, then that would obviously influence any decision.

Seamus
    Free Member

What on earth is wrong with frothing milk? Or is there now a sub-clique of Classic ownership?

Nothing as long as it is before 9-30am 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Ohh shit – I had one after work when I got home last night (to attempt to subdue the urge to open a beer).

saladdodger
    Free Member

my Classic went belly up no water flow so I replaced it with a “la Neuva era cudra” the espressos are really good and the steam pressure is far far superior to the Gaggia but the machine was 4x the price of the gaggia but worth every penny ( once the wife got back down from the ceiling )

As for the gaggia well the Solenoid valve was blocked with a tiny bit of scale cleaned it out and it still works a treat at our retreat ace bit of kit

onewheelgood

sd, where in the UK did you find a La Nuova? Google isn’t helping me.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Are you SURE its the actual valve and not just the fibre/rubber seal on the wand joint?
    Mine did this recently and it was a 5min, 7p job to replace it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone had the high pressure pump get.. well. weaker, over time? I suspect mine is. It seems to struggle with coffees and grinds that used to be okay.

johndoh
    Free Member

Do you descale Mol?

molgrips
    Free Member

Soft water area but I have done.. i did it a fair few times when trying to stop it leaking.

Turned out I could unscrew the screw behind the screw that holds the filter in where the water comes out – behind that there’s a ball spring valve – stretch the spring, sorted.

MrSmith
    Free Member

sd, where in the UK did you find a La Nuova? Google isn’t helping me.

they used to be imported by caffeine Ltd but i dont know if they do them now? i photographed one for a coffee magazine, was quite big and i wasn’t that impressed by the panel fit compared to the competition

onewheelgood

hammy, I’m sure. It comes out around the spindle of the valve, not from the steam pipe. Same as the last three :-(.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I bought my Cudra from wogan coffee in Bristol

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘GaggiaTrackWorld’ is closed to new replies.