Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • G Shock smartwatch, sub £300?
  • Kryton57

Is there such a thing?   I’m thinking I might consider a smartwatch again, but it needs to be outdoors rugged, waterproof, measure steps, sleep and VO2max, last a few days / week, be good looking and under £300.  Maybe a smaller cheaper Nixon?

Two chaps at work have a black Garmin – Fenix 3 I think  – but it doesn’t look like you want to wear it while your wrist is buried in a chainset…

??

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

How and why would you busy your wrist in a chainset?…

The garmin will be great, in my experience of them.

Kryton57

Well I meant messing around i the shed with bikes…

teethgrinder

Vivoactive 3 does all that, and it has a strap do you can take it off. I do that when working on the car.

LeeW

There’s a new Garmin which is styled like a G Shock. Can’t remember the model though. Got a good review on DC Rainmaker.

Kryton57

Garmin Instinct?  Short battery life though.

Any views on the Ticwatch Pro?

captmorgan
    Free Member

The battery life seems reasonable to me, what were you expecting?

Finally, from a basics standpoint the battery life of the unit is claimed at 14 days in regular watch mode (no GPS enabled), and 16 hours in GPS-on mode. It claims 40 hours in GPS-on mode with UltraTrac enabled. I’d say these claims are in the ballpark based on my usage. Of course, like most people I don’t tend to do 16hr hikes every day, nor do I just use my watch sans-GPS either for 14 days. But the battery seems to easily last me a week with about an hour of GPS activity each day (on average).

malgrey
    Free Member

I also have a Garmin Vivoactive 3. Though I’ve not had it long, I’m very happy with it. Does all the things you say, and is waterproof. Yet to know how ultimately durable it is, buts its a hell of a lot better made than a previous Fitbit Blaze I had, and seems well designed to survive. I wouldn’t be putting any watch into the chainset, never had a problem with watches getting damaged during outdoor stuff since I scratched a Suunto in a jamming crack on Stanage 20 years ago, yet I leave them on all the time. You could always buy a screen protector for it (though my experience of these is that they crack easily, so you have to keep replacing them, or just stop replacing them and find you actually never end up scratching the watch face anyway).

Personally I dislike the G-Shock look, as I wear the watch on all occasions, so I prefer something that looks a little less like I think I’m on an expedition whilst in a work meeting.

schmiken

I bought an Elephone W7 and I’m impressed.

MarinNo8
    Free Member

I have had my Fenix 3 sapphire for 3 years now and I wear it daily wether it’s on the school run, riding, going out, fixing things, tree felling etc. No issues at all. Very durable.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Long time Fenix 3 Sapphire user here… Great watch but have bought an Instinct as mentioned above.

Battery life not quite what my Fenix is but still pretty good. Display impressive and has some near features. It’s significantly smaller than the Fenix if that matters. Still early days with it but impressed so far.

Kuco

I’ve got a Vivoactive 3 music and been impressed with it so far, battery pisses all over the TomTom spark it replaced.

tinribz
    Free Member

Been thinking about an Amazfit Bip to replace my ageing fitbit blaze 1.  Gorilla glass, GPS and allegedly a 45 day battery life <£70:

Amazfit Bip smart watch review. What do you get for £50 or $70? Quite a lot in fact …

bensales
    Free Member

Another Fenix user here, mine’s a 5 with the normal glass. It’s bulletproof, I’ll happily wear it doing anything.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘G Shock smartwatch, sub £300?’ is closed to new replies.