Furthest you have travelled to buy a bike?

Home Forum Bike Forum Furthest you have travelled to buy a bike?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Furthest you have travelled to buy a bike?
  • Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

A guy I ride with got the train from Harrogate to Dover* and back in a day to pick up a bike.

*might have been Portsmouth, I forget

Premier Icon househusband
    Subscriber

East Fife to Infinity Cycles in Durham (about 170miles each way) to make sure I was getting the right size Scott CR1 road bike; great service and I was fully assured I was buying the right size. They also matched a deal that another bike shop was doing.

LenHankie

Kent to Wales to pick up an Alpinestars Al-Mega in the 90’s… 8)

mrben100

Being a fan of Trek Bikes (apologies for the foul language 😳 ), I’ve always had to pick up bikes I’ve bought.

Furthest – 550mile round trip to Wheelies in South Wales – for certain reasons had to pick up and turn around and come straight back not chance to test in the local vicinity.

chilled76

Nottingham to Ulverston to pick up a frame once (420 mile round trip). I did however stay over at my bro’s house for the night who lives near there so killed two birds with one stone.

I’m driving 200 miles to deliver one on Monday though :-0

avdave2

While on a camping holiday from Brighton I managed to slowly edge us towards Bristol so I could get a look and probably buy an Overbury’s Pioneer. My friends finally relented and we turned up to find the shop was closed on Wednesdays. My friends haven’t stopped laughing about it to this day and that was 1987. I ended up going to Roberts instead and getting a custom built White Spider built.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Egham to Penge.

turbo1397

I drove from glasgow to london to pick up a roadbike. . I was driving a car that returned 65mpg and hooked up with some pals I hadn’t seen in a while so killed 2 birds. 🙂

tang

Guy I ride with went to Jeff Joneses home in the US to buy a bike from him. When the dollar was weak he did this several times.

Premier Icon captain_bastard
    Subscriber

I can’t top Tang, and in fact my last bike was a 5 min stroll. I did however sell a bontrager race or a couple of years ago, chap from France drove over to collect

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

A few of us down here in Worthing could check it for you, might know the seller! That’s a long way for a bike, I’ve driven further for rare VW parts though..

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

Did Doncaster to Bridgwater once, but combined it with a furniture swap with relatives who had just moved house to Clevedon so killed two birds with one stone. Oh, and more importantly, the mother in law was staying at our house that weekend. 🙂

yunki

we drove to north **** wales from devon to look at a puppy..
    then drove back the next month to collect the **** thing

tlr

Ironically I’m contemplating driving from Sheffield to Peterborough for a 1980s road bike.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Glasgow to Preston to see what size rock lobster fitted. I had it for 7 yrs though 🙂

I sold my 5 on here in response to a wanted, to a buyer in London, using PayPal. Lots of pics, some mails, a couple of phonecalls and both happy with the deal.

robhughes

Wirral to Nottingham for a bargain 2012 five frame off here.
    Just got it back today from orange after a repaint so it,s definitely been on it’s travels. 😀

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Many years ago, I drove from Lancaster down to London and back in a day to pick up two brand new, boxed bikes from a sponsor. I was knackered for 2 days afterwards, that amount of driving (in the shit car I had back then) was horrendous.

Jamie

Just for an update. After a bit of negotiating, it looks like we are going to meet up half way on Saturday.

A few of us down here in Worthing could check it for you, might know the seller! That’s a long way for a bike, I’ve driven further for rare VW parts though..

I have faith in the bike/seller…mostly just being over-cautious. Thanks for the offer, though.

Ironically I’m contemplating driving from Sheffield to Peterborough for a 1980s road bike.

I thought I was the only person in P’boro with a bike? 😡

Jamie

Edit: Ended up driving to worthing and back. With traffic jams and the torrential weather/flooding etc, it was about 6.5hrs of driving.

Premier Icon StefMcDef
    Subscriber

All the way from Lymington to deepest, darkest Dartmoor.

Made a weekend of it – it was great.

_tom_

60 miles each way to Cannock and back. Then I ended up selling the frame a couple of months later. I’ll only pick somethng up if I can find something worth riding nearby otherwise it seems like a waste of time and petrol.

Jamie

I’ll only pick somethng up if I can find something worth riding nearby otherwise it seems like a waste of

It’s why I got a CX bike, Tom.

Similar terrain to you, i.e non, so I reckon a CX is ideal for road/gnar bridleway action.

boblo

But did you get the boik? And Jamie, you know you’re not the only one round ‘ere with a boik. Tsssk.

If it helps, I drove to Bridgwater from Pbog for a tandem, Pbog to Choke on Stench for another tandem and Pbog to Ludlow for my road bike so….lots of driving 🙂

<edit> oh cx bike you say? I have one of those for sale, just £650. Top end stuff and everything you know…. 🙂

Jamie

Tell me more…. 😡

boblo

Just winding you up. Calm down dear. 🙂

So what did you get for the Mighty Green Wheel?

Jamie

Just winding you up. Calm down dear.

I know, I know. I use that emoticon for mock anger.

Anyway, it’s a Boardman CX. Just built it back up this morning, but wondering if I should pop to a LBS tomorrow to get the stem torqued up properly*. As it’s the first time I have had a carbon steerer, so my ham fisted tightening efforts may not be appreciated.

😡

*I ain’t got a torque wrench.

twohats

I drove from Gothenburg, Sweden to Leeds to pick up my Langster! To be fair, the trip was work related though.

boblo

They’re usually about 5nm. Ritchey do a little torque key that clicks at that. Terry’s (Paul’s?) in Deeping had some last time I was in there. Be about the same cost as the LBS doing it. BTW, who do you use locally?

Jamie

Ritchey do a little torque key that clicks at that

Hmm. Might pick one up….will probably still take the bike down there as well, just to give the once over.

BTW, who do you use locally?

For anything I cannot do, which is usually stuff that requires expensive tools/wheels, I use Terry Wrights.

…saying that, the when I just wanted a spoke replacing on a road wheel, I went to this guy:

http://www.cyclesurgery-peterborough.com/

Didn’t know until I got there, but turns out he is deaf and blind. Made a lovely job of it.

boblo

If I can’t do it myself, I use Bristows. Been going there since they opened (1980).

Jamie

If I can’t do it myself, I use Bristows. Been going there since they opened (1980).

My issues with Bristows, and it’s more my problem than theirs, is they are always booked up 2 weeks or so in advance. So if you need something doing in a couple of days, or want something quickly checked, then you’re out of luck.

For example, if I went down there tomorrow and asked them if they could check the Boardman’s headset/tighten stem with a torque sometime today, they would require me to book it in. Which is fair enough, but a pain to wait 1-2 weeks for a 5 min job.*

*Again, like I say, it’s not their fault for being busy, and I am aware if they did this all the time they wouldn’t get to the booked in jobs, but just means I have to go elsewhere. Which is a shame, as they are nearest to me.

200+ miles on the M6 last friday, setting off at rush hour…5 hours total including collection, so could have been much worse.

Immaculate (used twice) Cannondale Trail SL1 (to be Ms Shackleford’s first bike) paid around 1/2 the retail price so well worth the trip.

_tom_

It’s why I got a CX bike, Tom.

Similar terrain to you, i.e non, so I reckon a CX is ideal for road/gnar bridleway action.

I considered it but then thought it’d probably just be the worst of both worlds. Plus I’d rather just be riding faster on the roads next to the fields I’d be riding through. Northamptonshire bridleways are guff for riding.

Jamie

I was a little bit worried that might be the case, and is why I went second hand. So if it doesn’t work out, then I can sell the bike on and not lose too much/any cash.

Premier Icon transporter13
    Subscriber

Kettering to barrow in Furness and back in one day.

Purely as it was listed on the bay and was properly silly cheap.

boblo

Confused? 🙂

Premier Icon mcnultycop
    Subscriber

I’ve not had to move from the laptop for my last 2 bikes.

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

At Easter we met a chap near Bristol to pick up my lads Spesh Hardrock. We were down that way for the weekend anyway.
    A chap off here drove a fair distance to pick up my Cougar road bike. Hope your enjoying it mate, as I really miss it. 🙁

Sold a memory foam mattress to a chap off here, who drove up from Bristol way. Met just off the M5, at a McDonald’s by the West Brom ground. We had a few strange looks…

Sold a Sofa once, for £60 on EBay. Chap sent a man-with-a-van chap up from Kent to Staffs to collect.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Furthest you have travelled to buy a bike?’ is closed to new replies.