Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Further Land Rover recycling at the Hoose of Moont
  • nostrils
    Free Member

I changed the green banded pipe for him which as you say was easy enough, the hardest part was cutting the carpet with a blunt stanley knife. Green pipe turned out to be fine and its actually one of the other ones. For some reason he has also removed the fuel pump from the tank and it now lives in a bucket in his garden?! Not sure what was wrong with it but its certainly no good now. Old people eh?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Kevin could probably supply you with a used fuel pump. There is a procedure for self purging the fuel system of air. Maybe your dad is unaware of it

mcmoonter
    Free Member
    madmechanist
    Free Member

Put the pump in some diesel and power it(run longer wires to the pump to prevent shorting near the fuel…or it could explode..and use diesel it will be contaminated if waters used..)with the output to another bucket…if it moves lots it’s good, if its really slow its shot…

And the fuel pipe is possibly blocked…some compressed air may fix that..

If there is any doubts replace the pump and pipes and fuel filter and purge the system at the high pressure pump( a hand primer and some stamina should be enough) until solid fuel is present at the high pressure pump ..then try to start(if needed some light brake cleaner can help but little amounts as it can backfire badly..

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The hose arrived in the post

View this post on Instagram

Feel good factor?

A post shared by Peter McLaren (@mcmoonter) on

trumpton
    Free Member

good work. Bet it feels good now.

senorj

Nice one.

db

Hits the Like button!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

View this post on Instagram

Back to work

A post shared by Peter McLaren (@mcmoonter) on

trumpton
    Free Member

that’s some quick turn around.

midlifecrashes

Top work

mcmoonter
    Free Member

It towed a couple of tonnes of gravel with ease.

It was well worth the graft, probably about a week if I added up all the time. I’m not so sure a garage would tap and chase every thread and clean everything before refitting it, but as it will be me who will revisit my handiwork, I think it was time well spent.

I bought it as a workhorse and it fulfils it’s job description well. With the new chassis it should see a several years more service.

jamj1974

Great stuff!

boblo
    Free Member

1hr 38m of welding rust. Shheeshhh, what a pile of poo 🙄

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I had a look at the video, even the roof supports were rusty. That was really a candidate for a rust free body shell. The cost of finding one even from abroad would still have been worth while compared to the weld fest.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Further Land Rover recycling at the Hoose of Moont’ is closed to new replies.