Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Furniture for a big room with small access??
  • LMT
    Free Member

Recently got our house and ordered 2 sofa’s the plan was one in the front room and one in the middle room. When they arrived the delivery driver laughed you didn’t measure did you? well no as we riskily ordered before moving in. Now we have 2 sofa’s in the back room as the only way in was through the patio doors.

Basically our front door is normal width but with a tight corridor and the front room leads off from it, in the room is not an issue as its quite big but currently with the exception of a book case and one of my bikes and bean bags its empty which is a pity as we decorated and the room has loads of light so its a nice room to use.

I thought of going ikea and build myself but blimey uncomfortable sofa’s are not what we want, any other suggestions? or places that do flat pack. Before someone says take the window out, that’s not currently an option need some work doing on the bay before we consider that.

breadcrumb

Don’t suppose it has a big window you could temporarily removed to fit the sofa in?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Our manual recliner sofa was apparently delivered in modular pieces while I was at work ~10 years ago, carried upstairs to our lounge and then assembled by the sofa company.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Window oot.

monkeychild
    Free Member

[quoteWindow oot[/quote]

This. Been there with our first house. Was not happy lol

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Bay windows?
    Means sash windows?
    Any decent chippie will have them in and out within the hour. It’ll take you longer to faff around and argue where you want it.
    Double glazing may also be as quick.

xora

How did the furniture you saw in front room get out?

Delivery drivers are notorious for being terrible at getting sofas in/out of rooms!

nedrapier

Look at sofa.com. A lot of them come slightly broken down for a little final assembly in the room. Very comfy too.

Failing that, beanbags.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

We were given a Tetrad Grande and its mahoosive. Splits in half wth a few wingnut screws and managed to get it up a tight hallway and 90 degrees thru doorway.

trail_rat
    Free Member

many sofas can be split into pieces by proper sofa delivery people – you would be amazed where they can get things – i was. I was convinced my 3 seater was going to be a window out job and i to this day do not know how it will come out ……

Guess it depends where you bought from and if its just a box shifter delivery man or a furniture guy.

How ever i did look at one unfurnished rental where the previous tennent said “we will leave you the sofa” im like err what ? she said because we had to take the cover off it and cut it in half to get it in here…….

ooooooh right …… yeah i dont think ill bother with this house.

T1000
    Free Member

Remove some of the fabric from underneath and have a look, it’s likely that it will be in bolt together sections

Almost certainly you should be able to Remove the arms and legs

If you get an industrial staple gun they normally come with a staple remover which you can use on the fabric underneath

tillydog
    Free Member

mogrim

I thought of going ikea and build myself but blimey uncomfortable sofa’s are not what we want, any other suggestions?

Ikea has loads of different sofas, and I slept many a happy hour’s siesta on mine. Still, I’d try and take apart the one you’ve already bought first…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Definitely have a look underneath. Moved a sofa for a mate years ago (massive leather thing, weighed far too much for two of us. So we flipped it over, took the cover off the bottom and found out that it was in 5 sections and that the “fixed” cushions were held on with straps/clips inside the sofa…… took us longer to find the right size spanner (funny square nuts) than it did to actually dismantle it.

Took ages to put it back together though. 😕

mattbee

Lots of recliners split into sections. Ours certainly came apart from 3 seater into bits that fit in the back of a Focus (not all st once!)

senorj

Windows out.
    Oh how we laughed ,when during the last move ,we had to cut part of a hedge down , in the rain , to get the sofa in the house. ho bloody ho.

breadcrumb

We were told by the previous owners that we’d have to bring our sofa in through the kitchen window (opens up fully) as they couldn’t get any sofas through the exterior door.
    As it turns out they just weren’t trying hard enough 😈

squirrelking
    Free Member

Again, there are amazing things you can do when you put your mind to it (a healthy dose of spatial awareness helps). We got our present sofa in, somehow. Not sure what manner of contortions were needed but it did get in after a struggle. What I do know is that it will be coming out in bits if the hall door isn’t any wider.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Or they hadn’t got enough tetris practice in.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Don’t suppose you’d be interested in buying a piano?

No?

Never mind 😉

Torminalis
    Free Member

I was shopping for an el cheapo sofa once and I went to visit a couple who were selling one. On inspection, it turned out to be in their garage and was getting a bit mouldy so I passed it up. She complained that she had bought it on finance from DFS, they still had 2 years to pay off and they hadn’t even managed to get it in the house.

It turns out with a brief inspection, the sofa was made of two bits bolted together and would have easily fit into their house. They didn’t look happy.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Furniture for a big room with small access??’ is closed to new replies.