Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Furniture Fans – Eames Lounge Chair…
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of buying one of these for as long as I can remember and have priced up shipping a Herman Miller original from the states and the European Vitra version. Either of which would be around £4k.

Having just bought a new house, I’ve got the itch again, but some of the reproductions like the Milan Direct version are so accurate, is it worth taking a punt on one and saving a few grand?

I know they’re not 100%, and it would probably bug me that it wasn’t the real deal, but has anyone who has any knowledge of these chairs seen one up close? How good are they? Any other recommendations?

Ta…

Amos
    Free Member

No help to you but my father in law gave us his Eames chair, my Mrs then fessed up and told me he had a matching one but she left it in her room when she left Uni in Leeds not realising the value of it!!!! Bless her 😐

hunterst
    Free Member

I’ve also wanted one of these for years – but again always felt it had to be an original.

Have been looking at them again recently and the Milan Direct versions are very nice.

Watching this thread with interest.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

The 800 quid version looks really nice – removable pads etc – but it’s a polished base rather than black. The £399 version has a black base but I can’t imagine it being particularly good quality at that price…

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’d love one but could never justify such a purchase when there are so many bikes out there to buy.

Always felt personally that buying a fake of a design classic misses the point somewhat.

bedmaker

That’s lovely. You’d be mad to spend 4k on a ‘real’ one when you can get that for £800 (which is still a fortune for a chair really)

oddjob
    Free Member

Get a real one or don’t bother IME

cynic-al
    Free Member

it would probably bug me that it wasn’t the real deal

I’d say this is the bottom line, it’s not a rational decision.

donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t think I’d be happy knowing that I’d bought a replica, it’s like artwork, isn’t it? I’d rather have a cheaper original than a copy of a masterpiece.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

This is the most accurate ‘looking’ replica I’ve seen so far, the feet are the right size and the base proportions look spot on. Shame you can’t view any of these as they’re all online sellers…

london_lady
    Free Member

whatever you do dont look at nest.co.uk – there is a Adelta ball chair and a Vitra shelf/bookcase with my name on it – just got to justify the purchase to myself and then find the funds!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Milan Direct do some very reasonable replicas of the Eero Aarnio ball chairs ;o)

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Theselook particularly good, the upholstery looks far more like HM/Vitra version…

vinnyeh

Wife bought the Eames ‘Hang It All’ coat hanger. Cheaper than a chair, but really…

tails
    Free Member

Tuff decision as that is a good saving but remember if you change your mind it will have little/less resale value being a fake. The original may actually go up in price. Buying from the internet you could send it back under distance selling regs?

If you’re near London the Aram store near Covent Garden will most likely have one as should Vitra in Clerkenwell. Chaplins out west and 2021 near Angel station might also.

The original can be rather bizarrely flat packed, £800 is a lot anyway so it is worth checking.

Personally I would be buying a Castiglioni arco lamp, Yanghi butterfly stool as it’s only going up in price now he has died. You could buy a fair few nice pieces for £4k, although if you have loved it for a long time perhaps drop the cash.

This place has cool original stuff http://www.twocolumbiaroad.co.uk/ and the design museum will 100% have an original Eames as will the V and A.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m not sure the modern Vitra/HM one would go up in price due to its recent popularity, and the fact that they’re waaaay overpriced on account of the heritage.

Early originals command a premium due to the fact that they were a rather scarce, esoteric piece and the cost kept them rather exclusive.

Been reading up about the Iconic version and comparing photos – it looks as close as I’ve seen. All the usual give-aways seem to have been addressed and the quality looks excellent.

And at a quarter of the price, I’m thinking it might be worth a punt. The remaining £3k could be better spent elsewhere…

jp-t853

I’ve seen the replica barcelona chairs and I don’t believe it is real leather, where the piping splits it is clearly vinyl. I would buy with credit card to be safe.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

There are hundreds of different manufactures JP, particularly the Barcelona chair – even Next were selling them recently. A friend has a pair of chairs and a day bed that are really good quality, they were cheap as chips.

The place in Hull provides leather swatches, so I might request some and see what they’re like…

jp-t853

The barcelona chairs I have seen all come from the various ‘Italian Direct’ companies that have been on the go over the years. There were quite a few with slightly different names (appeared to be the same company in most cases) selling the same products for different prices none showing a company registration number on the website, it is a shady area.

tails
    Free Member

You need to see them both before spending money as I feel your convincing yourself the fake will be like for like. My friend bought a fake Bertoia chair, when he latter bought a real one the differences where everywhere from proportions, finishing, weight, welding.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

No-one’s mentioned the comfort of these chairs… I’m not sure if it was a fake one or an original one, but I sat in one once, and found it really uncomfortable. It didn’t have any lower back support. Just a thought.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Originals seem massively overpriced. Look at the fakes in person if you can (there are various places that have them in London at least) or get leather swatches if you can online.

The designer copies are really good value bits of furniture these days – they’re better constructed than a lot of ‘non-designer fake’ chairs so look at them on their own merits.

I’ve got a fake from about 6 years ago and it’s held up fine. It’s a good looking, comfortable, chair even if some of the details aren’t completely accurate. They seem to have dropped in price/improved in quality since then – the copies used to come from Italy whereas it’s now coming in from China.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I think that’s a good point Simon, compared to high street furniture, the quality of the reproductions I’ve seen has been brilliant.

The biggest difference tends to be proportions, but the Iconic Interiors one is made to the exact same proportions, so it looks “just right”.

I think I’ll try and arrange to view one… Any pics of yours?

juanking

conform.se/Products/Viewprodukts/tabid/93/ProdID/124/Language/en-US/CatID/11/Timeout.aspx

I too have been looking at these. The link above is by far the best eames ‘inspired’ chair. I have sat on them and for me I was very impressed with the quality and finish. They have adjustable headrests and are also reclining. They were only recently removed from the UK market as the foam stuffing did not comply to some EU standard. I know this as I have been trying to find someone in the UK who has them in stock but had no luck. If I could find a stockist I would order one instantly.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Not really what I’m looking for Juan, it’s got to be the 670/671 Lounge Chair and Ottoman…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Would you be satisfied with a copy? For you is it about owning something that looks like the 670/671 or actually owning the 670/671?

As someone mentioned above owning this type of furniture is akin to owning artwork, it’s no longer about the practicality of the object as a functional chair and more about how ownership makes you feel. If it were me I wouldn’t be content with the copy, it wouldn’t hold the same place in my heart that an original would. And by that measure owning it would always be unsatisfactory. If it came down to money then I would rather not own one than own a copy, not because the copy would necessarily be inferior (could feasibly be the opposite) but because the copy wouldn’t scratch the itch, I would still want the original.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I agree MuppetWrangler… But up to a point. 😉

3 grand saving would perhaps allow me to swallow my principals. And the aesthete in me covets the “design”, not the manufacturer’s label.

The problem with some of the reproductions I’ve seen is that the proportions are all wrong – they remind me of those MR2 Ferrari 355 replicas. They look right to the untrained eye, but anyone that has been looking at the 670/671 for over 20 years like I have can spot it instantly.

I think I’m going to see if I can arrange to view the Iconic Interiors one…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

And the aesthete in me covets the “design”, not the manufacturer’s label.

[flippant] In that case I have a very nice Rolex I could sell you for a good price. [/flippant] 😆

It is the Herman Miller/Vitra label that guarantees the aesthetic. It is a direct traceable link back to the original that says that this item has been put together using the processes, dimensions and materials approved by the designer. It doesn’t mark it out as the most comfortable chair or even the best built chair but it does mark it out as most faithful 670/671 currently available as new.

I am labouring the point a little and it’s not my intention to start an argument on the ethics of original / reproduction furniture but either way you go it is still a lot of money and if it were me i would want to be sure in my own mind that I had made the decision that was right for me.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I see your point, but I think there’s a big difference between furniture and watches. Furniture designers often use several different manufacturers so it’s not unusual for the same piece to be made in different factories.

The 670/671 is a case in point – Vitra are the officially licenced manufacturers in Europe, charging the same premium as Herman Miller, but they ain’t Herman Miller!

Even a modern Herman Miller is not identical to the version the Eameses developed with them in the 1950s… 7-ply shells, plastic spacers, modern fillings etc.

If I was a Herman Miller enthusiast, then it would have to be an authentic US built Herman Miller chair. But I’m a fan of the Eamses and their design…

I think you’ve helped me talk myself out of an original! Thanks!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I think you’ve helped me talk myself out of an original! Thanks!

My work here is done. Enjoy your new chair.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Even a modern Herman Miller is not identical to the version the Eameses developed with them in the 1950s… 7-ply shells, plastic spacers, modern fillings etc.

Absolutely. If you look at the current Vitra vs HM versions the feed/glides are quite different. There are originals for sale with down and feather stuffing whilst some of the guides to finding a genuine one specify the the stuffing should be foam

When it comes to having the exact proportions it’s worth noting that Vitra now make a large version to accomodate modern human frames. The chair *is* small for me (but I’m 194cm so all chairs are). The one thing that would tempt me to an original one day (in my dreams) is sizing.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m a shade under 6’1″, so don’t find the standard too small, but I had seen the large version. Again, it’s a step further away from Charles & Ray’s original design, the purists must up in arms…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Seems to be an entirely middle-class thread this one.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I have 2 of these

They are Herman Miller, Eames chairs. Does anyone know if they are worth anything?

Jerome
    Free Member

I bought a milan direct one for c. £400 new.
    Came from a groupon deal
    Very happy with it.

brakes
    Free Member

I bought a replica Eames DSW chair from eBay for £40 rather than an ‘original’ for £400. I daren’t sit in it as the legs flex like mad when I sit in it. Looks cool though.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Zedsdead, they’re Softpad Executive chairs by Eames. Let me know if you want to part with them.

iDave
    Free Member

“it’s no longer about the practicality of the object as a functional chair and more about how ownership makes you feel.”

Quite vacant I’d suggest…..

mcboo
    Free Member

Is there such a thing as an “original” Eames chair? The patent has expired I think, anyone can make them no? Anyone can claim they are the authentic manufacturer and slap a big ticket on it.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

mcboo – Member

Is there such a thing as an “original” Eames chair?

They were working for Herman Miller when they designed it, so it could be argued that the HM chair is original, but even that has “evolved” over the years…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Furniture Fans – Eames Lounge Chair…’ is closed to new replies.