Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 229 total)
  • Furloughed
  • Poopscoop

Small question for my son here guys.

Should he get the 80% pay on his normal payday?

Dickyboy

Pretty much, I got 50% normal pay & 50% furlough pay, as I was furloughed for half of the pay period.
    Now back at work with a shed load of work to catch up on for now..

jam-bo

I understood that three weeks was the minimum furlough period. If you aren’t off for three weeks, the employer can’t claim for it.

Day 2 for me. Not sure how I fitted work in to be honest…

colp

Should he get the 80% pay on his normal payday?

If he’s on a regular wage then 80% of that on usual payday
    If he’s on variable wage 80% of the financial year average up until the day he was furloughed.
    I paid my staff on Friday and it worked out ok for all except for 1 lady whose hours built up over the year. I spoke to HMRC and they agreed that an average of the last 6 months would be a fair way to calculate it but unfortunately I had to stick to the guidance.

Trimix
    Free Member

That assumes the business paid the pay on that day. They may have to pay the pay when they have the money in to pay it. They could be broke, out of cash. A lot of businesses dont have money in the bank to cover bills if there are no sales coming in.

Some businesses can afford to payout before the money comes in from the government, others won’t be able to. They may not have a helpful bank to cover them in the short term either. Banks dont move fast.

Poopscoop

As always, thanks for the info guys.

He should get paid this Friday so fingers crossed.

Not sure there will be a company left for him to go back to after all this but I hope I’m wrong.

project
    Free Member

BA have just announced 12,000 redundancies and Airbus have put 4,000 on furlough in the uk.

Sandwich

@Trimix The scheme allows for payroll to be submitted in advance of payday allowing the money to be in the bank on the right day for the employee. IT does mean the employer may have to run payroll earlier than normal.

dantsw13

Yep. Found out on the TV news that BA are to make 12000 staff redundant.

dantsw13

They refused to put pilots on the furlough scheme as we might be needed. So we are on half pay for 2 months instead, now on notice of redundancy.

Daffy

Surely the furlough scheme barely touches a pilots salary? A Long Haul BA Captain is on what? £165k/y £13.5k per month? Even a co-pilot is what…£70k? Then + hourly duty rate at £13/h?

dantsw13

I wish! Stop reading the daily mail.

dantsw13

Year one pilot, having paid their own training loan of over £100,000 starts on £26000.

BA furloughed staff on 80% of all salary. Some old contract staff members will be on plenty more than £2500/month.

Pilots were considered too in need for furlough but are working on half pay for Apr/May.

mehr
    Free Member

I’ve got to the bottom of why my pay is short, they’re calculating weekly wage/80% x 52 weeks – Holiday pay

Is that a requirement or have they just thrown their own spin on it? I know its “free” money but the extra 8% taken is enough to make a difference

Kryton57

The rules state you are allowed to keep your holiday entitlement and don’t have to take annual leave during the period of Furlough.  They can’t enforce that upon you.  My wife’s company tried to pro rata holiday entitlement this week and backed down after many complaints…

https://www.xperthr.co.uk/faq/can-an-employee-take-annual-leave-while-on-furlough-leave/165128/

ambientcoast
    Free Member

On a related note, we’re running a survey at work to track people’s experiences of being furloughed (we’re a people/HR comms business). If you have a spare 5 minutes (ha!) this morning, it would be really useful if you were able to tell us how it’s going for you.

It’s all anonymous, and there’s also a prize draw too.

Survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/S5NQ6FC

Thanks!

bentandbroken

@ambientcoast Can you give more details on who your company is and what the prize(s) is/are?

I don’t want to just send the link to furloughed colleagues without knowing a bit more about it. Thanks

mehr
    Free Member

@kryton they’ve just struck the holiday pay of the total furlough for e.g 28 days x day rate then/52 then take that figure off the 80%

On going back to work Redrow are opening there sites from the 18th no word yet if we’ll be going back as my firm pulled everyone off site before the sites even closed down

ambientcoast
    Free Member

@bentandbroken Sure – there’s bit more info at the survey link, but we’re at welovechatter.com

In a nutshell we help businesses communicate with their people, and we’re doing quite a bit of research around the whole coronavirus/furlough situation at the minute because it really is uncharted territory for pretty much everyone. No-one has ever been through this before, but we’re hearing lots of anecdotes around good/bad experiences from people who are furloughed, so we’re just trying to galvanise these into something tangible.

As for the prize, I have no idea as I’m not managing it. I’ll check and come back. Hold tight. :o)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Currently several oilfield service companies are laying off and refusing to furlough.

Stating that “this is for economic reasons not covid 19”

No shit. Economic reasons brought on by covid 19.

Dick move and the fact that employees have gone to the press with it in the case of big red I have zero sympathy for the companies.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

@bentandbroken I should probably add that this is part of a wider CSR type project where we’re taking the lead in establishing a working group for our clients and for the people/HR sector as a whole with a view to trying to figure out a playbook for businesses and organisations to better deal with this kind of thing now, and in the future.

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Ok, apologies for spamming the thread… this is my last one – promise! :o)

There’s some really good stuff written out over the 4 or 5 pages here about people’s furlough experiences, and it would be great to get this lot into a more usable format so we can dig into the data properly.

I’ve checked and the prize for the draw is a £50 Amazon voucher, and we could do with as many responses as poss before Friday.

The survey is here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/S5NQ6FC

Please share with any colleagues who are also furloughed too, if you’re comfortable with that.

Thanks all.

kilo

a view to trying to figure out a playbook for businesses and organisations to better deal with this kind of thing now, and in the future.

Seems a bit of an odd aspect to focus on, the likelihood of another furlough scheme occurring would seem very low (imho) as pandemics are rare and the economy’s going to be down the pan after this one so there’ll be no one to furlough and no money to do it.
    Far more interesting / useful /.playbookable how companies who aren’t furloughing but adapting are getting on (ianhr but Mrs kilo is the hr director in a non furloughed wfh company)

ambientcoast
    Free Member

Seems a bit of an odd aspect to focus on

In isolation, yeah, I’m with you. But this is just a fraction of what’s going on. There’s a whole bunch of research and other work happening. This survey is just about furlough and people’s experiences of it. The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme won’t end until the 30th June and may well be extended beyond that, so even in the current situation there’s still lots of scope for organisations to improve these furlough experiences however they can. And if there ever is another similar situation – even if it’s just a second wave of infections later in the year that shut the country down and send employees home again – then businesses might be a little more ready than they were two months ago in terms of managing that employee experience.

There are also conversations about whether working from home will become more prevalent in the future, about making more effective use of tech in the workplace, about work related travel… all springing out of this. The list is huge, and it’s all new ground. To almost everyone.

However, the overarching purpose to all this (at least for us and our field of expertise) is people comms, and the relationship between employee and employer… and how we can help organisations be better at it.

mlltt

Do you still acquire annual leave whilst on furlough?

FB-ATB

Do you still acquire annual leave whilst on furlough

Yes, you are still employed, being furloughed means the co gets money from the govt. You aren’t being paid furlough by the govt, your employer should still be paying you.

As mentioned above, the govt has allowed that people should be allowed to carry over holiday for longer, but the company has to agree to it.

Daffy

@dantsw13 – I got my information from an HR manager at BA – It was an average and is comparable to other airlines.

Basic starting salary for a Captain is £70k and admittedly for a just a pilot, it’s lower, but £26 is lower than any figure I’ve ever seen. My friend started at Easyjet with no jet experience on £42k and that was 6 years ago. He’s now on £66k.

Additional information is available at the FT:

https://www.ft.com/content/dccfd6d6-d3e1-11e9-8367-807ebd53ab77

zyfy
    Free Member

im special in the fact that i thought i was furloughed but actually im not, ive been laid off but my position is still current(i think) i started at the turn of the month 2/3/20 and my rti wasnt processed till after the 18th of march so i dont get paid. i feel pretty crap about this tbh. i only worked for a small £700mill a year company. time for a new direction i think

Pz_Steve

Copied from wrong thread:

As with many employers currently, my wife’s employer is going to have to furlough some of its staff. However, the situation is complicated by the nature of the work that some of her colleagues do and their contractual situation.

Employee A has two very separate roles at the organisation (separate contracts, different rates of pay, different continuous service dates, etc.). There is no work available for one of these roles, but the other has plenty of work to do. Can a single employer furlough an employee from one job but continue to employ them in the other? (The guidance says an employee cannot to any work or provide services for the employer when furloughed, but nothing explicitly says that this situation would be the same).

Employee B only has one job on the payroll with their employer. However, they also provide (very different) services for which they invoice, as a sole trader. Can they be furloughed from their PAYE role and continue to invoice for for their sole trader work? I don’t know whether the “… or provide services…” precludes them from doing this.

Anyone know what the employer can do in each case? And can you point me to some written guidance that I can pass on (rather than relying on “someone from Singletrack said…”)?

Thanks all! Stay safe.

Kryton57

Well thats that – Mrs K is furloughed from next Monday.  They are topping up her salty to 95% (there was a cpiorate 5% cut a few weeks ago) though so thats a small bonus.

However, they’ve said they’ll pro rate peoples leave e.g. if you come back 1 July your entitlement is 6 months, not what you’ve accrued during Furlough or the first half of the year which is not what Gov.UK states, so when she gets her formal letter, she’ll be replying with a link to the Gov.Uk article in it.   When she queried the HR lady she replied with “well we are topping up your salary so a little reciprocation isn’t unfair is it?”

Kryton57

Well good news for some:

a) Furlough extended to October

b) 80% pay remains

c) Employers will be allowed to gradually re-ntroduce people back as part time workers with reducing Furlough payments as a top up.

stumpyjon

Must admit I was pretty surprised to hear this today, maybe, just maybe they’ve actually got something right, god knows where the money is coming from but still probably cheaper than the scheme ending June on a cliff edge with mass redundancies to follow causing a massive shock to economy costing even more in the long run.

scotroutes

When she queried the HR lady she replied with “well we are topping up your salary so a little reciprocation isn’t unfair is it?”

Seems reasonable enough to me.

50,000 dead.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Must admit I was pretty surprised to hear this today, maybe, just maybe they’ve actually got something right, god knows where the money is coming from

Agree 100%. This is unexpectedly generous and surprisingly reasonable. I expected there to be at least a drop in the %age.

As for where the cash is coming from…

Kryton57

the money is coming from

Taxes.   Wait til the April 2021 Budget is announced, it’ll be painful…

Seems reasonable enough to me.

Only because you clearly don’t understand the machinations or cost of looking after young children, or perhaps you expect me to kick them outside to fend for themselves whilst we’re at work.

jam-bo

Interesting. Currently furloughed along with half the dept. I can see the whole dept being furloughed part time being a much more effective solution.

Kryton57

Interesting. Currently furloughed along with half the dept. I can see the whole dept being furloughed part time being a much more effective solution.

Indeed. My wife works 3 days a week so I’m expecting – pending the detail – that in July she be asked back 1-2 Days with the Furlough supplementing the remainder where there’s not enough work until it becomes enough for the full 3 days.  If it truly works this way it’s quite effective, and in our case likely stops her being made redundant as would have been on a “cliff edge” scenario.

scotroutes

Only because you clearly don’t understand the machinations or cost of looking after young children

Really? You’re not the first parent in the world 🙂

Practically though – imagine the furlough scheme runs through to the end of September. Do you expect everybody to get all of their accrued holiday allowance to use in the three months before the end of the year?

jam-bo

At present, I’m still accruing leave. I have taken one day this year so far and had two weeks cancelled.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Good news. Means my company (events industry) might survive. If we’d have been kicked off Furlough in June with an empty order book until public gatherings are allowed again we’d have been dead in minutes.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 229 total)

The topic ‘Furloughed’ is closed to new replies.