• This topic has 41 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Fundsmith advice for newbie
  • EhWhoMe

Hi
    Fundsmith seems popular on here and the returns do seem hard to believe .
    So would the well informed and experienced on here still say its a good place for money with it being at a high
    I have S&S ISA with H&L but want to try others.
    Also how is best to open a fundsmith fund..via H&L or direct…any links or help appreciated…

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve been with then a while and the returns have been great. I’ve bought a few other things to keep my savings spread but fundsmith always does the best. Obviously past performance is no indication and all that but I’ve just bought some more. I believe little and often is the smart way to ride any dips. I’ve got some direct and some in HL in a pension. Both were very easy to set up (almost too easy given the sums we are talking).

leegee

It’s a long term investment, don’t worry about the day to day. I did at first but once I built up a bit of equity on my first investment I never looked back.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    EhWhoMe

Thanks..can i ask also looking here , pressume its the legit site but seems bit basic
    https://www.fundsmith.co.uk/

I guess i could go for another Isa as ive not contributed this year to the H&L one but are the no Isa and Isa options in the link the same stocks and funds, just under a different rapper…guess the isa would be more efficient in interest tax if the fund is identical.

Also in the drop down menu it says Acc or Inc
    ..no idea what that means
    Help appreciated

EhWhoMe

Lindsell Train also appear similar in fund strategy,all be it Uk rather than Fundsmiths Usa and are backed by Hargreaves on the wealth 50 list where Fundsmith isnt..
    Although Hargreaves backed Neil Woodford so may not be the best guide.

irc

Yes, it’s the same fund for ISA and non ISA version’s. No reason not to go ISA if this year’s allowance isn’t used up I went direct. Very simple to deal with. Easy to get through on phone if you need advice ‘re what forms etc. Easy withdrawals. I’ve been in since early 2010. By far the best of a few investments.

mariner
    Free Member

Also look at SmithSon SSON.
    Another fund just started up by FS.

TomB

I’ve gone direct through their website for all our buying with no hassle.

nickjb
    Free Member

To answer the above, that’s the website. It is basic but they only have a few funds. ACC is accumulation, so any winnings get reinvested, INC pays you in cash. For a long term investment might as well go all in with ACC. Go for the ISA if you have allowance. In reality it makes little difference as you probably won’t go over the limits but you might as well in case things change.

pjm84
    Free Member

My Fundsmith Equity up 84.17% since 2015. My LT up 91.4%

My LF Woodford down -24.19%

EhWhoMe

Blimey pjm84..so would that mean 10k in 2015 is now £18,400 or am i missing something

Is the smithson sson on fundsmiths site link above

pjm84
    Free Member

Hmmm starting typing a response and a dodgy warning page popped up (STW?)

Sadly I didn’t put 10k in there but spread my Hargreaves SIPS across 39 different funds including Mr Woodfood’s.

nickjb
    Free Member

Blimey pjm84..so would that mean 10k in 2015 is now £18,400 or am i missing something

Nope, not missing anything (other that failing to put 10k in 4 years ago). The performance of some of these funds has been great, others less so. Who knows what will happen in the next 4 years. But I think it’s still worth buying, especially for long term investment

EhWhoMe

Well it certainly makes my hargreaves isa look poor as its only up 5% since early 2017

Wish id not worked out how much i would of had if id transfered to fundsmith instead😭
    Just seems to good to be true

surfer
    Free Member

I invested in Fundsmith when it opened, albeit only a relatively small amount. I have increased my holdings ever since and the returns have been exceptional. Of course they could could fall as well and that is the same with any fund or investment. I invested with him as I like his approach. “bet on companies that have already won and hold on to them” and the average age of his companies is around 100 yrs so the rationale being they have gone through a significant amount of market and economic turbulence and still managed to remain profitable/in existence! “dont invest in things you dont understand” and “dont try to predict” as it is impossible to do. He charges fees and has gotten rich off the fund (he was already rich) so I am no particular fanboi however my SIPP and ISA have a lot to thank him for.

mike_p
    Free Member

I’ve been in FS for years and it’s by far my biggest fund holding. Folk often warn that the manager has only ever run money in a favourable market, but that’s actually not true – he ran the TP pension scheme along similar lines prior to FS and achieved comparable results. Personally I don’t think FS is particularly risky; valuations may be considered a bit toppy atm, and that may lead to a period of underperformance because the gains it’s made over the past few years may not be sustainable in the long term, but one could argue that there should be a premium for quality. The holdings earn 20%+ ROCE, which is exceptional.

You MUST do your own research though, it’s important to read about what the funds are in to, what the strategy is, etc. e.g. the folk who are now getting burned by Woodford had been warned of the risks for years, but were either ignorant or blind.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Rule 1: Don’t choose a fund based on past performance.

That said I did buy into Fundsmith >1yr ago as I liked the philosophy / strategy (buy quality – hold for the long term) and its my best performing fund to date (in a broadly flat market).

As always, do your own research, and don’t put all your eggs in one basket (diversify). You’ll thank yourself if the curse of Woodford befalls a fund you’ve gone “all in” on.

footflaps

Can’t remember where but on the subject of the Woodford debacle they were referencing a study on fund managers which found that it you took the top 5% in a 5 year window, only 8% managed to stay in the top 5% over the next 5 years…

leegee

Is the smithson sson on fundsmiths site link above

smithson

I got in at the beginning of this and it’s doing well so far, I’m keeping an eye on it though.

joeegg
    Free Member

For Fundsmith go direct. You will pay more commission through H&L.

duckers
    Free Member

Here’s what I like about FS – Terry Smith has a large chunk of his own money in fundsmith so truly believes in what he does. There are other funds doing well also, it’s a matter of picking through them and being comfortable with short term losses and understanding you may have to hold longer term if things go bad for a while.
    I use interactive investor as an alternative to HL, they were cheaper but have restructed their pricing from £22.50 quarterly to £10 monthly, still reasonable though, and I didn’t really like some of the funds on the HL wealth 50 or the fact they they seemed to promote news items about particular funds over others (e.g. Woodford).

handybar
    Free Member

Terry Smith should be the Chancellor of the Exchequer. Impressive no-nonsense fund manager.

Del

looking at FS at the mo. am i missing something in it being priced at a 14% discount at the moment? risks are priced in i guess but even so?

db

Seems to be some knowledgeable folk on here. We are selling a rented property, after tax etc we should have about £60k and no idea what to do with it. We could buy another property but would need a bit of a mortgage. Or do we ‘invest’ in a fund. We already both are isa’d up to the max.

Note I have suggested coke and hookers but the Mrs has declined.

Is it time to get some proper advice? If so how do you find IFA you can trust?

Thanks db

hugo
    Free Member

Can’t remember where but on the subject of the Woodford debacle they were referencing a study on fund managers which found that it you took the top 5% in a 5 year window, only 8% managed to stay in the top 5% over the next 5 years…

Yep.

Fundsmith is a managed fund, nothing more, nothing less, but certainly not magic.

The vast majority of active funds under perform the market year on year. The ones that beat the market for a period of time, like Fundsmith or Mr Woodford’s vehicle, gain a mythological status.

Past performance is not indicator of future returns. By all means invest with this chap, but he not the messiah. Smith just has an investment fund and has rolled 6 a few times.

Even Buffet recommends that investors should just stick their cash in an index fund.

There’s always a new investment sage until it goes quiet.

By all means invest with them, it’s a sensible well diversified fund. However there are cheaper and far far more diversified funds out there.

IHN

What Hugo said.

alpin
    Free Member

Ballie Gifford Global Discovery is preforming well.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

“Looking at FS at the mo. am i missing something in it being priced at a 14% discount at the moment? risks are priced in i guess but even so?“

If it’s quoting a discount I guess you’re looking at Smithson which is an investment trust (therefore trades at a discount \ premium)

This is a different fund to the popular Fundsmith (which is open ended and won’t trade at a premium / discount)

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

If you want to compare various Funds and Trusts have a look here;https://www.trustnet.com/
    It can be confusing so play around with it but it’ll tell you which Trusts or funds are good/bad over 1m-5 years, which sectors are performing, etc, etc…
    Personally, I love Baillie Gifford Trusts. SMT and EWT are proven performers doing spectacularly at the moment. Many of their trusts/Funds are regular top 5 contenders, if not leaders…

hugo
    Free Member

it’ll tell you which Trusts or funds are good/bad over 1m-5 years,

Past performance….. etc, etc.

Del

If it’s quoting a discount I guess you’re looking at Smithson which is an investment trust (therefore trades at a discount \ premium)

No. Price vs. NAV on FS.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Del – got a link to where that’s being shown?

Confused as in all my (albeit limited) time of looking at OEIC’s they don’t trade at a premium / discount (accepting the buy/sell spread)

The open ended nature of the fund means the price should reflect the underlying assets, not the demand for the fund itself.

Del

Not just me then! 😀
    HL

thekingisdead
    Free Member

That fund linked to is their emerging markets investment trust – not the original fundsmith.

It’s an investment trust (closed ended) hence the discount / premium.

IHN

Personally, I love Baillie Gifford Trusts. SMT and EWT are proven performers doing spectacularly at the moment.

footflaps

Ballie Gifford Global Discovery is preforming well.

Also look at their Scottish Mortgage Trust fund though, one of the top performers of all Trust funds this year (and luckily my single largest fund holding)…

https://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/news/203641/best-and-worst-performing-investment-trusts-of-2020-so-far.aspx

alpin
    Free Member

@ footflaps

Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust

?

Might bung a bit of spare cash on there…..

footflaps

Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust.

Yep, I first invested some of the wife’s pension in it a few years back when I must have read about it somewhere, that investment has since trebled in value. I’ve then been putting more into it over the years, probably now have 20% of my pension in it. It’s a tech heavy fund, quite concentrated, so relatively high risk, but stellar performance over the last few years.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

“stellar performance over the last few years.”

17% pa on average over the last 100 years…

Currently soaring thanks to being heavily into Tesla, and rivalling Gold mines’ performance this year…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Fundsmith advice for newbie’ is closed to new replies.