Fun and efficient hardtail, 650b, 29er

Home Forum Bike Forum Fun and efficient hardtail, 650b, 29er

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fun and efficient hardtail, 650b, 29er
  • cyclebiker

On One 45650b’s are currently on offer from on one eBay and the new Parkwood might tick your boxes.

Premier Icon sillyoldman
    Subscriber

If you decide to stick with 29ers, I’ve got a Honzo frame in medium for sale. Recently replaced it with a Zealous Division – also a 29er.

If of interest, email is in my profile.

Premier Icon sillyoldman
    Subscriber

The Parkwood is closer to the Ramin than the frames the OP mentions.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Then 650b came along, is it really best of both worlds?

Yes/No/Maybe (delete as appropriate)

650b is exactly what it is… A compromise between 26″ wheels and 29ers. You’ll either think it’s bloody wonderful, hate it, or be indifferent to it depending on your standpoint. Only you will know.

If you want a proper fun HT though, geometry is going to be the key. Fun 29ers do exist, despite what the nay sayers may have you believe. Mega short chainstays aren’t all they’re cracked up to be though, sure I’d avoid anything much above about 445mm but there are frames like the Kinesis FF29 which is an absolute hoot to ride, that still have middling length chainstays.

650b wheels don’t have the grip that 29ers offer though, although as you might expect, they’re a slight improvement over 26″ wheels.

deanfbm

How was the hozo, barrel of laughs that could keep up with the xc machines or a planted, harsh lead weight?

What tyres do you have on your 29er?

deanfbm

Got an itch for a new hardtail.

Currently got a pinnicle ramin, it’s a 29er, i love the grip and the efficiency, kind of lacking in the fun department.

Reach is too short for a proper short stem, chainstays are pretty long. It jumps and manuals ok, more of a chore than a joy though.

So was looking at stuff like the kona honzo/taro, proper geo, so mega short CS, steep SA, long reach and tt, intended for properly short stems.

Then 650b came along, is it really best of both worlds? i love the efficiency from being able to run slick tyres on a 29er whilst still having grip as well as the way they carve (due to the low bb?), just can’t have mega fun on it like my old blender.

So am i looking at 650b or 29er with the right geo?

Premier Icon sillyoldman
    Subscriber

Deanfbm – somewhere between the two!

ska-49

Kona Explosif 650b!

Premier Icon jameso
    Subscriber

In the Ramin’s defence, the reach, HA and other numbers are pretty close to some other fun 29ers. 435mm stays aren’t long as such. But it’s not long enough in the reach for 40-50mm stems really, with 100-120mm forks we felt it went well with 60-80mms. It takes an FD if needed so it’s got up to 10mm on the stays over a honzo or similar.

It sounds like you might be more into a smaller-wheel bike. I have a 650B bike due with a geometry that is closer to what you’re talking about, simply think that 40-50mm stems, jumps etc go with the 650 more than a 29, 29 is more all-round trail riding to me. No intent to start any debate over wheels, pros<>cons, there is crossover, it depends on the rider etc.

GEDA

I really like my Titus Fireline 29er. Cannot really see the point of a 650b unless you want wheels that are a bit stronger and a bit less flexy but the 29er does jumps and drops fine.

Depends on your riding though as I still ride my 26 inch bikes when I do bigger/more messy stuff and although I am not going to spend money on the next wheel size yet I am sure they are great.

plyphon

ding ding ding full house on wheel size bullshit bingo!

650b wheels don’t have the grip that 29ers offer though, although as you might expect, they’re a slight improvement over 26″ wheels.

egb81

I’d second the Zealous Division 29er. I was a big wheel skeptic until I rode one. It’s a silly amount of fun to ride with the perks of both big wheels and short chainstays, which make it a blast to ride on singletrack.

chip

ding ding ding full house on wheel size bullshit bingo!

Leave it !

chriswilk

6 months ago I was looking for a new HT.
    Rejected the Ramin and many others (in particular Cubes) on the fact that the top tube is really short.
    Ended up with a scott scale 650b, which is supposed to be racey, it is fast, but also fun as there is plenty of room.
    The Whytes seem to have equally long top tubes also.

Look at the geometry as a whole, not just wheel size.

I think my new HT is much better than the old one, but most if not all is to do with the angles/sizes of the tubes and not the wheel size.

Whyte 905 geometry looks amazing as does the commencal meta HT.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fun and efficient hardtail, 650b, 29er’ is closed to new replies.