Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Full XT M8000 group set or shop around?
  • baileyswalk
    Free Member

Looking on CRC (and other sites) I see you can get a full XT M8000 groupset, rotors & all, for about £450.

This seems like a not bad deal… but would I be better NOT going full XT? Any parts in the package where I’d be better looking for second hand?

£450 is pretty much my budget, if I can do it cheaper – even better!

jeffl

Go for a full SLX grouper? Alternatively mix and match so SLX brakes, derailleur, crank and cassette with XT shifters.

Edit: Or maybe even go for deore brakes as well?

baileyswalk
    Free Member

What’s the compromise there? Is it just a weight penalty? My thoughts were that maybe some of the components in he XT group were weak and should be swapped out for better??

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jeffl

Weight and bling. I know xt shifters used to be nicer than SLX on 10 speed, not sure how they compare on 11speed.

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

I’m running m8000 mech, shifter, cassette, cranks and brakes. It’s all very good, apart from the brakes which always seem to have air in them no matter how I bleed them. The older M785/6’s are way better in my experience.

warns74
    Free Member

Personal preference but I’d buy SRAM GX and the XT brakes.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Get an XTR shifter…

akira

Xt with sram guide brakes and sram cassette on xd freehub is what I’d plump for. But probably do xtr shifters.

andeh

At the time I bought mine I opted for XTR shifter (the non brake mounted XT ones look naff and I had old SLX brakes) and am glad I did. Shifters last for years, may as well get a nice one.

XT brakes don’t have much over the SLX ones, so could save there? Some bargains to be had on older models.

chrishc777
    Free Member

For me it would be Sram cassette and chain, Saint brakes, XTR shifter, SLX mech and RaceFace cranks if I was going 11 speed.

Full Saint 10 speed is too nice to bother though

baileyswalk
    Free Member

Was going for 11 speed. Had heard the SRAM cassette was better, would need to also change my hope free hub tho so will need to factor that in. Also wasn’t sure about the XT brakes but upgrading the shifters is news to me but seems to be a common theme. It’s a winter build project anyway so guess I’ll just keep an eye out for some bargains on the forums.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Full XT M8000 group set or shop around?’ is closed to new replies.