Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Full width SS cassette spacer, any ideas?
  • Shergie
    Free Member

Morning guys,

A question for the fount of knowledge that is the STW massive, i have a geared king hub and want to run it with a single cog. Obviously i dont want the cog to dig in to the freehub – is there a spacer that spreads out the load (Think alu cassette carrier vs. steel)?

Thanks in advance

J

xraymtb
    Free Member

The spacers doesnt take any load it just spaces out the cog on the body of the hub/freewheel.

If you are worried about digging into the freehub, get a wide based cog – these spread the load in the way you are talking about much more than a simple pressed cog. Surly do them if you want a known brand, Velosolo do an identical cog for less without the name and Superstar does a wide cog for less again (and is what I use).

Tom83

2nd for the Superstar cog, using it on my XT hub and after a few hundred miles it’s still looking fine. They do a wide cog starter kit for about a tenner iirc.

bassspine
    Free Member

surly would be my suggestion

martinxyz
    Free Member

Is this still a problem for ss sprockets on soft splines? I thought that some company with loads of time and money would have come up with a ss kit that has the sprocket tapering or stepping into something around 14mm-ish where it contacts the splines by now. it wouldnt be as adjustable but so much less of a ball-ache.

Alcopop
    Free Member

I use a Chris King 16t ss sprocket pretty wide base never had any issues

Shergie
    Free Member

xraymtb
    thats what i was on about – thanks all. Will probabally go for the surly one 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

Someone off here managed to bodge something from an SRAM hub. I’d just look for a wide based sprocket. Surly or Superstarcomponents.

jambon
    Free Member

Surly Sprockets are really broad at the base and very nicely made from steel. I had a gussett industries spacer until my Surly was stolen…

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’ve got a nice wide 15t cog. I occasionally run a slim cog for other gearing, and can see where it has dug into the freehub.

I was swapping these bits onto the Specialized hubbed wheel I have on my wife’s bike, but discovered that my combination of wide cog and Fire Eye spacers set wouldn’t fit on that hub. I’d presumably need to mix and match a couple of sets of spacers, or try a different set of spacers to get the Spesh hub to work. No issues with my Mavic wheel though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Full width SS cassette spacer, any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.