Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Full suss advice needed
  • hooja
    Free Member

Right then
    I’ve only been riding xc/endurance hardtail and gravel bikes for years now
    However, my boy is really getting into downhill, alpine style riding and I am pretty happy to get back into it too.
    I don’t want a fit for purpose enduro bike anymore, at all and am looking for a good balance.
    I basically want a transition spur but… I really can’t afford to spend that much

I’d love some advice on what’s out there, a bit older and a lot cheaper, that would be a good compromise in line with the style of the spur

Cheers

thebunk

I looked at YT Izzo, Cotic Flaremax, Sonder Cortex and Bird Aether 9. Suspect they’re all brilliant but I could justify the Spur as a fairly harmless manifestation of the start of my midlife crisis 😉

Can you find any Spurs in stock? I think I got the last one mid last year! It is bloody amazing though.

Sorry, should have stopped at my first 😉

dyna-ti

Just keep your eye on tri-sport-resort, Wiggles clearance outlet.

Know your budget, know your size and just bid your max at the end. Completed listings is full of bargains, so they do go for very keen prices. I reckon most of the time the ‘used’ arent really. Been on a test or two, or shop soiled to display models.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_ssn=tri-sport_resort&_sop=3&_trkparms=folent%3Atri-sport_resort%7Cfolenttp%3A1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Mountain+Bike

Its not that unusual to see bikes going for 1/2 new price, even new models.

hooja
    Free Member

Thanks
    Good tip on the tri sport thing too, cheers

I’m considering the 290 nukeproof reactor, as an affordable alternative and more used options available for sale.

I’d be interested in hearing any thoughts on it as a close second to the spur?

At 5’11” I’m always on the bottom end of large and seen a couple of mediums at keen prices. Be interested to hear any sizing views too
    Cheers

hooja
    Free Member

…and the yt Izzo

intheborders
    Free Member

IME don’t be blinded by spec – how it rides is far, far more important and how it suits where YOU ride is even more important.

jimdubleyou

I basically want a transition spur but… I really can’t afford to spend that much

That was me, I bought an Izzo. It’s a hoot.

richardkennerley

I was looking at the same range of bikes, add to that the canyon spectral 125, SC hightower and norco optic.

Sacked all that off and ended up choosing a cotic jeht! I’m no help.

devash
    Free Member

An off the shelf Spur is closer to an XC / Trail bike than a full on Trail or Enduro one so factor that in. You can go frame only (if you can find one!) and put burlier suspension on but then it takes away some of the playfulness.

YT Izzo / Cotoc FlareMax / new Stumpjumper are better alternatives if you are going to be doing a lot of descending. The Spur will be faster uphill than any of those, and just as fast downhill, but when it gets rough and chunky that SID XC suspension packs in a bit and struggles.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my Spur, but if I was going to be riding more Enduro type stuff then it wouldn’t be the bike I’d take.

hooja
    Free Member

That’s exactly the challenge and why I’d love a spur
    It will mainly be still used for endurance xc, multi day Itt sort of stuff but then occasionally use it for enduro and alpine stuff with the boy (I used to ride all that stuff on hardcore hardtail a anyway, so I’m not after the plush descending ability really)

All the info leads the spur to be my best compromise but price is just too high

The izzo sounds like a good alternative at the moment

bentudder

I’d consider buying a bike specifically for DH / Enduro rather than compromising and buying a bike that does that plus what you like to do, if that makes sense. Apologies if I’m misreading your post. Would a slightly older Enduro-y bike bought second hand be worth considering? By way of example: I have a 2014 Process 111 that is perfect for most of the riding I do in the Surrey Hills, but can get a bit knackering at BPW for the one or two uplift days I do a year. If I were doing a bit more and the kids were really getting into uplift, I’d consider something with 5-6″ travel specifically for that sort of riding that’s enough of a bargain to spend a fair amount of time in the shed. Not sure if that opens up your options; if you have the budget a Spur or Izzo would be fantastic.

hooja
    Free Member

I already have too many toys and 3 bikes, so really after a different bike to replace my main endurance xc hardtail, tat is also a bit more fun on the downhill stuff.
    I quite like using slightly inappropriate stuff for things too haha

HobNob
    Free Member

I’d consider buying a bike specifically for DH / Enduro rather than compromising and buying a bike that does that plus what you like to do, if that makes sense. Apologies if I’m misreading your post.

I think you are misreading, he did imply mainly for XC/Endurance/Trail & occasional bigger, tougher days.

The reality is, a Spur is more than capable of pretty much most stuff. I would have no issue with taking mine on an uplift day, or to the Alps. I’d swap the wheels to something more durable & run some big tyres, and on the really fast, rough stuff, I’d accept the compromise I wouldn’t be as fast, but it would still be fine.

I’d rather it that way round for those holiday trips/odd occasions I would do that sort of riding than compromise the other 50 weeks of the years riding.

That said, my Spur is running a Pike & Deluxe Ultimate, mostly because it’s better than the SID stuff 🙂

And I should probably point out, I’m fortunate enough to have a big bike too – that said if I could only have one, I’d keep the Spur, because you really can do everything on it, and it’s bloody brilliant fun.

Edited to add: Spur, Izzo, Stumpy, Top Fuel, Spark – lot of bikes in that shorter travel trail geo world now to consider.

bentudder

Fair enough – sounds like the Spur is the one. I should probably join the queue as well 😀

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

How about a Smuggler?
    I’ve used mine in Bpw, Alps, Andorra, granted I didn’t do the big lines, but blues and reds without problem

militantmandy
    Free Member

What about a Norco Optic (if you can get one)?

argee

I was the same, Spur was what i was after, but none available at the time and it was a bit expensive, ended up with the Norco Optic, really like it after having it tweaked and set up, but in all honesty, it’s a pretty simple 4 bar design with the performance you’d expect.

The problem is that Tredz were doing them, and now seem to be pretty limited on Norco, YT Izzo is a good shout, it’s pretty similar in most ways, the Optic is a little more trail compared to the Izzo/Spur, but again, there’s lots of bikes on the market that can do the same type of stuff as the Spur/Izzo, the markets pretty similar with these ‘downcountry’ bikes these days.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I was looking at similar bikes last year and ultimately decided I probably don’t have the talent to pull off ‘down country’ and would be better off with a little more travel and Pike/Deluxe rather than SID level suspension (story’s of bushing problems with SIDs didn’t help). For me it came down to Norco Optic or Kona Process 134 and I went for the Kona.

Spur, Izzo, Stumpy, Top Fuel, Spark – lot of bikes in that shorter travel trail geo world now to consider.

Add Epic Evo and that’s pretty much the list I was looking at

Garry_Lager

Vitus rapide fs is back in stock at crc – well quoted endurance fs, great value.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d love some advice on what’s out there, a bit older and a lot cheaper, that would be a good compromise in line with the style of the spur

Secondhand Orange Stage 4, with a -2deg headset.

Review: Orange Stage 4 – the lockdown lifesaver

Now added a Cane Creek DB inline air shock and a Pike and it’s a proper #shorttravelshredsled

Highly recommended.

deviant
    Free Member

After years of spending thousands on bikes and building from frame only, chasing the latest Geo etc…I’ve just bought a 2016 Lapierre Zesty for £600
    If I remember correctly it was a 150/150 travel trail bike, the last owner saw fit to install a 160mm Pike which is nice, I’ve changed the brakes over to current XT 4-pots…and we’re good to go, the HA is listed as 67 degrees which is unacceptably steep these days but hasn’t held me back…it’s a lighter build than current Enduro gnarpoons meaning it pedals well and don’t feel a chore on hills either – the second hand market is awash with good bikes for less than a grand.

jairaj

Add Evil The Following v3 and Santa Cruz Tallboy to your list.

Both 130mm/120mm travel bikes but with geometry suitable for doing more technical trails. They are great all rounders that can climb well yet also confidence inspiring so you can have some real good fun on the downs and just enough travel to bail you out when you run out of talent but not too much such that less technical trails feel sanitised.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

A local bike shop to me sells great S/H enduro bikes. Advertises on Pinkbike, but he’s got a nice specialized enduro in at the moment
    https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Felltraxcyclescumbria/buysell/

chakaping
    Free Member

the HA is listed as 67 degrees which is unacceptably steep these days

If it takes headset cups (rather than being integrated), Superstar do a nice quality -2 degree headset for a reasonable price.

Bike will still pedal just as well.

stanley

Santa Cruz Tallboy. 130/140mm up front and 120mm at the back (but feels like more when descending). One bike to do it all.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.