Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Full suss 29er advice
  • lee-bee
    Free Member

I have just sold my rigid 29er scandal and thinking of going back to full suss in 29er guise. But there was one thing I hated about the scandal which was how much effort required to just pop a little manual to get over logs etc the front end did not want to come up. Is this the case with all 29ers?? I was going to buy 26 but I am unsure about buying a outdated bike after looking around in the sales. I was looking at a trance x1 29er if anyone has one. Cheers!!!

boxelder

Test ride…….
    Of 3 29ers I’ve had, the scandal is the least ‘playfull’.
    Adjustment to technique needed, but 26ers certainly easier to manual, all else being equal.

enmac
    Free Member

I have a Trance X 29er, only ridden it 3 times so still getting used to it. Haven’t consciously being trying to manual it but I managed a climb with ease that requires lifting the front wheel up rock steps that I usually stall on a 26er. Generally very impressed and the frames are currently going cheap at JE James.

lee-bee
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys. I am going to demo some bikes this week. I am tempted to go old school 26″, its just the resale value I fear in 2 years time when I normally feel like a change, it might be like having a cassette player in your car now!!

mlbasiliere
    Free Member

If you can get your hands on a Devinci Atlas, those seem to pop up nicely for a 29er. I’m thinking that it’s the super-short ‘stays. Of course, a 27.5 will probably both pop wheelies and hold its value better than a 26in.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Try a whyte T129 ….I had a few 29ers and it is by far the easiest to manual with its short chain stays and seat tube angle

If you’re in Somerset you’re welcome to have a spin on mine

JCL
    Free Member

Higher the BB/shorter the stays the easier it’ll manual.

I would recommend learning how to manual any bike rather than limit your choices because of those criteria though.

kettlefishbanana

Pivot 429. Short stays. Nice angles. Oh and a fantastic Chris Cocalis DW link

kayak23

lee bee – Member
    Thanks for the replys. I am going to demo some bikes this week. I am tempted to go old school 26″, its just the resale value I fear in 2 years time when I normally feel like a change, it might be like having a cassette player in your car now!!

Please take yourself outside and have a word with yourself.
    🙄

roverpig

I shouldn’t worry about it. Unloading a 26″ bike might be an issue right now as there seem to be a lot of people like you who worry that it will become obsolete. But, in a few years time people will realise that 26″ bikes aren’t going anywhere and it won’t be any harder to shift than any other bike.

I do wonder whether all these competing standards aren’t just a way of trying to kill off the second hand market though. Chances are that whatever bike you buy now you’ll struggle to buy new forks or wheels for in a few years. It doesn’t mater what size they are, but they’ll probably have changes axles or brake mounts or something again by then.

gonesailing
    Free Member

Yep, Pivot 429. awesome bike

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m not a great manualer but am working on it but my covert 29er is easy to manual. I can get the front wheel up no probs and instantly without much effort. It’s tricky to keep it up for any length of time, but that’s my lack of talent at work. The best thing is that if you want to do an emergency manual, so if you come upto a big puddle unexpectedly or a bit of a step drop, I can pop the front wheel up effortlessly and immediately, so 29ers can manual no probs. the covert 29 is plenty playful.

robbieclay

leebee if you’re still looking my whyte T129s is for sale new drivetrain and fork service £1200. Manuals and hops like a playful 26er. Find me through here if interested cheers.

Northwind

FWIW the 29er I’ve liked the most is the Orange Five, which is weird because I’m a h8er… But it’s bags of fun to ride, very waggy-tailed and not at all like the old (rubbish) 29er xc bikes I tried a couple of years ago. It’s not so much a 29er, it’s just a bike. Sure it won’t be alone but I’ve not ridden another that’s quite like that

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Full suss 29er advice’ is closed to new replies.