Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • "full suspension dulls the trail" really?
  • robd

I read this fairly often on here and wander do people not go quicker down a rough trail faster on their full suspension bike than on their hardtail if going down the same trail?

If you are hitting a trail quicker then it isn’t really becoming more dull as the extra speed/rougher lines that you would take on a full suspension bike make it as exciting as riding said trail slower or more conservatively on your hardtail. So why the whole dulls the trail argument?

zippykona

And damn them pneumatic tyres as well.

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-8wDQMD7FNU[/video]

wolfrider
    Free Member

Love my fs trail bike much more comfortable than a hardtail on all day rides and never found myself going downhill thinking this is dull.

scaredypants

FS can only be redeemed by using the 650b revitalising wonderwheels, any fool knows that

robd

So 650b solid tyres on wooden wheels for the ultimate trail feedback then?

garage-dweller

Because not all our trails are that lumpy?

Also possibly it’s not how fast you go but how challenged you are or how many fillings you shake out. for me the riding I do and my level of skill I will choose getting roughed up at a slightly lower speed and giggle like i’m a third of my age!!!

Spin
    Free Member

I buy it.

Plenty of trails that I find boring on the FS and a hoot on the rigid.

Horses for courses.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

On the contrary, for me it livens an otherwise flat and dull trail for me. Maybe i’m getting old, but the last time I hit the trail with my hard tail, I nearly came a cropper in the first few miles as I had to completely re-calibrate my speed, also after the ride I felt i’d done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. I can ride harder for longer on a soft tail. The Hard tail is now gone.

yunki
    Free Member

there… I think wobbliscott’s testimony above clearly shows that soft tails are indeed, for girls

robd

I was wandering why I suddenly had a higher pitched voice when riding my full suspension over my hardtail.

Junkyard
    Free Member

DP

Junkyard
    Free Member

They both have their place but its clearly harder to ride a Hardtail than a FS. Picking lines , getting bounced around etc. For some reason we describe this as “dulls” the trail

Like both personally but i can ride stuff much more easily on the FS than the hardtail

khani
    Free Member

I like both, and not so much for what trail I’m riding but what mood I’m in..
    It’s a hobby not a religion, ride whatever you want even if its different to someone else..
    Sorry… 😳

bikeneil
    Free Member

Niche-mongers fear the full sus. Just saying…

06awjudd
    Free Member

It probably does somewhat dull the trail if your local riding route involves pavements and towpaths.

falkirk-mark

I think if you live/ride in Scoland a full sus is required. I suppose if you live down south you would get away with a hardtail (or are poor or super gnarr up here)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Sold my beloved 456ti and Enduro (not so beloved) and bought one bike for all trails (to me) with a Santa Cruz Blur LTc.

So far, I’m loving it. More confidence all round. No regrets and I did think I might regret selling the 456ti but I don’t.

I do believe a hard tail makes you ride better however. You have to as there is no skill compensator at the back to save you when oh mess it all up.

I’m not arsed if Im faster or slower. All I know is I’m enjoying myself (again).

BTW the Enduro made the Peaks very dull indeed. I didn’t find that bike fun anywhere though..

yorlin
    Free Member

Full sus is a life saver if you have piles.

nacho
    Free Member

LOL @ Yorlin, true dat!

singlespeedstu

It’s all about perseption and taste though innit.

One persons techy and sketchy on a full suss might be another persons dull as **** on a hardtail.
    Ride whatever makes you feel good and don’t give a **** about what others are doing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as said before they both have their place.

The evidence I get from looking around doesn’t seem to stack up though. If Less is more fun then why do all the guys riding round rigid always look so grumpy 🙂

It’s also a way to big up yourself by implying that riding FS is only for people who can’t hack riding HT which is obviously so much better and they have more skills, bigger manhoods and have way more luck with the ladies.

samuri
    Free Member

ooh this thread has caused me some issues.

Full suss is nice. I doubt it dulls the trails though, that’s a silly statement.

But riding on the edge on limited technology blows the latest kit out of the water IME.

Still, whatever floats your boat as far as I’m concerned.

rickmeister

“HT Makes the trail come alive”

IGMC

ali69er
    Free Member

Got a full sus a few months back, completely re-invigorated my riding. Never worth the money but am back in love with biking. Still got my hardtail, just great for round town.

jonba
    Free Member

If you live in the lakes then fine. I live in Newcastle and plenty of my rides are very local. There isn’t much technical challenge. But the rooty singletrack on my CX or hardtail requires line picking, jumping and thought. On my full suss I can just pedal through it. Great for strava, but I ride to be challenged. I tend to ride my as hardtail on rides I know are easier to make them harder. Occasionally I’ll ride them on harder trails for variety. I nearly always race on my full suss.

cookeaa

…I read this fairly often on here…

I don’t recall reading that on here before.

Most people seem to understand that FS and HT bikes are equally good, just for slightly different types of terrain and riding.

Its just Imagined tribalism.

johnhe

I own both, but in flatter trails, there is no doubt in my mind that my susser does indeed “dull the trails”. Yes it means I can ride faster and smoother, but there is no doubt is makes it easier, which sometimes means less engaging.

_tom_
    Free Member

I think I’m actually finding fs more fun on most trails. Even smooth blues etc. Just feels more balanced and I love pumping out of a berm on a fs. Hardtail is better for boring bridleway type riding though I guess, and better for jumps. I feel I have to set my forks up pretty hard for a hardtail otherwise it feels all divey and unbalanced.

roverpig

It’s the boingy bits that makes riding off-road fun. More boingy bits = more fun.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have I only ridden a HT (apart from demos) so I am intrigued by this connected, harder riding stuff that I do apparently. Is it the bit where my saddle kicks me up the proverbial on the rough stuff? If so, I should stopping being mean on myself and get unconnected. Sounds fun!

Northwind

Bikes are good. Sometimes I ride my bike that does one thing better than the other bikes, other times I ride my bike that does something else better than those bikes.

I think I’ll ride one now.

crosshair
    Free Member

I paid good money to make sure my bike ‘dulls the trails’ and a damn good job it does of it too 😀

fervouredimage
    Free Member

The thing is riding hardtails or rigid makes you feel like you a riding faster than when you are riding FS so riding a HT is probably a little more satisfying in that regard.

For me riding FS is more fun because you have no excuses. The bikes push you to push your riding ability, to hit things faster than you dare.

The one thing I hear more than anything else with HT or rigid riders is that ‘they can’t hit it that fast or do that jump or do that section because they are on a HT or rigid’ so it begs the question; why bother then? I want to be able to ride the most extreme of terrain, I don’t want to have to stop or slow to a crawl for a section so a FS bike will always be my choice.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It seems to me that one advantage of an FS over a hardtail is that it can provide a sort of whip out of a turn, a bit like a ski.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

This is why you all need 650b, because – it simply brings the trail alive

Cheers,
    Danny B, no sorry , bikeind

ask1974
    Free Member

The one thing I hear more than anything else with HT or rigid riders is that ‘they can’t hit it that fast or do that jump or do that section because they are on a HT or rigid’ so it begs the question; why bother then? I want to be able to ride the most extreme of terrain, I don’t want to have to stop or slow to a crawl for a section so a FS bike will always be my choice.

This. I’m far from the best rider but I can hold my own on fast, technical Singletrack. The buzz I get is riding every decent as fast as possible and taking new, challenging lines whenever I find them. A FS allows me to push myself much, much harder. On a HT I used to find myself being a lot more cautious and picking ‘safer’ lines – something a better rider would not be hampered by…

The term skill compensator is very apt IMO but should not be used negatively. It is a MTB riders best tool as it allows you to do stuff you simply wouldn’t try on a more basic bike. To answer the original question though; does a FS dull the trail? Depends how you ride and where. Not much point if you only ever ride tow paths!

deadkenny
    Free Member

A full sus doesn’t dull a trail, nor does a hard tail. It’s all down to how you ride it. You can make any trail interesting if you want.

That said a flat smooth dull trail isn’t necessarily improved by a full sus (*cough* Swinley *cough* 😉 ) and a hard tail can at least bump the interest or at least challenge.

A good trail however can be interesting on both. The ride is just different. The full sus will let you go nuts on a steep rocky or rooty descent at speeds in ways that a hard tail will be difficult to control and rattle the hell out of you, but picking lines carefully and efficient riding can come from taking a hard tail down the same trail that can be a reward when you get the full sus out later.

yunki
    Free Member

For the reasons stated above, hardtails and rigid bikes should also be viewed generally as skills compensators..

I’m a old duffer, unfit, no bottle and little skill.. By riding a rigid bike it’s the perfect excuse for not riding certain lines, being slow on the descents, taking the chicken line and generally mincing about..

All this ‘full sus is cheating’ nonsense is back to front

yunki
    Free Member

Double post

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘"full suspension dulls the trail" really?’ is closed to new replies.