Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • full-sus singlespeed/hub-gear chainline issues
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Not for me, but my LBS. They’re building a Giant Trance with an Alfine hub. To cope with the chainlength variation, they fitted a Rohloff double-cog tensioner, but because that’s designed for a rohloff’s 54mm chainline only, it doesn’t work with the Alfine’s 47.5mm.
    Single-cog tensioners, for converting hardtails, have adjustable chainline, but can’t cope with the range of motion (and aren’t really designed to oscillate).
    the only solutions seems to be a short-cage rear mech.
    Anyone have any ideas?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d use an old mech (and have done HT ss)

Kahurangi

Shimano do a chain tensioner in the Alfine range – tell John to get his Medison product book out! The Alfine (maybe Nexus?) tension is like a simplified rear mech and has enough throw to cope with a double chainring.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Markie
    Free Member

Perhaps either the Paul Melvin or the Rohloff Chain Tensioner?

I prefer the Rohloff, FWIW (but that preference is based entirely on looks!).

Oh, and Rohloff do the DH Chain Tensioner especially for the gravity assisted set as well.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Markie – did you read my post? the rohloff doesn’t fit!

yess pro etr could work too

Markie
    Free Member

Oops, sorry! Obvs not well enough! 😀

james-o
    Free Member

use a nexus sprocket – it’s dished – and flip it over to get a different chainline, 52mm i think. it’s how the iO ID works with MTB single ring cranks. it’s not perfect but works fine with an 8-spd chain.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

James, is that dished more than the ALfine?
    I’ve flipped my Alfine over to get 47.5, rather than 42.5. and so have the guys in the shop.

epicyclo

I was under the impression that there was very little chain growth in a Trance (or was it an Anthem?)

If so then a normal sprung tensioner should cope.

Worth checking if the actual figure isn’t known.

adeward
    Free Member

i know you wont like it ,, but it works ,, this is a very old sunn dh device ,, i have run this as a SS and alfine ( also has QR alfine setup) and earlier on a SS mount vision since 1999

James O can you resend me email add as the one you sent doesnt seem to work

epicyclo

Must get myself one of those…

Proper suspension.

flatfish
    Free Member

Rohloff tensioner works with my Giant bouncy SS fine.
    Spoke to Giant about it before splashing out on the ridiculously expensive Rohloff part and they said “errrr, don’t know. Can you give us a call back if it works so we know”.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘full-sus singlespeed/hub-gear chainline issues’ is closed to new replies.