Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Full Sus Quiver killer…
  • rj
    Free Member

I tried a few bikes at the recent demo day at GT and the one that impressed me most was the Carbon Trek Remedy. Climbs fantastically well and descends in an admirable fashion. It would probably benefit from a beefier fork, but other than that it’s a really versatile, fun bike.

FWIW I don’t own one.

TheFlyingOx

As other’s have said, everyone thinks their bike is the best.
    Accordingly, my suggestion for “quiver killer” is the Pronghorn PR6 Trail. Academic, seeing as they don’t make them anymore, but I’m not for changing it any time soon.

OP – you thought about a Pivot Mach 5.7? I’ve tried the older Mach 5 and it’s very, very good indeed. The 5.7 reviews suggest it’s even better.

toys19
    Free Member

Hmm I’m a bit suspicious about the weights quoted here, if that bionicon is 29lbs then I might need to reassess the laws of physics, same with the op’s voltage at 34lbs?
    I have weighed my covert a good few times and with coil 36’s a coil van rc titanium spring, ks lev, halo freedom disc wheels, 160mm discs its 35-36 lbs. My mates covert is 32 with reverb, air 36’s and an rp23. I do not claim the covert is light in any way, but either of the examples above must be round about the same weight or heavier.

So that being said:
    a) get realistic about weight
    b) get a covert, its brill climbs well, great all day and descends like a demon.

Kahurangi

I’m wondering what is out there which is lightweight, has 2×10 and is loads of fun to ride (and climbs hills)??

Anyone got a bike they consider the proverbial quiver killer?? (has to be Full Sus though)??

Not mine but ticks all the boxes (also see that The Flying Ox got half way here with his answer 😉 )

Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon.

It goes uphill, downhill, uplift, downhill, and all over.

stuey
    Free Member

“Fireball XL5 …. its the only way to be sure.”

andyrm
    Free Member

Hmm I’m a bit suspicious about the weights quoted here, if that bionicon is 29lbs then I might need to reassess the laws of physics, same with the op’s voltage at 34lbs?

Have a a peek here at the official Bionicon Facebook – a larger frame (medium, mine’s a small), running 2×10 and 2.5 Maxxis Minions, plus a heavier build spec, came in at 32lbs with pedals 🙂

Alva 180 Air

We weighed mine as part of forthcoming promo for the Alva 180 Air – you’d be surprised how light they are relative to what people expect when looking at them 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

There are many options out there and a really nice situation to be in OP 😀

So, I’ll add to the mix! My early impressions of this bike are very very positive (and some would say that I would say that, after shelling out a not inconsiderable amount of my hard-earned on a new bike 😉 ), in terms of climbing and descending abilities.

I’m still fettling with my preferred set-up to give a full review, however, my initial foray’s have shown it responds very nicely to deftness of touch and has amazing directional control at both slow and fast speeds. My current quandary is whether to run wider bars than the 685mm one’s at present…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Toys19 “op’s voltage at 34lbs”

It’s running with Tubeless flows running Conti MK2s, Fox 36 Air RC2s and Bos Vip’r – Defo 34lbs even with a Reverb – The frame is about the same weight as the covert. It’s an awesome bike, but just slightly too much for longer rides and steeper climbs.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I can see a few demo rides coming up.

andyrm
    Free Member

That Pyga looks sweet!! 🙂

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Muddyfunstet, we’re agreeing ultimately though our view on value might be different. You mention the £3k, but that’s chuffing expensive for a bike. There are bikes at half that cost that are easily at less than half the bike or even as good. I just think setting a budget then looking for a bike to meet that is a bit of the tail wagging the dog and people might look over a decent bike just cause its cheaper than their budget and might be missing out on a bike that might be better for them.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

wobbliscott

Muddyfunstet, we’re agreeing ultimately though our view on value might be different. You mention the £3k, but that’s chuffing expensive for a bike. There are bikes at half that cost that are easily at less than half the bike or even as good. I just think setting a budget then looking for a bike to meet that is a bit of the tail wagging the dog and people might look over a decent bike just cause its cheaper than their budget and might be missing out on a bike that might be better for them.

Ah yes, I’ll agree that on the one hand letting budget dictate the bike might not be the best way, but at the same time if someone has a budget, and that’s what they can afford to spend then there’s no reason why they shouldnt spend it on something they like if they can afford it.

I think the relative value/cost of high end mountain bikes is a whole other subject. I’m not wealthy by any stretch but for me £5k is expensive for a bike but not unjustifiable.

As for a £1500 rrp bike being better than the 2013 Enduro, well I would have to ride it back to back but I very seriously doubt it.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Full Sus Quiver killer…’ is closed to new replies.